Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL 11/10/12

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL 11/10/12

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Actually, Glenn often turns that way when he talks between songs at his solo gigs. He usually directs the chit-chat towards Danny Grenier. When he's not doing that, he often looks down while talking, fiddling with his guitar. He rarely meets eyes when talking between songs at solo gigs. It happens sometimes, but it's not the norm. You'll see him look out into the audience during Eagles gigs, but even that's often when someone else is in the spotlight and he's stepped back a bit. Perhaps this is because at his solo gigs, he might feel more exposed and vulnerable.

When he was performing, he took his typical stance at the mike, and closed his eyes while singing as per usual. I don't think he was trying to diss anyone.
    Well, I wasn't talking about eye contact, when he looks towards the back, I doubt he can see anyone well enough to make eye contact even if he wanted to. I was talking about how he never turned towards the other side, while singing or talking. He wasn't talking to Danny, his head wasn't turned that far. If he were 6:00 on a clock, his range was always 12:00 to about 4:00.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

He certainly favored that side, but again, I think he typically does. He did turn the other way on occasion - certainly not as much, but it happened. I just don't think we should try to read too much into it.

I remember back in the Pebble Beach days, we were always trying to read Glenn's body language. Is he in the mood for us to approach? Does he want to be left alone? We didn't want to annoy him by being in his face all the time when he wanted some privacy, but we sure wanted to be nearby when he was in a chatty mood. We drove ourselves crazy because we could never be sure, and finally we resigned ourselves to the fact that it was a crap shoot. Sometimes you'll get lucky, sometimes you won't. I learned not to try and figure out what's going on his head, but rather to just chill and enjoy the experience.

Speaking of, I know I have yet to write my review. In brief, I think that the show was quite good and definitely worth the time and money I spent to go there. Glenn didn't let me down! The audience was appreciative, although there were a few rowdy folks shouting out requests, which always annoys me. Glenn said he couldn't hear them. The only problem with that approach is that people who took him at his word thought that the problem would be solved if they shouted more loudly. One guy yelled "No Fun Aloud" two or three times. I'm sitting here going, "That's not even a song request. Does he expect Glenn to just randomly pick songs off of the album to play?" A true fan in the back identified "Silent Spring" before "Tequila Sunrise," the lone representative of Strange Weather in his setlist. However, he got a huge standing ovation after "Take It to the Limit" and the whole place was on its feet for "Take It Easy." All in all, a good crowd.

More info on the songs later!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm not sure I was trying to read his body language...I was too into the concert to think that much! There's just certain things that I notice and can't help myself. I guess it was the 'training' I got while on the debate team (which I soon quit because it interfered with softball practice) and the public speaking class I took. We all have our little 'issues', Soda! Yours seems to be 'plaintiff' (he made the joke last night in Orlando, too, according to the tweets I saw) and I guess this is mine!! Guess on which side I'll get a seat next time!
    VK

lol! Yes, that plaintiff joke has been and always will be a pet peeve! So lame! At this point, I just facepalm until it's over.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Sorry for the delay here everyone, but I had another wonderful weekend devoted to seeing another wonderful Glenn solo show and spending time with great friends in beautiful Florida. I had a great time with VA, Soda, and Soda’s sister. Of course, we missed HH and all the other Borderers that were with us there in heart, mind, and spirit.

Glenn was in fine form once again. VA posted the pictures of how close we were, but I swear I have never seen front row seats so close to the stage in an auditorium of this size. There was no more than 2 feet between our seats and the foot of the stage and if you stood, you were right at the stage. As Soda mentioned, our eyes were about eye level with Glenn’s feet so you had to look up the entire show. Dang, it sounds really silly to say this, but it was almost a little too close to be sitting down. When we stood, it seemed much more natural. But, a girl could have a lot bigger problems than to be too close to Glenn, so I ain’t gonna complain too much.

I was sitting about two seats from dead center, and I got the sense that Glenn was playing more to the center of the audience. I didn’t notice him playing more to his right side. But, the funny thing is that after the show, I mentioned that I only saw Glenn spit once, whereas Soda and VA who were sitting a couple of seats farther to my right, said they saw lots of spit. I mention this because I guess maybe the angles that we were sitting and the lighting could have affected our views and perceptions.

But Soda is right about us trying to read Glenn’s body language at Pebble Beach, and the only thing that we were able to conclude is that you can’t predict the unpredictable. Like she said, I have learned to just go with the flow, and not try to get inside the man’s head.

