Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Those Shoes - Stevie?

Maren was VERY beautiful and they made quite a striking pair.

I think the main reason she didn't act very much in later years is because she was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (chronic fatigue) syndrome. Don was quoted in the book "To The Limit" saying that he took her to several doctors before it was finally diagnosed, and the whole situation became very difficult to deal with: "I was dating this beautiful girl who shortly thereafter became practically an invalid. She was literally in bed for a year."

He goes on to say in the book that "Maren & I stayed together until 1986. It was hard for her because her career had been cut short by illness and by the time of my second solo album I was starting to make it big again.....Finally she moved out, partly because of some reprehensible behavior on my part.... I felt a great sense of sadness."

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Thanks again, guys. Looks like it's a no! Oh, well, too bad!

As for Joe, I'm not sure if he's written anything about Stevie, but he has said regarding The Confessor that she was "pretty much responsible for that whole album" because she encouraged him to continue making albums - told him that he "wasn't finished." And look at him now!
    Hi everybody!

It's interesting this came up because I've been wanting to ask you something about Stevie's songs. Similar to how some fans figure Don's songs are about Stevie when they're not, ever since I read about Stevie's relationship with Joe, now it always seems to me that all her songs are about him. There is one specific instance though that I wondered if you knew about, or have an opinion about -- the placement of "No Spoken Word" directly before "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You." It makes me wonder if she answers her question "What was it she wanted?" by placing "Has Anyone" right afterward.

Joe doesn't really do much in the way of love songs, or lost-love songs. There was speculation on a couple boards that "Dear John" from The Confessor album was about Stevie, but I really think that was about his ex-wife.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hello MR and let me be the first to welcome you. Hope you like it here on The Border. We're glad you found us. Unfortunately, I have no opinion about who Stevie may have been addressing, but I'll bet Soda has something to say about it.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that Maren was very beautiful and she and Don made a lovely couple. Unfortunately or fortunately, as we sometimes say, the relationship didn't work out. But I think things always happen for a reason. I believe I've read that she and Don remained close after their split.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Hey moonrambler! Welcome!

I always found it interesting that Stevie had relationships with both Don and Joe, since the two men are so different. Joe is always kidding around about how Don always gives him a hard time, like on Farewell I when he says "Henley's not done with me yet."
    Very interesting dynamic between those two, in more ways than one.

Hi moonrambler, welcome from me, too! It's good to see you here. I'm afraid I don't know about that Stevie quote either, but I'm sure Soda will have some information.

DF, I count myself as one who didn't know much about Maren Jensen. I knew she had been Don's girlfriend, and that he regretted having treated her badly when she was ill, up drinking all night with his friends, then wasted for the next day. I didn't know she was an actress and had been in Battlestar Galactica. She's very beautiful in that picture.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Welcome from me, too, moonrambler! Glad to have ya!

I was shocked to learn that Stevie had had a relationship with Joe. I'd always known about her and Don, but not about Joe. And I'm glad it never caused any friction between Joe and Don. Or did it?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Hi Moonrambler! Welcome to the Border! Hope you enjoy it here.

In terms of Stevie having relationships with both Don and Joe; it is very interesting but just shows a woman can be attracted to more than one 'type' of man.

Quote Originally Posted by timfan
    In terms of Stevie having relationships with both Don and Joe; it is very interesting but just shows a woman can be attracted to more than one 'type' of man.
    How true!

Welcome moonrambler!
    I've read that same article that said that Don and Maren are still close friends.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Stuck on the Border

Moonrambler, I am glad you found us. Welcome.

Dear John was the track from The Confessor that came to my mind as well but I don't know enough about the situation.