Thread: Eagles DVD with electric version of Hotel California

Out on the Border

Default Eagles DVD with electric version of Hotel California

I am looking for a DVD of the Eagles, with an electric version of Hotel California. It doesn't have to be teh studio version, but I do like the electric solos at the end of the song.

I know the Hell Freezes Over is an acoustic version. I saw on amazon that there is a Farewell Tour I DVD out, but I couldn't find a video on youtube of this song, so I don't know if they are playing acoustic or not on that song.

Does anyone know if the Farewell Tour I or any other DVD that the Eagles have made, has an electric guitar playing on Hotel California?

Default Re: Eagles DVD with electric version of Hotel California

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v0648

Here's proof that Hotel California on Farewell 1 is electric. Welcome to the Border, prr!

Out on the Border

Thanks, Rudie.

Interesting way they worked in the Latin trumpet sound in the intro.

Are there any other DVD versions of Hotel California that I can sample? If they are going to throw anything in front of the singing, I'd prefer the Spanish guitar that they had in Hell Freezes Over.

Not that this has anything to do with my post, but it didn't appear that Joe Walsh liked the new guitarist as much as he did Felder. Live versions of Felder & Walsh playing the solos at the end---it was like two little kids playing in a sandbox together. Maybe Joe is just older, and playing that song for the 10 millionth time? I dunno.

Is it on the 1977 concert that comes with the history dvd? I think it is, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LovinGlennGirl View Post
    Is it on the 1977 concert that comes with the history dvd? I think it is, but not sure.
    Yes it is!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Yes it is!
    Thanks, that is helpful to know. So I can buy the history DVD and get the concert footage on another DVD for free? Sounds like a bargain.

OK now I need to ask myself if we'd have more fun with that concert DVD, or just a remastered set of the Very Best of the Eagles. Can't go wrong either way, but at least I now have a DVD to get.

Oh one more question---I looked on amazon for "Eagles Live at the Capital Centre March 1977" and didn't see anything. Is that concert footage itself available on a separate DVD?

Talking Re: Eagles DVD with electric version of Hotel California

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Thanks, that is helpful to know. So I can buy the history DVD and get the concert footage on another DVD for free? Sounds like a bargain.

OK now I need to ask myself if we'd have more fun with that concert DVD, or just a remastered set of the Very Best of the Eagles. Can't go wrong either way, but at least I now have a DVD to get.

Oh one more question---I looked on amazon for "Eagles Live at the Capital Centre March 1977" and didn't see anything. Is that concert footage itself available on a separate DVD?
    Not to my knowledge, but someone else might have a different answer. I personally LOVE the bonus dvd that is with the HOTE set.

Stuck on the Border

You need to make sure you get the 3-disc release of History of the Eagles. The 2-disc release doesn't include the concert.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep, prr - If I had to buy just one, I would go for the History of the Eagles documentary with the bonus concert DVD. It's a wonderful documentary of the band that will probably inspire you to want to explore them more. However, be warned that the bonus concert DVD is not the entire 1977 show - there are only 8 songs, but does include the band at their prime performing Hotel California.

However, if you can afford both, I would not pass on Farewell I either - it's a fantastic, well-produced complete concert of the band performing 30 songs in the new millenium.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

prr, to my knowledge the two MTV Hell Freezes Over performances were the only time the Eagles played Hotel California as an acoustic song - even on the subsequent HFO tour, the song was played with Don F and Joe on electric guitars, in the late 1970s shows and the more recent tours up to and including HOTE the band always played with the original arrangement (as you can hear on Eagles Live). So, as others have said, both Farewell One and the 3 disc edition of HOTE have live electric versions of HC live, although the latter is the one you want if you want to see footage of Don F playing with Joe.