Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Sundance Film Festival - DVD Premiere

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: 2013 Sundance Film Festival - DVD Premier

I agree with FP that is kinda deja vu all over again to bring up the subject of the double album after this point. For what it's worth, while I understand why some may have thought they would have had a better overall album with only one disc, as a fan, I am thankful that there are two. We discussed this a lot when the album was first released, but, I, too, wonder what songs have been cut if there had been only one disc.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    What I don't get is why the quote about LROOE is even in an article that's all about the upcoming DVD.
    That was my very first thought when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by I've always been a dreamer
    I agree with FP that is kinda deja vu all over again to bring up the subject of the double album after this point. For what it's worth, while I understand why some may have thought they would have had a better overall album with only one disc, as a fan, I am thankful that there are two. We discussed this a lot when the album was first released, but, I, too, wonder what songs have been cut if there had been only one disc.
    I remember all the talk about the double album but I don't understand why it would of been a better overall album had it only been one disc. Were there ever reasons given why that would be? Refresh my memory if anyone else remembers why they thought it would have been better.

And on the topic of what songs would of been cut had it only been one disc--- I cringe to think which ones because the ones I believe that would of been cut would have been songs like Fast Company (one of my faves), Frail Grasp (one of my faves) or, Heaven forbid, one of the only 2 songs that Timothy or Joe had on the album.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I don't think it would have been better as a single album. I like all of the songs.

I'm surprised Don said that it would be better as a single album, the fact that it was a double album allowed him to have those long songs which are so wonderful, especially the super-long title track. He must just be so modest that he undervalues his own work.
    ~Sara

Default Re: 2013 Sundance Film Festival - DVD Premiere

In my experience, there are very few FANS who think it should have been a single album. The criticism is coming from "above" and from Henley himself, who was unhappy with the decision to make it a double album and was very vocal about it. Frankly, I thought it was unprofessional. You didn't get your way - too bad. Suck it up and present a united front for the sake of the band.

It still pisses me off. There is indeed a criticism of the material in what both Souther and Henley are saying, and that's not cool. Maybe if Henley hadn't taken up 15% of a disc with ONE SONG, they would have had more room for everyone else. Despite that factoid, I don't think when Henley talks about making LROOE a single disc he's talking about cutting songs like that. No, the ones that would go first would be one of Joe's and one of Tim's, while his epic (with its corresponding epic length) stays.

As for JD Souther, I love him and he has a right to voice his opinion, but I guess he hasn't considered that one of the first songs to go if it had been a single disc might well have been the Joe song "Last Good Time in Town" which he co-wrote. Somehow I think he wouldn't be so keen on a single album if it meant a decrease in his paycheck. Of course, I'm sure he is assuming the songs that would be cut would be other people's, and who cares about them, right? Screw Frankie Miller and his medical bills, drop "Guilty of the Crime," the Joe song Miller co-wrote!

Guess I'm in a bad mood today, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I don't think it would have been better as a single album. I like all of the songs.

I'm surprised Don said that it would be better as a single album, the fact that it was a double album allowed him to have those long songs which are so wonderful, especially the super-long title track. He must just be so modest that he undervalues his own work.
    Unfortunately there is another way of looking at this. See Soda's post above.

Some of the more cynical among us at the time thought that Don would have cut songs sung by the other members & we would have had yet another Eagles album with him singing most of the songs, Glenn maybe two & Joe & Tim one each. That did not happen & I am grateful that it didn't. It was not his decision; it was Glenn's.

I should point out that the title track is my favourite & it is not one that I would have cut.

This is the topic where we discussed Henley's opinions.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=620
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley
    Many critics have suggested that the new record would have worked better as single album. Interestingly, Henley agrees: "I strongly opposed a double album", he goes on, "but Mr Frey wanted a double record and he's the boss. Everybody thinks I'm the boss, but I'm not. Part of it was band politics, of course. When you have four lead singers you want everybody to be represented. I wrote 'Do Something' with Timothy, and Joe sings a Frankie Miller song ['Guilty of the Crime'], and he wrote 'Last Good Time in Town' with J D Souther. Frankly, Joe and Timothy didn't bring in a lot of stuff. We were waiting for it, but it never came.
    I had forgotten about this part---probably on purpose!! WTH? Timothy himself, has said on more than one occasion, he had brought several songs to them and they rejected them. And now I thank them for that because they may have been the same songs that made up Timothy's best album to date! So there!!!!

And for the record---Soda, you are SPOT ON, my friend!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Rebel

Actually, I think without coming out and saying so, Henley meant that he would've cut some of Glenn's songs. I don't recall the source, but I remember reading in an interview where he inferred that some people wanted to use all of the songs they presented, and I'm pretty sure that he was referring to Glenn's. It was also interesting to read that he didn't even know that Glenn had written "Somebody," which struck me simply incredible.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    Actually, I think without coming out and saying so, Henley meant that he would've cut some of Glenn's songs. I don't recall the source, but I remember reading in an interview where he inferred that some people wanted to use all of the songs they presented, and I'm pretty sure that he was referring to Glenn's. It was also interesting to read that he didn't even know that Glenn had written "Somebody," which struck me simply incredible.
    Glenn didn't write Somebody. Jack Tempchin wrote it (actually he co-wrote it with someone called J. Brannen).

I am well aware that Henley probably wanted to cut Glenn's songs. I decided to soften what I wrote by saying 'the other members'.

The point is that whether Henley liked it or not, at this stage of the band's career, yet another album where he sang 80% of the material would not have been a good idea. At least that is how I feel. I wanted to hear Glenn have a decent quota of songs. I'm not that interested in whether Henley thought they weren't as good as his songs.

If Frey & Henley had made more of an effort to be the great songwriting partnership they used to be, this would not have happened. As I say it seems a shame for the issue to be raised again five years later.

I didn't know about all this. I didn't read much of the press at the time. I also thought the partnership was more equal, Don makes it sounds like Glenn is bossing him around. It surprises me Glenn would do that, he must know how valuable Don is and he's always complimenting him.

Don was just being honest about his feelings so you have to respect that. Maybe he just wanted people to know who were criticizing the choice to make it a double album that it wasn't his fault. I don't agree with him but I can understand why he would want to distance himself from a choice he didn't make if he was embarrassed by that choice.

We don't know what Don would have kept either so maybe he would have dropped some of his own songs, although they are all so wonderful I don't know what he would have dropped.

There's such a thing as being too honest though. What he said about Tim and Joe makes them look pretty bad, some things are better left unsaid at least to the press.
    ~Sara

Default Re: 2013 Sundance Film Festival - DVD Premiere

You know I had forgotten how negative Don was about Tim and Joe, too! Maybe it's because after the initial month or so of press, he stopped saying that kind of thing.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten