Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disco Strangler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Disco Strangler

Does anyone know if there is a story behind Disco Strangler? It is the only Eagles song that I can't stand. Is it a "serious" song or more like Teenage Jail?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Is Teenage Jail a "serious" song?

I think The Disco Stranger is very serious indeed. Like most people at the time I imagine that Don in particular was annoyed by the prevalence of the disco lifestyle and how it appeared to have taken over the way people behaved. He is commenting here more on the lifestyle than the style of music. One of the reasons why it is such a stripped down 'rock' song would appear to be in reaction to the sudsy strings and drum machines that clogged many disco era songs. The music may be a slight nod to the punk/new wave movement as if to say 'the Eagles can do songs like this too'. I applaud it. I like it when the Eagles rock out. If they do too many ballads (do you hear me, Mr Frey) it can get a bit wearying.

Disco Stranger: the worst Eagles song ever recorded.

I would rather listen to a 10-CD Best of Disco set than listen to Disco Strangler once - and I don't even like disco.

But I know not all share my loathing of this song! And hey, no band is perfect. They all gotta have one stinker.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I agree, Soda. It sounds to me like they are doing 2 completely different songs & are playing them at the same time.

Default Re: Disco Strangler

The lyrics don't make much sense to me. I get that the person in the song is an attention whore and the black comedy of it, but it seems poorly executed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I agree, Soda. It sounds to me like they are doing 2 completely different songs & are playing them at the same time.
    I agree with this comment. The only time it sounds like they might start to gel is the 'slip into the arms' part, but then it just goes all wonky again. I like the music better than the vocal though. If they omitted Don's vocal it might not be half bad!

As far as the lyrics, I don't get it. Is there really a "strangler" out there?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I'd like to be able to comment on this one, but just haven't been able to listen to it all the way through more than once. I have tried.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Disco Stranger: the worst Eagles song ever recorded.

I would rather listen to a 10-CD Best of Disco set than listen to Disco Strangler once - and I don't even like disco.

But I know not all share my loathing of this song! And hey, no band is perfect. They all gotta have one stinker.
    This was just funny and probably still holds true even now for you.

I've made myself pretty clear that I'm one of those who actually LIKES this song. As far as what it's about, I agree it's more about the Disco lifestyle than anything. I will have to ask the expert and biggest fan of this song, my husband, what his take is on it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think The Disco Stranger is very serious indeed. Like most people at the time I imagine that Don in particular was annoyed by the prevalence of the disco lifestyle and how it appeared to have taken over the way people behaved. He is commenting here more on the lifestyle than the style of music. One of the reasons why it is such a stripped down 'rock' song would appear to be in reaction to the sudsy strings and drum machines that clogged many disco era songs. The music may be a slight nod to the punk/new wave movement as if to say 'the Eagles can do songs like this too'. I applaud it. I like it when the Eagles rock out. If they do too many ballads (do you hear me, Mr Frey) it can get a bit wearying.
    FP, I'm curious to know why this about the way people behaved? and why that would annoy Don??? Do to think the Eagles or the rock world was any better??? I sure don't. They had organized sex parties, took all kinds of drugs! It was no different.

Stuck on the Border

I believe Don (Felder) says in his book that the song was their way of mocking the disco music/scene. Personally I think the song is a mess and the vocal melody is the worst Don Henley has ever sung. It can't even be called a melody. The "Look at me, just look at me, I'm beautiful, I'm beautiful, I'm somebody" part is the worst. It's terrible rhythmically and just drags. The irony is that there were a lot fo great disco songs, but their "disco" song was beyond horrible. A parody should be at least listenable.