Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 121212 Concert for Sandy Relief

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: 121212 Concert for Sandy Relief

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I saw those photos as well.

Henley used to do things like this all the time. The Eagles don't seem to have any interest in them. I suppose I will sound cynical but to me the same old acts turn up ad nauseam. Worthy cause yes, but it has become so predictable for these shows to take place. Perhaps the Eagles don't want to be predictable.

Wow. Where do I start? First I will question the validity of your statement that the Eagles don't seem to have any interest in doing benefit concerts. And you would know this how? Did their booking agent run it by you and give you some inside info? Their interest level may have been very high but their business and/or personal schedules full. I would not presume to speak for them. This concert was put together over a five-week period -- not a lot of time considering the magnitude of the undertaking. Didn't Glenn play the Starkey Hearing Foundation benefit this year? Didn't Don play for a school in with Pacific Northwest? It seems to me they do not shy away from lending their talents to a worthy cause.

As for your comment that the "same old acts turn up ad nauseum for these predictable shows" I assume you are referring to the Concert For New York in 2001 in response to the terrorist attacks.
    Yes, thankfully Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards lent their considerable talent to that cause as well as to the concert for Sandy Relief. Additionally David Bowie, Melissa Etheridge, Five for Fighting, John Mellencamp, Kid Rock, Jay Z, Destiny's Child, Backstreet Boys and James Taylor performed, so there was quite a significant difference in the two benefit shows.

I am very grateful that these performers give so generously of their time and talent whenever there is need. If the five or six repeat headline performers can rake in the big bucks and in any way influence additional acts to join the lineup then I say GOD BLESS THEM. They should be commended for theiir continued "predictable" compassion and determination to help people in dire need. I hope there is no future need for these "predictable shows" either here in New York City or anywhere else in the world, but I'm not holding my breath. If there is need I trust the "same old acts will turn up ad nauseum" and once again lend their considerable talents to the cause -- and once again I'll be extremely thankful.
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 12-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Wow. Where do I start? First I will question the validity of your statement that the Eagles don't seem to have any interest in doing benefit concerts. And you would know this how? Did their booking agent run it by you and give you some inside info? Their interest level may have been very high but their business and/or personal schedules full. I would not presume to speak for them. This concert was put together over a five-week period -- not a lot of time considering the magnitute of the undertaking. Didn't Glenn play the Starkey Hearing Foundation benefit this year? Didn't Don play for a school in with Pacific Northwest? It seems to me they do not shy away from lending their talents to a worthy cause.

As for your comment that the "same old acts turn up ad nauseum for these predictable shows" I assume you are referring to the Concert For New York in 2001 in response to the terrorist attacks.
    Yes, thankfully Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards lent their considerable talent to that cause as well as to the concert for Sandy Relief. Additionally David Bowie, Melissa Etheridge, Five for Fighting, John Mellencamp, Kid Rock, Jay Z, Destiny's Child, Backstreet Boys and James Taylor performed, so there was quite a significant difference in the two benefit shows.

I am very grateful that these performers give so generously of their time and talent whenever there is need. If the five or six repeat headline performers can rake in the big bucks and in any way influence additional acts to join the lineup then I say GOD BLESS THEM. They should be commended for theiir continued "predictable" compassion and determination to help people in dire need. I hope there is no future need for these "predictable shows" either here in New York City or anywhere else in the world, but I'm not holding my breath. If there is need I trust the "same old acts will turn up ad nauseum" and once again lend their considerable talents to the cause -- and once again I'll be extremely thankful.
    I said the Eagles as a collective, not Don & Glenn as individuals. I stand by my statement that the Eagles as a collective do not play these benefits despite whatever interest they may have in it. Give me one example of when the band has done something like this. That is why when Topkat was asking 'why weren't they there' my response was 'because they don't do these things' for whatever reason which they know & we don't.

I am sorry if I seemed to denigrate what was being done. I was not referring to the 9/11 benefit as to be honest, I don't remember who participated. As you say I am sure all the participants were very generous in giving their time.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I said the Eagles as a collective, not Don & Glenn as individuals. I stand by my statement that the Eagles as a collective do not play these benefits despite whatever interest they may have in it. Give me one example of when the band has done something like this.

How about the Race to Erase MS? How about the NYU Steinhardt School of Music Fundraiser? I believe the collective Eagles played both.
    Didn't they also do a benefit for Lupus? I think so.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I liked the show although the audio wanst great.
    I hope they clean it up and decide to release it as a dvd .
    Id be the firest in line to buy it.
    I too am greatful for who decides to show up and give up of their time and talendt.
    thanks you artisits.

