Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Disco Strangler

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Disco Strangler

I have always liked TDS except for the inexcusable lack of harmony/backing vocals. It's like 'yes, I get it. Henley is now THE LEAD SINGER of this band'. I never accepted that. I much prefer it to the overrated title track, the appeal of which has escaped me for decades.

Parts of the second verse reflect what is good about it & what is bad about it.

'He's the crimson in your face du jour'- huh? Let's throw in some French to confuse the poor listener. Is this a reference to makeup? Do these people put on different 'faces' every day? There is one line in a later song which I find almost as clumsy as this, which is 'he's the darling of the chic' from WITW.

'He's the melody without a cure' - great line. Sums up why the lifestyle & the music were according to Henley so damaging to those who followed it.

'And Rome is burning, but that's alright' - would have been a great line in a song about wlder cultural issues but seems to have been thrown in to make the song sound more 'serious'. The world is going to hell while these disco fans get wasted at nightclubs, it says. But it just sounds gratuitous. The idea had already been implied by the 'he's the fiddler in your darkest night' line.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-12-2016 at 07:20 PM.