Anyway, I loved the show even though it was the same show I had seen several times in May. And, yep, I will go see it again if I have the chance, but I sense that this may be the last After Hours show that I may see. Of course, I never say never, and know that anything is possible.

During The Look of Love, it was one he sang almost exclusively to the other side, and I'm not sure what was going on, but he grinned a lot through it. So I spent my time wondering why instead of enjoying the song.
    VA – isn’t The Look of Love the song where he plays the claves? If it is, I thought he always positions himself to his left during that song, so is it possible it was another song you are thinking about? Anyway, no big deal either way.

A local DJ had come on stage right before the show to make a few announcements about the venue, and mentioned that Glenn just had a birthday. So Glenn brought it up early in the show and said at this point that he preferred “to sweep those suckers under the carpet” and not think too much about it. He then mentioned that Saturday was Danny Grenier’s birthday, which, of course, garnered a big applause. As far as the missing Will, I’m hoping he just had a personal conflict, and am anxious to see if he will be with the band at the upcoming New York and Las Vegas shows.

Okay, now for the Glenntact. My eyes met Glenn’s several times throughout the show, but there was one moment (I think during Route 66) when Glenn was doing a little dance and was turned all the way to his right facing Danny. He was bent down and kind of quickly jerks himself toward the audience and when he did, he met our eyes dead on. As he turned back, he giggled, and then made the same move a second time. That time he seemed to intentionally look right at us and gave us a cute grin. At the end of the show, I did throw him a kiss for all of The Borderers as requested and he reciprocated by blowing me a kiss back. So anyone who wants can feel free to grab a piece of that baby out of the cosmos.

And GA and GL, I got your merchandise and will send it to you both soon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    VA – isn’t The Look of Love the song where he plays the claves? If it is, I thought he always positions himself to his left during that song, so is it possible it was another song you are thinking about? Anyway, no big deal either way.
    You are correct, Dreamer, he did face to his left while doing that. Not while he was singing.

I should clarify, I did get some 'Glenn-tact'. Just not 'a lot', which I mistakenly read as the question earlier in the thread. Re-reading it now, I see it doesn't say that.
    VK

OK, I’ve been trying to get a more detailed review together. I’ll be honest, for most of PEF, I was distracted by the fact that I was lucky enough to be able to see this show again, and by the fact that Will Hollis wasn’t there. Of course, it wasn’t too long before the pure perfection of the voice I love so much got me focused.

For the songs themselves, especially the songs off After Hours, they were nearly perfect, with very few off-notes, and when they did occur, he got back on track immediately and stayed there. Anyone who listens to a lot of live music knows how very rare that is. As opposed to the shows in May, while he did put himself into the songs and put a lot of passion into them, he didn’t seem to need to work as hard to deliver them. Like he’s a lot more comfortable with these songs and singing them live.

I’ve written and rewritten several individual write-ups of the songs and determined I was using the words ‘amazing’, ‘awesome’, ‘fantastic’, and ‘incredible’ far too often. Apparently I need a thesaurus.

I’m going to attempt to say this next thing without being vulgar! Several times he turned his back to the audience. I don’t know what caused it, but his jacket had ridden up a bit and being in the first row, with the angle, well, those of you who know me can just imagine what happened to me then. I got a little dizzy and it took a while get my head clear again. Later, he came over to Reggie, who was right in front of me and they both turned around and played their guitars. Again, the jacket had ridden up and he was right in front of me. I almost slid out of my chair. I wasn’t right until sometime yesterday or perhaps even this morning. Hopefully, this will explain why I can’t remember what all he said between songs. I’ll leave it to Soda and Dreamer to do that!
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Thanks VA. By the time he gets to Australia he'll be even more comfortable with singing the songs live (so he can add Here's To Life).

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

wow Va what grea birthday seats...
    some great pictures too
    and dreamer how special to have a kiss from sugar.
    sounds like all had a blast and i am happy to hear it and I think gf looked great and healthy from the pictues. thanks for all the posts ..just read them all now.after a ling day at work.

I was with you all in spirit and so glad you had fab seats.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

And yep - I welcome kisses from Glenn of any kind any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    No Will. No Wade. No HH. Jus sayin . . . . . . .
    You better give them back before someone puts out an APB on them!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016