Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

I'm back . . . . . Again.
    Geez. It's like I can't win. I get electric and heat back after 7 days and then I lose internet and phones. Then a NorEaster hits and we get 7" of snow.
    Again, I really shoudn't complain. I've got so much to be thankful for.
    I just spent another day in Breezy Point and OMG it's a horror show. It's like watching the walking wounded that have no where to go. There's no water, no electric and what looks like no hope in anyone's eyes. 2800 hundred homes and minimally 10,000 people displaced -- But then there are the volunteers. It was so very humbling. People from all across the Country. I've met people from Texas -- Dallas, specifically, Missouri, Arkansas, California -- and on and on and on. Students from Loyola and 20 other Universities, Marines, National Guard Members -- literally overwhelming support and love. These people are in the trenches -- carrying the debris of what is left to the "community pile". It's overwhelming.

And then there are the Firemen. They are everywhere you look-- all on their own time and dime. Hundreds of them -- literally. Thank God they're there to help. It seems insurmountable, but then you look at the FDNY response and presence and you think -- It's gonna be OK. Those men are AWESOME. They are single minded in that they won't stop -- they will not stop -- till the job is done. I'm so thankful that they are on my team. They blew through ripping out the guts of three of my relatives homes, then were going on to some 9/11 Widows homes who were left relatively homeless. Enough said -- they are hard-ass heroes. They have my never ending, heartfelt gratitude. THOSE BOYS ROCK!!!
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 11-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.

so glad you're back...It is amazing to think of ordinary people from all over the country coming to help total strangers...it's the best of this country...and we all know how awesome the firefighters are...they really are heroes!...wish I could do something more to help...

Thanks for keeping us posted HH. I don't feel as removed from it all with you and others here to relate firsthand what it's like. Thank God that people pull together and help each other in times like this.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Agreed. Thanks for keeping us updated on the aftermath. More power to those wonderful volunteers!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Glad you're back HH, and thanks for keeping us up to date on what is happening. Thank God for all the wonderful volunteers that are out there helping!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I found out yesterday that Project Paul, our church's organization that helps the needy was also flooded in the storm. They lost everything including the food pantry. So many people depend on them and Thanksgiving is next week. There's always a food collection this time of year for holiday baskets, but this year they need everything as do so many others. People have been so good donating to so many organizations for the storm, but Project Paul helps people on a regular bases. I hope people will remember them this year.
    On a happier note, 2 friends from work found apartments. Another friend came back to work today. It was good to see her. She said she feels like this is all a dream. I think God does that to help you handle things like this. I remember feeling the same way when our house burned down.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Joanie and Karen - Thanks again for your updates and, most of all, thanks to all of the amazing volunteers who are willing to sacrifice so much to help those in need. As has been said, this is America at it's best. Keep hanging in there - rebuilding may take a long time, but rebuild you will ... and you'll be stronger and better than before.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

joanie and sg
    so glad to hear from you both.
    three cheers for the volunteers who are heros
    PRAYERS AND LOVE TO YOU BOTH

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Here's a video of Breezy that'll give you an ideal of the devastation.
    These people are determined and I know we will rebuild.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCQh1UZkq0[/ame]

wow...HH...very powerful video...so glad the people there are strong and determined...they(you) will make it happen!...still sending prayers...