Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Those Shoes - Stevie?

Quote Originally Posted by moonrambler
    Ok, I read through that link. Even though she keeps saying she heard it, and she heard it in '95, that date has to be wrong. There was a big to-do the last time Joe was on Howard's show in the '90s, which I assume must have been taped and then edited each day for national airing later, and Joe had sung "Desperado" on that show and he was all wasted and it was pretty awful. Joe called Howard later and asked him not to run that, but of course Howard did, and Joe never went back on there again for years and years.
    Is that what happened? Very understandable that Joe was peeved. I also read that supposedly one of Howard Stern's supposed "funniest moments" was having some guest of his call up Joe Walsh when he was drunk and letting the two men make fools of themselves. Some friend, huh?

That makes me also wonder about this remark, "He opened for some band that I went to see in 94 in NH," -- where he supposedly made fun of Stevie. He would have been very busy with the Eagles in '94, as early as February, and not opening for some nameless band in NH.
    Good point.

It was that same website where I found the quote from the program, but I was wrong about the timing -- because it was the Timespace tour book. So apparently she first explained on the Timespace album that the song was written for Joe, and then said it again on the program. I think I must have read something on a message board somewhere that somebody first saw that information on that program. The quote from the program as they have it on Seven Wonders:

"He had written a song for his baby that he had lost, and I wrote a song for the both of them. My life changed that day. I told the public it was theirs and mine, but it never was, it was my Joe's song, and I would never, ever be the same..."
    ~Stevie Nicks, Timespace tourbook, 1991

Also the words she quotes from her song right after that, made me wonder if she was telling him something, again, just like in the mid-80s, where she had been telling him he wasn't "finished." Beginning with "Thank you, Joe," and going on to quote from her song with "If not for me, do it for the world," and wrapping up with the word "LEGEND" in capital letters . . . that was a very personal statement to him, I thought.
    I see what you mean. There is no doubt the song was written for him and those last lines describe him. Even if you look at the plural "poets, priests of nothing, legends" as including the various musicians she'd been with at the time - Lindsey Buckingham, Don Henley, Mick Fleetwood, etc - Joe was the primary one, the "you" of the title, and that carries throughout.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I also read that supposedly one of Howard Stern's supposed "funniest moments" was having some guest of his call up Joe Walsh when he was drunk and letting the two men make fools of themselves. Some friend, huh?
    And now it seems like all is forgiven and forgotten, and I don't get what people see in Howard Stern, but that's a whole 'nother story! I suppose Joe eventually decided it was his own fault for going around in that condition in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by moonrambler
    That makes me also wonder about this remark, "He opened for some band that I went to see in 94 in NH," -- where he supposedly made fun of Stevie. He would have been very busy with the Eagles in '94, as early as February, and not opening for some nameless band in NH.
    Good point.
    Now I'm not claiming he never did any lousy stuff like they are saying -- I just don't see it happening that far down the pike, especially once he got sober, particularly since he's very involved in AA and one of their 12 Steps is to make amends.

Even if you look at the plural "poets, priests of nothing, legends" as including the various musicians she'd been with at the time - Lindsey Buckingham, Don Henley, Mick Fleetwood, etc - Joe was the primary one, the "you" of the title, and that carries throughout.
    And now look at these guys today -- I don't know much about Lindsey and Mick's lives outside of music, but Joe becoming more talkative about his substance abuse problems and recovery, writing music about it, and working with groups focusing on recovery; and Don with his Walden Woods project, historical preservation in TX, and Recording Artists Coalition -- the priests of nothing certainly have changed with time!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I remember watching that Stern interview when Joe sang Desperado. He was quite wasted, but I don't remember anything about him calling Stevie a "road f*ck". I could be wrong, but it seems to me that I would have remembered that if he had said it. I'm definately not claiming that he was incapable of saying something like that, but I don't think it was that interview. What I do remember is that I think this is when Don and Glenn got really pi$$ed at Joe for singing Desperado. It was pretty awful considering the state he was in.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

What I do remember is that I think this is when Don and Glenn got really pi$$ed at Joe for singing Desperado. It was pretty awful considering the state he was in.
    Dreamer, I think they might have been OK with it if it had just been a one-time drunken mistake, but he sang it regularly on his '91 tour. Apparently they disapproved.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh - I didn't know that Joe ever had Desperado in his tour set list. I thought he only did it that one time. As many covers, etc. that have been done of Desperado, I always thought that it was odd that Don and Glenn got upset about Joe singing it. I guess - to paraphrase an old line - that they 'had their reasons'. This is just speculation, but maybe Don and Glenn thought that it was inappropriate because Joe is an Eagle, but didn't write the song, and he wasn't in the group when the song was written and recorded.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Oh - I didn't know that Joe ever had Desperado in his tour set list. I thought he only did it that one time. As many covers, etc. that have been done of Desperado, I always thought that it was odd that Don and Glenn got upset about Joe singing it. I guess - to paraphrase an old line - that they 'had their reasons'. This is just speculation, but maybe Don and Glenn thought that it was inappropriate because Joe is an Eagle, but didn't write the song, and he wasn't in the group when the song was written and recorded.
    I guess so, dreamer. I've always been a bit puzzled by their hostility towards the idea as well. After all, Glenn sung Rocky Mountain Way in his '92 set! (Admittedly, he did say he had Joe's permission, but still!) Why should they begrudge him Desperado?

Although I also have to say I'm not sure why he chose to do it in the first place. It doesn't really seem suited to his voice. I think Take It Easy or something like that might have been a better choice - but I guess he had his reasons.

Coincidentally, I just got a bootleg video from Joe's '91 tour and watched it tonight. I guess there was some tension because at one point, Joe jokes, "You know, Glenn Frey was a lot more fun before he started taking steroids." Then he adds "Just kidding!" lol

LOL!!!!
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Since we were talking about Maren Jensen earlier in this thread, I remembered that I read a more recent quote from Don about Maren. It was from an interview done with Timothy White in Billboard magazine in 2000, promoting Inside Job:

Timothy: "But knowing many women you’ve dated for a long time, I’m aware that you’re very loyal to them and they speak well of you."

Don: "I know what you mean. I am good friends with most of my exes. And sometimes it took several years to get back to that point with those people, but if you love somebody they become part of your life. Especially in Maren’s case. We went through a lot together, and we’re still very close friends, and she’s about to have a baby any day now, and my wife and I are gonna have one any day now, too [Julia Sophia Henley, Don and the former Sharon Summerall’s third child, was born two days after this interview.] She and her husband are doing very well, and I helped her get her business off the ground, and now they’ve just sold it to Estee Lauder, and she’s fixed for the rest of her life. But my life has changed, too. I finally woke up one day and took a look around and said to myself, “I don’t want to be the last guy at the party. It’s too sad.” The guy with the lampshade on after the party is not me, and I snapped out of it. And the universe responded in kind and sent me Sharon. [The couple married in 1995.] And then the kids came [including a daughter, Annabel, and a son, Will] and that really changed everything. So these songs are heartfelt, although some may scoff. But that’s OK."

Hi, I'm new to register. I've been reading a long time though. I know this is the Don forum and I don't want to hijack the thread again... but I've read about Don and Glenn getting steamed when Joe performed Desperado and I just think that's ridiculous. He wasn't hurting anyone and I think it's safe to say he wasn't doing it as an insult. It's a compliment to them that he wanted to cover their song, they should be honoured, not offended. He also said he was just kidding when he made that joke about Glenn so why would it be a sign of tension?