Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYU Gala Nov15, 2012

Default NYU Gala Nov15, 2012

I'm up early to give my review of the show last night.
    I arrived at about 6:50 & was hanging out in front of the theater for a few minutes. Apparently there were still tickets available at the box office. I was a little surprised about that...
    They started at about 7:10 with several speeches by gala director & NYU president. Judy & Micheal Steinhardt were given their awards & both made short speeches. Maria Bartiromo appeared in a short video.

Glenn accepted the award for the Eagles & spoke briefly about how he became involved with teaching at NYU. He was wearing a black suit, white shirt & black tie. He mentioned that his daughter, Taylor attends NYU. Then he introduced 3 students who performed 3 songs together. There was a female cello player, a guy on guitar & one on keyboards.
    After a few minutes break to reset the stage, the Eagles came out. Don was wearing a white shirt with grey vest, black jeans, Tim; white shirt, dark vest & black jeans, Joe was all in black.
    Here's the set list;
    How Long
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Witchy Woman
    Lyin' Eyes
    Walk Away

Don spoke a little about the 40th anniversary of the Eagles, before
    The Long Run
    Joe spoke a little about the movie The Warrior, which has the next song
    In The City
    Hotel California

The NYU Symphony Orchestra joins the band for these last songs;
    Take It To The Limit
    Desperado

Don held a particularly long note on Desperado to some cheers.

The show was short, but good. There was no encore!! I thought they would at least come back out & do Take It Easy, but no, the lights came on.
    People were a little upset not to hear TIE...

My seat had a good view of the entire band, but I was trapped in the middle of the row, so I could not escape. Some were taking photos & video but the camera police were on it.
    The girl next to me took some short video, that she said she will post on facebook, so I will try to see them.
    They sounded great, as always, but the show felt like it was about 20 minutes, even though it was an hour. It seemed VERY SHORT & I knew it was going to be an hour, but it went so FAST. I felt like so many songs were MISSING from the show.
    I had a great time, but I did feel a bit cheated that they didn't do an encore!!!
    They did give out a nice large program with a nice photo of them, from LROOE

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: NYU Gala Nov15th

Thank you, TK, for the review!! I'm glad you had a good time, I knew you would. A special treat to hear the orchestra with those two songs, they are both incredible with strings and I'm glad they did that.

I can't BELIEVE they didn't sing TIE! This is like Cal Ripken, Jr. randomly deciding to just sit out a game. (He holds the record for the most consecutive baseball games played).

Here's a review and discussion of Glenn teaching from Washington Post. It has a picture of the band and the symphony on stage from last night.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...6e2_story.html
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

TK, thanks for going to this and posting your review so promptly! I understand being bummed by not hearing TIE. At least they did HC.

How did your feet do in your new boots?

Thanks for the picture VA.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

First, thank you very much for getting up EARLY to get us a review. Above and beyond!!!

Sounds like a great experience and a pretty great setlist despite TIE missing. Pretty cool to see them in a different kind of atmosphere. Glad the Border was represented.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Some pictures from Twitter:

First, the students
    VK

Our guys:

VK

I also took a few pictures, but they came out pretty much like those you posted. I haven't even looked at them yet!!
    Forgot to mention that Glenn was spotted in the lobby before the show where they had a bar. Unfortunately, I didn't see him!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Tk, thanks so much for your early review! Much appreciated! I'm so glad you got to go and had a good time!

This is for Glenn:

DON'T BE DROPPING TAKE IT EASY FROM THE SETLIST!

That is just sacrilegious and must NEVER happen again!

It's my all time favorite song! EVER!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Tk, thanks so much for your early review! Much appreciated! I'm so glad you got to go and had a good time!

This is for Glenn:

DON'T BE DROPPING TAKE IT EASY FROM THE SETLIST!

That is just sacrilegious and must NEVER happen again!

It's my all time favorite song! EVER!
    Yes, I agree TAKE IT EASY is NOT to be DROPPED FROM THE SETLIST!
    Hear that SUGAR!!!!

First off, I'm glad you had a good time TK and thanks for reporting back so soon.

However....

Dropping TIE?! What the heck is that about?!

It's freaking 2 minutes long, give or take! They had time for that! And if my collection of bootlegs is any indication, that's the first Eagles show EVER that hasn't included it in the set. It's become one of the definitive Eagles songs, right next to "Hotel California." It would be like Fleetwood Mac dropping "Rhiannon" or "Go Your Own Way."

This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different." He follows that up with how he's going to play it anyway and do his best but... why inject the negativity at all? It makes me nervous that he's not into the song anymore. If he's not into it anymore, he might be looking to drop it for good.

And that would suck, because you know what? It's GOOD that people still want to hear it. That means the song has staying power, and it shows the band was on point from Day 1. That's something to take PRIDE in, not gripe about.

Please, don't discard TIE!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten