Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: "Analog Man" Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: "Analog Man" Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm really torn too. Can't decide which should go next! Keep talkin' people!
    You really don't want to encourage this, now do you, Brooke!

Well okay then ... I love all three songs and, IMO, they are definitely the ones that deserve to be the last three standing in the game. They are all really good songs about "relevant stuff", as Joe says, and all have great lyrics, music, and melolodies. I can see how any of them could win this game.

BUT (and you knew this would come) ... for me, One Day At a Time is a cut above the rest. I also think the AM version is better, and, to me, anytime someone can improve on an Eagles version of anything, they have accomplished something REALLY special. As I said when I wrote my album review – "more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album."

Wrecking Ball rocks musically, and has a great melody and lyrics. I like Joe’s vocals on this one a lot, too. I just love how he has come full circle and can speak to today's youth from 'the voice of experience'. It's my second favorite. I would guess this has something to do with my general bias for rockers.

Lucky That Way has some of Joe’s best lyrics ever IMO. Almost anyone can relate to them and I especially love the bridge.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

Well okay then ... I love all three songs and, IMO, they are definitely the ones that deserve to be the last three standing in the game. They are all really good songs about "relevant stuff", as Joe says, and all have great lyrics, music, and melolodies. I can see how any of them could win this game.

BUT (and you knew this would come) ... for me, One Day At a Time is a cut above the rest. I also think the AM version is better, and, to me, anytime someone can improve on an Eagles version of anything, they have accomplished something REALLY special. As I said when I wrote my album review – "more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album."

You just said exactly what I feel!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I have to disagree about Lucky That Way being some of Joe's best lyrics. They are heartfelt, but not very sophisticated or especially clever. "It feels pretty good to be me." "I get to live out here in California. I got a palm tree and a swimming pool." "Got a good woman and she makes me happy. Most of the time I make her happy too." "The times I thought were the end of the world didn't turn out so bad after all." Again, genuine, but a bit simplisitic... not exactly poetry there. On the other hand, Wrecking Ball has a terrific central metaphor and in my opinion, that's the one that's a cut above. Let's reward Joe for being creative lyrically rather than just giving us a rundown of why his life is so awesome.

I cast my vote for Lucky That Way.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, you talked me in to it!

I vote for Lucky That Way.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Truth be told, I really like LTW. I just find Wrecking Ball to be a bit more appealing for me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    You just said exactly what I feel!
    I second that emotion..well said

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I have to disagree about Lucky That Way being some of Joe's best lyrics. They are heartfelt, but not very sophisticated or especially clever. "It feels pretty good to be me." "I get to live out here in California. I got a palm tree and a swimming pool." "Got a good woman and she makes me happy. Most of the time I make her happy too." "The times I thought were the end of the world didn't turn out so bad after all." Again, genuine, but a bit simplisitic... not exactly poetry there. On the other hand, Wrecking Ball has a terrific central metaphor and in my opinion, that's the one that's a cut above. Let's reward Joe for being creative lyrically rather than just giving us a rundown of why his life is so awesome.
    I was actually thinking about this earlier, but the line I was thinking about was "We decided we should live together, so we both said 'I do' " I know I said in an earlier post that I thought LTW was one of the best songs on the album, both musically and lyrically, but I have to agree with Soda here - the lyrics are pretty simple. I do think that when I compare LTW and WB that LTW is the better single. It just comes across more as hit material to me. But that doesn't necessarily make it the better song. This is a close one for me. I think I'll sleep on it.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

To me Wrecking Ball is one of Joe's best songs! When I saw him do it with Daryl Hall on the Live at Daryl's House episode, he really kicked the guitar work up a lot & made the song my favorite from this album. Can't wait to hear this at a live show! I think it's a bit different from most of his other songs & I loved it from the first time I heard it.
    The last 3 songs left are all winners, but to me it's Wrecking Ball that is a cut above the others

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I understand what you all are saying here about the lyrics in Lucky That Way, but to me they are very poetic. If you isolate certain words or phrases, then they are not that impressive, but, to me, it's the way they fit together and flow very seamlessly especially when put to music. I think the simplicity is part of the appeal to me. I'm having a hard time trying to explain it well, but I think it's the use of simple ordinary words to express more complex emotions and sophisticated subject matter that works really well for me. In other words, I guess it's the way Joe uses the words rather than the actual words themselves that I find poetic, if that makes any sense.

But, as I said earlier, overall, I do like Wrecking Ball a bit more.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Wrecking Ball I just like the other two better.