Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE ULTIMATE DON HENLEY ESSENTIAL BOX SET

Default Re: THE ULTIMATE DON HENLEY ESSENTIAL BOX SET

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    You certainly wouldn't have to watch them if you weren't interested, but I am totally baffled that you would say they are inappropriate. Why exactly???
    I have never seen a "Box Set" that had interviews. Interviews could be a separate DVD on just interviews, but to me a "Box Set" is the complete musical works of an artist; just the music, & possible videos, but not every interview they ever conducted. Interviews are a dime a dozen; Every time somebody walks into a radio station, there is an "interview". It would be way too many & much repeated stuff heard over & over again.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I, obviously, have a different viewpoint about this. First of all, I definitely have to disagree that "box sets are supposed to be about music"??? There are all sorts of box sets available from music, TV shows, movies, books, etc., etc., etc., and all sorts of combinations of things.

The one thing I do agree with is that Henley hardcores already have most of his music that has been released. That is all the more reason to include other things that are highlights in his career. I'd bet there are a lot of things that have never been officially released that his fans would love to hear or see. Of course, this is all hypothetical anyway, but, I'm not aware of any 'rules' about what can or cannot be included in a boxset. In fact, I enjoy it when artists think outside the box (pun intended) and get creative with this kind of stuff.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Good topic. I will also have to give it some thought.

I see other artists include videos, plus Don included videos on his latest Greatest Hits release. Why not again?
    ~Sara

I find this topic pretty funny, because it probably is never gonna happen!
    Heck, we can't even get that album out of him, & how long has he been working on it! LOL

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I, obviously, have a different viewpoint about this. First of all, I definitely have to disagree that "box sets are supposed to be about music"??? There are all sorts of box sets available from music, TV shows, movies, books, etc., etc., etc., and all sorts of combinations of things.

The one thing I do agree with is that Henley hardcores already have most of his music that has been released. That is all the more reason to include other things that are highlights in his career. I'd bet there are a lot of things that have never been officially released that his fans would love to hear or see. Of course, this is all hypothetical anyway, but, I'm not aware of any 'rules' about what can or cannot be included in a boxset. In fact, I enjoy it when artists think outside the box (pun intended) and get creative with this kind of stuff.
    We are talking about Don Henley here. For a start, as with the Eagles, there is probably not much that has not been released. We are also not talking about someone who is willing to take risks with this type of release (unless you count releasing songs in video format a 'risk').

No, there are no 'rules' about box sets but generally if it is a box set about music, then that is what it will be. If there are examples of box sets which include vidoes I would be interested to know what they are. I haven't heard of any. In any case the official videos have already been released. Unless the Very Best Of is withdrawn from sale why release them again?

As for interviews how often would you actually listen to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    As for interviews how often would you actually listen to them?
    I watch the "extras" on the Eagles DVDs quite often, and would probably do the same with an interview if it was included as part of a DVD or CD.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Me too, EK. I think it gives a little insight into their personalities and it's just plain fun!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - Again, I want to stress that this is all hypothesis. But, in reality, I think there is plenty enough material from Don's solo career that hasn't been officially released. In fact, I have a ton of stuff myself that I would love to see put to CD and DVD, including interviews, live performances, guest appearances, etc. Maybe you aren't interested in these types of things, but I believe lots of fans are.

All you have to do is search Amazon to find various types of box sets are not just music. It's kind of like when they started putting bonus features on DVD's. It started out as a small thing, and now, there are all kinds of things out there. As I said earlier, I'm very grateful when the entertainment industry gets creative with this stuff, and, hopefully, they will continue to offer new ideas and features for box sets.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Well, I don't know what all this stuff is that hasn't been officially released. Sorry.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

The first thing that comes to mind when I saw Dreamers statement regarding stuff that hasn't "officially" been released was all the stuff Don has done onstage with other artist. The one that stands out to me is from The All Star Garage Band, the duet with Steve Winwood on Hold On, I'm Coming. The NAILED it!!! Or how about when he played drums with an unlikely match of Guns N Roses during the American Music Awards back in the late 80s. Granted he didn't sing but any true Don fan would want to see/hear anything he's done, right?
    He sings it high, he plays it low