Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 - Year in Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2012 - Year in Review

OK, I've compiled this highlight reel of what the Eagles have been up to over the last twelve months - let me know if I forgot anything important or got a date wrong!

While the Eagles did not play many shows this year, they played some memorable firsts. However, the big news this year has been the Eagles' solo projects - Glenn and Joe as well as former Eagle Don Felder putting out new albums for the first time in decades, and Timothy doing some rare solo shows. Additionally, this year saw more Eagles making better use of the internet and social media. Finally, while Timothy's health scare had us all concerned, he seems to be doing wonderfully, as evinced at the year-end show in Las Vegas.

So without further ado...

2012: THE YEAR IN EAGLES

February
    12 - Joe Walsh appears on the Grammys supporting Paul McCartney

March
    14 - Eagles create an official Facebook account
    14 - Glenn Frey creates an official site and official Facebook account

April
    1 - Joe Walsh opens up a Twitter account and uses it like it's meant to be used
    2 - Don Felder creates an official site
    4 - Eagles play South Africa for the first time
    12 - Eagles play Dubai for the first time
    21 - Eagles play another date at Las Vegas' MGM Grand, the first of three sprinkled throughout the year

May
    5 - Eagles play JazzFest in New Orleans for the first time
    8 - Glenn Frey releases After Hours, his first new solo album since the 90s
    9 - Glenn kicks off his After Hours tour at the Town Hall in New York City, his first official solo tour since 2006
    12 - Eagles receive an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music in Boston
    19 - Timothy B. Schmit begins a short spring solo tour at the Cherokee Creek Music Festival in Dallas, TX, his first solo tour since 2010

June
    5 - Joe Walsh releases Analog Man, his first new solo album since the 90s
    17 - The 40th anniversary of the release of the Eagles' debut album occurs
    23 - Joe Walsh's CMT Crossroads guest-starring Brad Paisley, Sara Evans, Luke Bryan, Hunter Hayes, and Billy Gibbons airs
    28 - Don Henley plays the Reno Events Center in New Mexico, his only public tour date of the year; he announces that his country album is finished and slated for release in a few months
    30 - Joe Walsh begins his Analog Man tour at Ribfest in Naperville, IL

September
    4 - NYU songwriting class with Glenn Frey as instructor begins
    7 - Joe Walsh appears on Paul McCartney's PBS special
    14 - Don Henley and Stevie Nicks perform at a private event for participants in Sarah McLachlan's "Voices in the Park" benefit
    30 - Timothy B. Schmit's duet with Buffy Ford Stewart on "Same Old Heart" is released

October
    3 - Joe Walsh performs at the "Love for Levon" tribute concert for Levon Helm
    7 - Joe Walsh appears on ESPN'S Sunday NFL Countdown
    9 - Don Felder releases Road to Forever, his first new solo album since the 80s
    10 - Joe Walsh appears on documentary about Jeff Lynne
    13 - Don Felder starts Road to Forever tour at the City Winery in New York City

November
    15 - Eagles receive the Steinhardt Vision Award from NYU
    15 - Joe Walsh appears on Daryl Hall's "Live at Daryl's House"
    18 - Timothy B. Schmit undergoes successful surgery to remove throat and neck cancer
    20 - Don Henley and Glenn Frey appear on PBS' documentary "Inventing David Geffen"

December
    7 - Joe Walsh appears on DirecTV special "Guitar Center Sessions"
    15 - Joe Walsh appears on Saturday Night Live supporting Paul McCartney
    30 - Eagles play last date of the year at Las Vegas' MGM Grand; Glenn Frey says we can "count on" at least one more date there.

What's ahead for 2013?

• January: the showing of Part 1 of the History of the Eagles DVD at the Sundance Festival
    • February: Glenn Frey travels to Australia and New Zealand to continue touring behind After Hours
    • Undefined: The "Hotel California" musical and Don Henley's country album are either in the works or in the can, and will hopefully see the light of day this year..
    • Unconfirmed: Hints of a major Eagles tour... will it happen? We'll see!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: 2012 - Year in Review

Thanks for this Review!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wonderful Soda! The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that you may want to add something about Glenn teaching the songwriting course at NYU.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Soda, great review, but Nov. 17th was an Eagles show in Vegas, so TBS had his surgery after that date.

Also Live at Daryl's House was Nov 15th as I clearly remember watching it when I got home from the Steinhardt event

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Soda, great review, but Nov. 17th was an Eagles show in Vegas, so TBS had his surgery after that date.

Also Live at Daryl's House was Nov 15th as I clearly remember watching it when I got home from the Steinhardt event
    Thanks for the correction about Daryl's House. However, regarding the surgery, my understanding was that he went directly from the show to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks for the correction about Daryl's House. However, regarding the surgery, my understanding was that he went directly from the show to the hospital.
    Soda, the show was at night in Vegas, & the surgery was in NY so it is not possible to do all that in 1 day. By the time he would even get to NY it would be the next day. My guess is he flew to NY after the show & then had his operation Sun or even possibly Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Wonderful Soda! The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that you may want to add something about Glenn teaching the songwriting course at NYU.
    Good idea. Does anyone know when he started doing that?

Stuck on the Border

It wasn't mentioned.

He did those gigs in Charlotte & Charleston as well as that other publlic show you went to in Florida, in November.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Not exactly sure, but, according to the NYU Fall Schedule Calendar, classes began on September 4th and the last day of classes was December 14th. I think one or more of his interviews mentioned how many weeks the class went that he taught, but I honestly don't remember how long it was. I'm almost certain that the class didn't last the entire semester though. You could always just put it on the calendar in September and leave the end date opened-ended. I seem to remember that the class was wrapping up about the time the band performed there in November.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Not exactly sure, but, according to the NYU Fall Schedule Calendar, classes began on September 4th and the last day of classes was December 14th. I think one or more of his interviews mentioned how many weeks the class went that he taught, but I honestly don't remember how long it was. I'm almost certain that the class didn't last the entire semester though. You could always just put it on the calendar in September and leave the end date opened-ended. I seem to remember that the class was wrapping up about the time the band performed there in November.
    Pardon my ignorance and bad memory, but I thought he was more of an occasional guest lecturer than an instructor for the full term of the course. Am I remembering wrong? I appreciate your help, guys! Perhaps just putting "September 4" would be good enough.

FP, I thought about making a separate entry for the November Frey solo shows but then I thought perhaps they fall under the "After Hours tour" despite the large gap between those date and the earlier ones.