Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Sundance Film Festival - DVD Premiere

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: 2013 Sundance Film Festival - DVD Premiere

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    To paraphrase Joe, what seems senseless at the time can later seem to be an essential part of the grand narrative of one's life.

And thanks for all those photos, VA!
    Hey, no problem! It kept me busy and from being too upset that Brooke's Cardinals embarrassed my Pirates last night. Serious embarrassment.

Yeah, I liked what Joe said during the doc about events seeming to be random but later making sense. I think a large part of that is the random events shape you and mold you into the person that you become. Some of us walk away with lessons learned and being stronger for what we experienced, more well-rounded as individuals. Some, of course, do not.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    As I mentioned to some of you, I was so angry at Glenn back in 1982 to know that he'd walked away, and even angrier to hear that no one had bothered to let the fans know for years. The ex had bought me No Fun Aloud on vinyl and I refused to take the shrink wrap off it until Glenn showed up in Miami Vice and then all was forgiven. I learned they broke up at a major transition time in my own life and there was a lot more change than a nineteen year old should undertake all at once. A move to VA, a new and stressful job at IBM, getting married, the culture shock of going from living on a farm to the suburbs. Leaving old friends behind and making new friends. My iconic Steelers went from winning four Super Bowls to being horrendous. My one and only favorite band, whose music I'd relied on to say all the words I could never say myself, was no more. 1982 had more changes for me than any year of my life, by far.

Looking back, of course, I can see the immaturity of my teenage self, and while I opened No Fun Aloud and purchased The Allnighter, even though the ex and I went to concerts frequently, and always in the first few rows, I never attempted to go see Glenn in concert. With the maturity and wisdom of more years than I wish to discuss, I have to say that now, I'm way over it. Expecting him or any of them to keep themselves in an intolerable situation purely to make music that would make my life a little nicer is exactly the thoughts of a twenty year old. I should never expect more from anyone than what I'd do myself and I can tell you I would have hit the happy trail long before Glenn finally did.
    This is a very interesting perspective. What happened to me was slightly different.

I had just become a major Eagles fan with Glenn as my favourite. I was in London when Don was arrested but like you I didn't know the band had broken up; it shook my confidence though. Then back in Australia I read an article saying that the Eagles were finished. This had to be 1981 before the release of No Fun Aloud & I have it in front of me. It read:

Eagles Split?

Heavy rumour in Los Angeles is that drummer Don Henley's recent arrest could break up the Eagles. Leader Glenn Frey is said to be less than thrilled over Henley's arrest for drug possession (it then gives the details of the arrest). The other Eagles are busy enough to forget the group - for a while, at least. Don Felder has been fishing with comedians Cheech & Chong & Frey might (!) record a solo album. Henley himself has been writing the screeplay & songs for a movie based on the group's hit Lyin' Eyes(!).

Though I was upset at first I took the view that Glenn had reasons for making his decision & if I were a fan I had to support him & follow his solo career as well as the others' careers, & that's what I did. I did yearn for them to reform & it got so hard in the early 90s when Glenn wasn't doing much & the reformation rumours were scotched, that I ditched them entirely, Glenn included, until they did reform. That is another story.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    This photo stream from Zimbio includes a lot of pics from our guys at Sundance London, followed by a lot of pics of Don and Randy at the Rock HOF induction, then pictures of our guys at Salt Lake.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Don+Hen...on/gUiSl8BMkb8
    And as usual, I cannot see these photos.

ETA: They've come up now!
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-27-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for that interview - I loved it too. But, I guess I'm a bit predictable that way!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Then back in Australia I read an article saying that the Eagles were finished. This had to be 1981 before the release of No Fun Aloud & I have it in front of me. It read:

Eagles Split?

Heavy rumour in Los Angeles is that drummer Don Henley's recent arrest could break up the Eagles. Leader Glenn Frey is said to be less than thrilled over Henley's arrest for drug possession (it then gives the details of the arrest). The other Eagles are busy enough to forget the group - for a while, at least. Don Felder has been fishing with comedians Cheech & Chong & Frey might (!) record a solo album. Henley himself has been writing the screeplay & songs for a movie based on the group's hit Lyin' Eyes(!).
    Ill-informed media strikes again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Though I was upset at first I took the view that Glenn had reasons for making his decision & if I were a fan I had to support him & follow his solo career as well as the others' careers, & that's what I did.
    I guess the best way to describe it was that I felt betrayed. If I hadn't been so looking forward to the next tour, I was determined to go to one of their shows, maybe I could have been more clear-sighted about it. What amazes me is that I remember so many older people telling my parents how mature I was for my age. Scary. I did grow up, though, and yes, by the time I hit 25 I realized that he must have good reasons for his decisions. Of course, now it's easy to see it. Once I got to 24/25, I had a lot of other reasons for not going to concerts anymore.
    VK

I read this earlier today, but I don't see where I posted it.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/film/eagl...history-making
    VK

VK

VK

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Thank you so very much VA for the reviews!!!!!!!!!!! They are excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!