Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NYU Gala Nov15, 2012

Default Re: NYU Gala Nov15th

I was really expecting an encore of TIE & RMW!!! Yeah, that was way too much to hope for. When they say 1 hour, it was exactly 1 hour. What an easy gig for them!!! I swear when Deparado started playing, I was like WTH??? It's OVER ALREADY! I felt like they were just warming up!

Another note: A few times people stood up after a song, Like after ICTYW, and HC...but people quickly sat back down. The girl next to me said that some people were standing up dancing & they were told by the ushers to "SIT DOWN"

There was also some kind of "After party" after the show, where there were some buses out front & black cars. I didn't know if this was for the NYU people or what, but I dodn't think the Eagles would be attending this thing, so I didn't bother hanging around. I was thinking they were probably already heading for the airport by the time we left the theater!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Fi
    Please, don't discard TIE!
    I have trouble envisioning them dropping TIE.. tho I guess anything is possible. I expect they do get tired of singing the same songs over and over. I would think if they put together the History of the Eagles tour that they've talked about,TIE would definately be included.

so glad you had a good time TK!...I think their two hour show feels like twenty minutes...so I can imagine how short a one hour show felt!...thanks for the review...and the set list!

and thanks for finding the pics VA!...

I love our guys getting recognized with an award...they so deserve it!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Dropping TIE?! What the heck is that about?!

It's freaking 2 minutes long, give or take! They had time for that! And if my collection of bootlegs is any indication, that's the first Eagles show EVER that hasn't included it in the set. It's become one of the definitive Eagles songs, right next to "Hotel California." It would be like Fleetwood Mac dropping "Rhiannon" or "Go Your Own Way."

This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different." He follows that up with how he's going to play it anyway and do his best but... why inject the negativity at all? It makes me nervous that he's not into the song anymore. If he's not into it anymore, he might be looking to drop it for good.

And that would suck, because you know what? It's GOOD that people still want to hear it. That means the song has staying power, and it shows the band was on point from Day 1. That's something to take PRIDE in, not gripe about.

Surely Glenn would not even fathom dropping it for good! My goodness, it was their very first hit! It means more to me than Hotel California and is definitely a defining Eagles song! And Glenn not doing another of his songs is beyond comprehension!

Glenn, say it ain't so!

We might need to get up a petition or something if we feel it could help. This really upsets me.

ETA: Tk, I'm sorry to hijack your fun night here, but I just can't ignore this!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

They can't possibly drop it for 'real' concerts (i.e. those over an hour). If they do, that would be the best possible way to get their fans in an uproar. I know none of us here fit into the 'casual fan' or 'normal fan' category, but the tweets I saw this morning pretty much all commented that TIE had gone missing. It was noticed.

This song is the cornerstone of their entire catalog. Everything they've done since, as a band and as solo artists was built on top of this song.

I don't want to criticize their decision, after all, they are the experts. I have no concept of what it would be like to sing a song for forty+ years. I've heard Glenn's remarks at his solo shows and how he's going to attempt to sing the song like he's 23 and it's still new. I wish that as a 64-year-old he could see that to the fans, it's far more than a song. It's a lost culture, it's a feeling that had been forgotten, it's being given your youth back, if only for a few minutes. People my age and older are young again, and younger fans get nostalgic for a time they didn't get to experience first hand.

There are standards that I love, but this song IS the American Songbook. I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to make the trip to NYC for the show. I think I would have cried.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different."
    Hey, that's Joe's line! And when Joe says it, it's funny. I think he usually says it before RMW, but he may have used it for other songs as well. The point is, it's a joke! Joe knows that he's always going to do RMW, and Glenn knows that he (Eagles) will always have to do TIE. This was a special, shortened show, and a chance for them to not do it for once. As upset as I would have been if I went and didn't hear it, I don't think we should panic. I'm sure it was an exception.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

VA, I totally agree with everything you said here. When TIE wasn't played, I assumed it would be the encore, which is where it should be, but that was it...It was OVER!! And, yes, people were talking about it... UPSET
    Maybe they intended to do it as the encore, & somehow that just didn't happen??? I didn't know....How could they not play their very first hit song???As for me, that wasn't the only song that I missed.
    We were told in advance that the show would be 1 hour, so they did just that. The ticket prices were high, but it was a benefit, so it is what it is.

I'm glad I went just the same. I mean it took me 15 minutes to get there, & the Beacon is an awesome theater. The acoustics are fantastic, the sound was perfect. I had a pretty good seat, even though it wasn't like being in the front row.The guys were spot on, so I can't really complain.

It will be less painful for me that I won't be going to Vegas. I can't spend another $1500. for the 1 1/2 hr show. It's just too much money. I'm going to have to wait for the 40th Anniversary, Ummm 41st Anniversary Tour. Yeah, I think Don did make some kind of crack about that in his small talk!! I guess this will have to hold me over until then.

Luckily, when I got home, I watched Joe on Live at Daryl's house, so I did get some more Joe last night!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Obviously, only playing an hour, a lot of songs had to be left out, staples of their show. However, TIE was the only one mentioned in the tweets.

As noted in the article, the concert helped raise over $1 million towards scholarships.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

First off, I'm glad you had a good time TK and thanks for reporting back so soon.

However....

Dropping TIE?! What the heck is that about?!

It's freaking 2 minutes long, give or take! They had time for that! And if my collection of bootlegs is any indication, that's the first Eagles show EVER that hasn't included it in the set. It's become one of the definitive Eagles songs, right next to "Hotel California." It would be like Fleetwood Mac dropping "Rhiannon" or "Go Your Own Way."

This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different." He follows that up with how he's going to play it anyway and do his best but... why inject the negativity at all? It makes me nervous that he's not into the song anymore. If he's not into it anymore, he might be looking to drop it for good.

And that would suck, because you know what? It's GOOD that people still want to hear it. That means the song has staying power, and it shows the band was on point from Day 1. That's something to take PRIDE in, not gripe about.

For a start, TIE is longer than 2 minutes.

I feel that far too much has been made of this. I wanted to read about the performance & all I have read is that they didn't play TIE. The grim reality is that when they drop songs, they tend to drop Glenn's songs. I have already seen him do a show where he didin't play it. This was not a proper concert performance.

TK, you knew it was only going to be an hour before you went, so I'm not sure what all the 'easy gig' stuff is about & disappointment that they didn't play more.

Default Re: NYU Gala Nov15, 2012

FB, If you read my post, I did say that they sounded fantastic, the place had great acoustics, & that I was glad that I went. I was only surprised that they didn't play TIE, as was most other people there. It was an enjoyable show & we knew it was going to be 1 hour....I was not disappointed. I'm very glad I went & got to see the guys because I won't be going to the Vegas show!!
    I think you misinterpreted my review..Like I said the hour just seemed to go really fast. I guess time flies when you are watching the Eagles perform!