Stuck on the Border

How about the Race to Erase MS? How about the NYU Steinhardt School of Music Fundraiser? I believe the collective Eagles played both.
    Didn't they also do a benefit for Lupus? I think so.
    OK then. They don't do huge benefit concerts with all star lineups. They seem to do benefits where there is a personal connection, as in the MS case. I don't know if they all did a Lupus show. Party of Two did. Again that has a personal connection.

Wow. Where do I start? First I will question the validity of your statement that the Eagles don't seem to have any interest in doing benefit concerts. And you would know this how? Did their booking agent run it by you and give you some inside info? Their interest level may have been very high but their business and/or personal schedules full. I would not presume to speak for them. This concert was put together over a five-week period -- not a lot of time considering the magnitude of the undertaking. Didn't Glenn play the Starkey Hearing Foundation benefit this year? Didn't Don play for a school in with Pacific Northwest? It seems to me they do not shy away from lending their talents to a worthy cause.

HH pretty much summed up what I wanted to say about this, but I will add a few of my own thoughts. It's the actual CAUSES that are important, not who did what, when, where, how or why!! And the bigger the name, the more people jump to help.. that's just how it is. As she pointed out, so what if the same handful of big names do these things? It brings in the PEOPLE who bring in the MONEY for the CAUSE. I'm sure there were countless personal donations made by B-list celebs, and volunteering done by the same. But they don't get the press, and that's just how these things work. But, when you want the MOST people to draw in the MOST money, you go for the BIGGEST stars and hopefully, as many as possible can participate. I know of several good named bands/artists who couldn't be there if they wanted to because they are on tours half way around the world. It seems a bit petty to me for people to bicker about such things as CHARITY!!! Just like when Katrina hit and the media made a mockery of Sean Penn. Who gives a rat's ass if he was going for publicity as well as the donation aspect. If it drew in donations, more power to him. People are living in shelters, missing family members, without everything they have ever owned, and here we sit, comfy and cosy and arguing over what stars did what, and why, and why not. I don't mean to sound like a b*tch because I certainly don't mean it that way, but I am proud of the effort that was made and the money that was raised. Doesn't matter to me who gets the accolades or the most media and I can bet my life the people needing help, don't give a damn how that help comes either. We all know there are many unsung heroes that deserve MORE attention than the bands/stars and that's the rescue people, the shelter workers, the volunteers, etc. Sorry for the ramble. It just upsets me when the importance of an issue seems to get lost....

Oh, and hi everyone

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally agree with your posts, HH and Lizzy. Whenever a celebrity gives their name, time, and/or money to a cause, I believe we should all be very grateful rather than question their choices about how they contribute. Whether they want to participate in large benefits such as this 121212 benefit or be more of a 'quiet' giver should be their choice - the bottom line is the same and we should appreciate their generousity AFAIC.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

These bands are not all there by chance...They arrange to be there. Yes, the Who & Stones were in NYC on tour, but as far as I know the Who are still on a tour. But what about the other acts? They didn't just all happen to be in NY, they came here to do the show...to raise money for people who lost so much.

I don't see that the Eagles are so busy these days? They have 1 show to do in Vegas the 30th., but whatever? Joe was there to support some of his friends, & I'm willing to bet he would have performed at the show..If Henley did it in the past, that was 30 years ago. I just would have liked to see them there, ALL of them ,, as the Eagles together... it would have been nice. I don't recall that they have done any of these shows as a group.

As for that Steinhardt NYU show, well they received an award that night. Also Glenn has a personal interest in NYU. Yes, music scholarships are important, but not nearly as important as supporting Americans who have lost everything in a disaster or the 911 tragedy.
    I'm just saying it would have been nice to see the Eagles participate in these shows...This one was epic.

The guys may be giving behind the scenes, giving in less visible ways, giving to other organizations, but they do give.

Why are we so quick to judge and criticize? Why are we so quick to turn something positive into something negative?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The guys may be giving behind the scenes, giving in less visible ways, giving to other organizations, but they do give.

Why are we so quick to judge and criticize? Why are we so quick to turn something positive into something negative?
    I'm sure they do donate to charities, but we have no idea what, when, or how much? Doesn't really matter.

My original point was that the Eagles are one of the greatest American Bands & to see all the British musicians come out to support the Americans was amazing & I love all of them for it...but I do think it would have been nice if the Eagles were there...would have loved to see that, as in support of our country. That is all I was saying. It was more in the support of the good old USA!