Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE ULTIMATE DON HENLEY ESSENTIAL BOX SET

Out on the Border

Default THE ULTIMATE DON HENLEY ESSENTIAL BOX SET

Inviting you to propose a DON HENLEY BOX SET.

To start the ball rolling, here is how I would prepare this box set if I were given the chance to produce one which is much better than ACTUAL MILES and THE VERY BEST...

Disc One: Album Highlights from his 4 solo albums
    Disc Two: Motion Picture Themes like SIT DOWN YOU'RE ROCKING THE BOAT and THROUGH YOUR HANDS
    Disc Three: Live Performances from MTV UNPLUGGED/VH1 STORYTELLERS
    Disc Four: Duets with Other Musicians like SOMETIMES LOVE JUST AIN'T ENOUGH, LEATHER AND LACE, etc
    Disc Five: Contributions to various compilation albums like BRIDGE, ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH, etc

How would you do it if you were the producer?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: THE ULTIMATE DON HENLEY ESSENTIAL BOX SET

Good question, GM. I like your list. However, I guess if I were going to customize a boxset for Don, I have to include a couple DVDs - one with all of Don's music videos (The one included in The Very Best of Don Henley left off some, including the awesome The End of the Innocence) and another DVD of some of his best interviews over the years. Of course, your Disc 3 would be a DVD in my world as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Good question, GM. I like your list. However, I guess if I were going to customize a boxset for Don, I have to include a couple DVDs - one with all of Don's music videos (The one included in The Very Best of Don Henley left off some, including the awesome The End of the Innocence) and another DVD of some of his best interviews over the years. Of course, your Disc 3 would be a DVD in my world as well.
    Good point about the recorded interviews, IABAD. I've only come across Redbeard's two interviews via IN THE NET. Both recorded and available via the net. Are there others floating in the internet? Thanks.

I like your style, GM. I'll have to give this some thought! I agree DVDs should be included.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't think interviews are appropriate for a box set. JMO
    I would love to see some videos on a dvd though

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

i disagree..interviews are important to history and as a collector of eagles things I want it all

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I don't think interviews are appropriate for a box set. JMO
    You certainly wouldn't have to watch them if you weren't interested, but I am totally baffled that you would say they are inappropriate. Why exactly???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

What about performances at other events? e.g. Don performed at an Inauguration event for President Clinton, and has performed at Farm Aid... those are just the ones I know about. Clips from his live shows perhaps? I would personally love to see him performing "It Don't Matter To The Sun" (I'm still holding out hope it will be on his new album if and when that's released...) and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I like your style, GM. I'll have to give this some thought! I agree DVDs should be included.
    Thanks, Soda. It took years to prepare my suggested division of Henley's box set. Books like THE LONG RUN, BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL and TO THE LIMIT really helped a lot.

I really appreciate this site especially the part where Eagles fans trade inputs/comments. I've been sending suggestions for years to Irving Azoff, Don Henley and the rest of their management. So far, no reply.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    You certainly wouldn't have to watch them if you weren't interested, but I am totally baffled that you would say they are inappropriate. Why exactly???
    Box sets are supposed to be about music. That is why DVDs (which presumably includes video interviews) should not be included. If you want to release a DVD, you do it separately. The music DVDs were already released as part of the Very Best Of. What was wrong with that was that a couple of movie soundtrack songs were included, but they were in video format & I could not transfer them into mp3 format, which I found beyond annoying.

This goes to prove that in my opinion there is insufficient material from Henley's solo career to justify a box set. His hardcore fans would already have all this & I don't know how much it would appeal to others. The tracks that GM listed in his opening post , apart from the 'best of solo albums' (which has already been done) you would be lucky if you got 45 minutes per disc. Even if you narrowed it down to four, I don't know that it is justified. You could perhaps put the movie soundtrack & compilation songs one one disc. I still think that is stretching it a very long way.

I suspect this will be an extremely unpopular opinion but there you are.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.