Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Retrospective Tour?

Default Eagles Retrospective Tour?

Last year in 2012, we talked about a 40th Anniversary tour, but that never really materialized. Now, there are rumblings of a tour to promote the Eagles' Retrospective DVD that's coming out soon.

I figure we can use this thread to speculate about setlists and our expectations... keeping in mind, of course, that nothing is confirmed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Retrospective Tour?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and this took a lot more thought than I'd planned on! Glenn has mentioned several times about a tour to go with the DVD being a chronological sequencing of songs that goes through their history.

When he mentioned it, I wasn't very excited by that. As they do things now, they end the show with well-loved favorites and in chronological order would mean ending with songs from LROOE. In my opinion, those songs would not provide a good ending for the more casual fans, which make up probably 3/4 (or more) of every crowd.

Then I hit on the idea of going through time in chronological order, then the encores going back in time, and ending where it all began. Also, I did it by album release rather than the exact order of songs.

Being optimistic, I did the three hour setlist with an intermission, which would take place after The Long Run. I tried to be realistic with the number of leads.

For the three hour setlist, I included solo songs. I can imagine the comments that will get now, but they are a part of their history, and especially some of Joe's songs that they performed as a group even before the big vacation started back in 1980. If they only do the two hour show, then almost all of those go away. I want the rocking/original version of Smuggler's Blues after RMW, but I'm being realistic vs. optimistic and not putting it in.

The three hour setlist:
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Witchy Woman
    Tequila Sunrise
    Best of My Love
    Already Gone (James Dean would be a great substitute here)
    Lyin' Eyes
    Walk Away (not sure where this is in history)
    One Of These Nights (CAN'T have an Eagles retrospective without this)
    Take It To The Limit
    Wasted Time
    Funk #49
    Hotel California
    I Can't Tell You Why
    In The City
    The Long Run

(Intermission)

Boys of Summer
    Life's Been Good
    You Belong To The City
    Dirty Laundry
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Silent Spring
    Hole In The World
    Waiting In The Weeds
    How Long
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Somebody

(Encore)
    Seven Bridges Road
    Heartache Tonight
    Life In The Fast Lane

(Encore)
    Desperado
    Take It Easy

So what does every one think? If they do a chronological setlist, what do you think it will be/should be?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Though it probably isn't worth saying so the complete demise of my favourite Eagles song, New Kid In Town, breaks my heart. It really does.

I don't mind this list but VA, I still think there are too many solo songs. If this is going to be an Eagles retrospective tour, it should be about the Eagles. That should mean doing songs they haven't done ever, or haven't done for a long time, not just (and I use this term advisedly) reshuffling the deckchairs.

I suppose I would like to see something like this:

Witchy Woman
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Doolin-Dalton
    Outlaw Man
    Tequila Sunrise
    Best Of My Love
    Already Gone
    Good Day In Hell
    One Of These Nights
    Take It To The Limit
    Lyin' Eyes
    Life In The Fast Lane
    New Kid In Town (though it will not happen)

Intermission

Rocky Mountain Way
    In The City
    I Can't Tell You Why
    The Boys Of Summer
    Smuggler's Blues
    You Belong To The City
    Life's Been Good
    Get Over It
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    Waiting In The Weeds
    Somebody
    How Long

Hotel California

Heartache Tonight
    Take It Easy

I am well aware that Desperado is a given but I'm afraid I would not include it if it were up to me. Or if it has to be included it should be performed the way it was written with Glenn on piano & Don on drums. It could go before TIE & HT could go before or after HC.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I did realize after posting that I didn't 'represent' the HFO era, and I agree that Get Over It is a good choice, since it was written by them.

As for NKIT, yes, my list was realistic and not optimistic. If I had my way, they'd sing three times in one show. Or more. There's no such thing as hearing it too many times for my ears.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'll also admit that the very first thing I noticed in VA's list was the omission of NKIT. I don't think it's just being optimistic that it would be included in a retrospect. It was a big hit and, at least in my area, it's played quite often on classic rock channels.

I once again have to agree that in an Eagles retrospect, there should be Eagles songs--period! Granted, the solo works are a huge part of Eagles history BUT there are just to many great Eagles songs that are not included if we start adding solo songs.

That being said, for the dvds/cds--- wouldn't it be kind of cool to have a separate dvd and cd with nothing but the best of solo works?

But since this thread is for the tour-- I will work on a list later today and get my idea setlist posted.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - I'm gonna have to give this some thought and post a list later. But, I'm with VA - I'm one of those that happens to enjoy the solo songs and think they are as much as part of the band's history as the others since they have always performed them. Obviously, this is one of those things that fans disagree about, but, personally, I prefer to hear a band perform the highlights of their entire collective catalogs - doesn't matter to me who originally recorded it - the Eagles have a way of owning anything they perform. I'd definitely rather hear their solo work instead of covers as Glenn has suggested.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm going to have to give this some thought, too, but I also think that if it's going to be an Eagles show, they should do Eagles songs. Even though I love many of their solo songs, this one is for the band. There's too many Eagles songs that need to be heard!

Stay tuned!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm going to have to give this some thought, too, but I also think that if it's going to be an Eagles show, they should do Eagles songs. Even though I love many of their solo songs, this one is for the band. There's too many Eagles songs that need to be heard!

Stay tuned!
    I'm in agreement with this. Lots of bands I like have members with long ranging solo careers as well but if I wanted to hear *several* solo songs, I'll go see them solo. I know some band members tour solo more than others but it's an Eagles show so play Eagles songs. Fleetwood Mac throws Stevie a bone and lets her do Stand Back but frankly there's no reason they need to. I'll go see Stevie to hear that.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I did it and it's probably the same one I did for some other thread, but I can't help it! These are the songs I think should be heard at an Eagles concert! The bad thing is there really isn't room for them all and I don't want to narrow it down! I would love to hear some obscure songs like Doolin-Dalton or Outlaw Man, but I don't think that will ever happen anyway.

Witchy Woman
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Out of Control
    Tequila Sunrise
    Already Gone
    James Dean (ok, 5 Glenn songs in a row? ain't gonna happen! )
    Best of My Love
    Good Day In Hell
    One of These Nights
    Lyin' Eyes
    After The Thrill Is Gone
    Take It To the Limit
    Life In the Fast Lane
    Pretty Maids All In A Row (I'm open to Life's Been Good, but.....)

Intermission

New Kid in Town
    Wasted Time
    I Can't Tell You Why
    The Long Run
    In The City
    Heartache Tonight
    King of Hollywood
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Get Over It
    How Long
    Busy Being Fabulous
    Somebody
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Waiting In the Weeds

Encore
    Seven Bridges Road
    Hotel California

Encore
    Desperado
    Take It Easy-let's leave feeling good-this should always be the last song-imo!

All in all, these are really the songs I would like to hear the most.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

When I did my list I included the really big solo songs (five). It would appear inevitable that they will be played (well, Joe's & Don's songs, anyway). But those songs are not 'the highlights of their entire collective catalogues' when two of the members have no solo songs. I cannot agree that Walk Away & Funk #49 are so superior to Glenn's songs. That is another problem with the Eagles. There isn't that much recorded material so they rely on solo songs. Perhaps in an ideal world Brooke's list is what I would prefer (although I would leave a couple of hers out).

Dreamer, I don't know that they would be doing the covers Glenn talked about. I was under the impression that those would be on the History DVD. If they did do On The Way Home that would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.