Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

I guess because the Outer Banks of North Carolina are always getting blasted by storms, these things never make the news. I have some cousins that live on Hatteras Island (where the Cape Hatteras Light is) and today was the first they've gotten off the island since before the storm hit (it hit there a day or so earlier than further north). The road (RT 12) just north of Rodanthe/Mirlo Beach got totally washed out during Hurricane Irene last year, to the extent that a new inlet was basically made from the ocean to the sound. NCDOT put in a temporary road/bridge and it got washed out during Sandy. This past week was the first road traffic has been allowed through, many parts of the island were 4x4 only until recently. So, they were trapped there and missed Christmas and Thanksgiving with their families in the NYC area.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

HOw horrible for them but how wonderful that they are finally off!! I can only imagine their gratitude and elation. Will still keep them in thoughts and prayers as well as the other people affected by this massive storm and it's aftermath.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG - that is amazing. That story has been totally overlooked. I used to go down to Hatteras Island a lot so I'm pretty sure I know where you are talking about, VA. That must have been quite an ordeal for them to go through down there.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My goodness! I'm so sorry for them! And thankful they have finally been taken care of! Good grief!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

My Goodness VA! It shows that we as a race are still completely at the nmercy of the elements despite all the progress we seem to have made. I'm sure your cousins are finally glad to be off the island. I hope they can have a Bumper Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration now. I'm glad too that they are all ok.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Ha, they went to a mall for a day! She said the kids and grandkids are back at work and school, so they'll go up for spring break and see them.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Just putting my two cents in here. There are tens of thousands of people still displaced and or homeless as a result of this storm. It is overwhelming and will continue to be for months and months and months. VA, I'm very happy to hear they made it through the storm, but would my first choice be a mall?? Ummm probably not. How about an Eagles concert?

As a small footnote, nine weeks after the storm, Breezy Point is still uninhabitable as are so many, many homes all along the Eastern seaboard. If you have a comfy bed tonight and if you don't have to worry about how to keep your children warm and fed, then send up a little prayer please!!!

And, yeah -- I am still fostering my sister's two "precious" little doggies -- poke out my good eye. They are a constant "JOY".

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

HH you have a good heart.
    to take such good care of your sisters babies is awsome.
    glad they are doing well.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

As if these displaced families haven't been through enough, now their houses are being burglarized!! My sister's and my 94-year-old aunt's houses were broken into over the weekend and my mother's neighbor's house as well.

Fortunately, they removed most of their salvageable possessions and all their valuables to their temporary housing locations, but this is very upsetting. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. I hope that the Universe gives these low-life, rat bas^ar#s a hard and swift karmic kick in the a$$.

The sad part is that -- knowing how isolated and off the beaten path Breezy really is -- it was most likely an "inside job". Sick.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    As if these displaced families haven't been through enough, now their houses are being burglarized!! My sister's and my 94-year-old aunt's houses were broken into over the weekend and my mother's neighbor's house as well.

Fortunately, they removed most of their salvageable possessions and all their valuables to their temporary housing locations, but this is very upsetting. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. I hope that the Universe gives these low-life, rat bas^ar#s a hard and swift karmic kick in the a$$.

The sad part is that -- knowing how isolated and off the beaten path Breezy really is -- it was most likely an "inside job". Sick.
    Joanie,
    So sorry for your troubles. It hurts my heart
    tt