Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disco Strangler

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Disco Strangler

Welcome, Nash.

The Disco Strangler definitely isn't one of my favorite Eagles songs.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I like it

but then again, there are very few Eagles songs I don't like

I agree its a bad song and their worst, the only redeemable quality is that hard rock chord where he sings the title aside form that its horrible as a reviewer said it lacked any humour or musicality also being a moderate fan of disco this is a bit of an overblown generalisation, disco had many different variations and styles and if you look at the hits the short lived genre had it was well worth it and they all sounded different.

It seems the Eagles like many others were saying it's club groove sound would become tiresome and monotonous though you could say that about most club dance tracks but there dosen't seem to be much point to doing a scathing parody of another genre, because I guess the aim to make the song sound bad as its criticising that said genre.

Again like half the tracks of The Long Run its odd these songs made the final cut when they were such sticklers for quality probably should have democratised the music a bit more like the debut to hear some Tim and Joe songs that would have been fresher. Also felt they should have let Joe and Don F guide the band's music more, let them jam out some music then add some meaningful lyrics to it.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

I've never understood why they were so against disco. For me it was a lot more enjoyable than the punk movement (although these days I can get nostalgic about The Sex Pistols).
    Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Again like half the tracks of The Long Run its odd these songs made the final cut when they were such sticklers for quality probably should have democratised the music a bit more like the debut to hear some Tim and Joe songs that would have been fresher. Also felt they should have let Joe and Don F guide the band's music more, let them jam out some music then add some meaningful lyrics to it.
    Like you, I'm surprised they allowed so much inferior material on the album. Supposedly, there were several tracks recorded which were just awaiting lyrics but Henley/Frey were struggling with those. For a Joe song, they had to rerecord something he'd done solo so I assume this means he had nothing else that they liked. And Felder came up with the "music" for The Disco Strangler.

Hi folks, thank you for the welcome

I like this song, the guitar riff and the funky bass is great. I can understand some people not liking it though...

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Hmm. Interesting. I must be one of the only people on this site who really likes this song.

Those searing guitar riffs and knife-edge lyrics really do it for me. This one and 'Greeks' are far superior songs to the abominable "Teenage Jail."
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Troubadour

The Disco Strangler is absolutely godawful drivel. I genuinely do not have one good thing to say of it. By a mile the worst song in the Eagles catalogue.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I wouldn't go that far, but The Disco Strangler is not exactly a song to write home about In the battle of the least impressive songs on TLR, I prefer "Those Shoes".

Border Troubadour

I think there are three tiers of songs on The Long Run.

Strong - Heartache Tonight, ICTYW, Sad Cafe
    Good - The Long Run, In the City, King of Hollywood, Those Shoes
    Filler, but bearable - TGDWNF, Teenage Jail
    Should be taken into the desert and nuked from orbit - Disco Strangler

I really like Those Shoes: dark and edgy lyrics (I suppose the same could be said for the likes of ICTYW, Sad Cafe and KOH, very downtrodden and dark but very well-written), the superb rhythm section (one of Don's finest moments on the drums, I'd be amazed if he managed to play them and sing lead without Vitale's help live back in the day; and another great example of TBS's very decent contributions to the album), and, of course, talkbox

Border Troubadour

I will say, I have been slightly bemused by Don's habit in later Eagles years of abandoning drumming duties as much as possible, but I don't fault him at all for doing so when they played Those Shoes during HOTE. I would love to see how they did it back on The Long Run tour. Makes One of These Nights look like a walk in the park!