Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Retrospective Tour?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Retrospective Tour?

Quote Originally Posted by AftertheThrill View Post
    I keep thinking about Glen Campbell and his appearance on the Grammy's. Glen seemed really happy to be on that stage and it would be wonderful if Randy could have one more moment.

It really makes me sad to think of one of the guys having such a horrible disease.
    First, welcome ATT!!!!

Second, funny you should mention Glen because that was actually the first thing I thought about when they mentioned former members. He did a great job also but I believe he was in the early stages of the disease at the time her performed there. Fact is, none of us know to what extent Randy has been affected by the disease. I've had 2 friends that have lost their parents from it and it was ugly, ugly, ugly, especially toward the end. They become childlike after awhile. They do tend to remember things from long, long ago but can't remember what they had for their last meal or see someone and recognize them and then 5 minutes later not know who they are. So very sad.

I guess time will tell for Randy.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, none of us know just how bad it really is for Randy. I wish he could do it, but the guys didn't mention him, so......

If nothing else, it would be cool if he could come to a show and be acknowledged in the crowd. Just a thought.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I know GA is dealing with this now with her father and, unfortunately, I have a lot more experience with this horrible disease than I care to because I lost my Mom to it three years ago. It is a very sad, dreadful disease, indeed.

I agree that it's a possibility that Randy could perform or at least make an appearance unless he is in the advanced stages of the disease. I think about Glen Campbell performing as well. In the early or mid stages, a lot of victims do remember a lot more about the past than they do the present. My Mom would often give us very detailed descriptions of things that happened during her younger days, but, yet, didn't even know she was sitting in her own living room. As soon as a month before she passed, we used to put music on and dance with her. And BTW - her favorite song to dance to in her last year was How Long.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I don't have much experience with Alzheimers, but I have not heard this. From what I hear or have experienced with people is that they don't remember people or things that they did or said even 2 minutes ago. It's very sad. We don't really know Randy's condition at this time. It would be really nice to see him up there, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Thats exactly what I'm trying to say TK. And again I would be aware that Dreamer would have a lot more knowledge of the progress of this disease than I would.
    The thing is, as far as I'm aware the memory starts to go in a ' last in first out' manner. So while Dad (who still seems to be stable enough in the early stages) may not remember what day it is, even if he only asked a few minutes before, or may think one of my kids is one of his kids, or would keep asking 'whose funeral/party/graduation is this again?' he has no trouble with memories of his youth, his schooldays, his jobs, early years of the family etc. he still remembers latin which he learned in school and is teaching it to Chris! But again, ask him what he had for dinner and he has no idea!

So its possible that Randy could remember, say TITTL like he sang it yesterday.... because perhaps in his mind thats when he DID last sing with the boys... KWIM?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Yeah, none of us know just how bad it really is for Randy. I wish he could do it, but the guys didn't mention him, so......

If nothing else, it would be cool if he could come to a show and be acknowledged in the crowd. Just a thought.
    Yes. It would be nice even if he just came out to say hello & take a bow with the guys....If it was going to be a performance, you know they would have to practice it, because they wouldn't want it to sound off. I'm not sure if Randy still plays guitar these days? Well, it would be nice to see him, even if he doesn't play.

He seems pretty young to have this disease. I mean isn't he only about 65 or 66? That seems young to get Alzheimers, but like I said I don't have much experience with this disease.

Don F said in a pretty recent interview that he had played golf with Randy a couple of weeks before. I can't remember if it was a video or in print. (Sometimes I think I'm getting it! )

It's not unusual now for people in their fifties to get Alzhiemers.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Don F said in a pretty recent interview that he had played golf with Randy a couple of weeks before.
    Oh, that's really nice to hear!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Don F said in a pretty recent interview that he had played golf with Randy a couple of weeks before. I can't remember if it was a video or in print. (Sometimes I think I'm getting it! )

It's not unusual now for people in their fifties to get Alzhiemers.
    Well I'm glad Randy is getting out to play golf, that's a good sign. I didn't realize you can get this even in your 50's. The only people that I knew of that had it were in their 70's or 80's, which I guess is more common. It's just that I don't believe there is any cure for it & it seems to get progressively worse. Maybe there are some meds these days that can slow it down or stop it from getting worse.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Well I'm glad Randy is getting out to play golf, that's a good sign. I didn't realize you can get this even in your 50's. The only people that I knew of that had it were in their 70's or 80's, which I guess is more common. It's just that I don't believe there is any cure for it & it seems to get progressively worse. Maybe there are some meds these days that can slow it down or stop it from getting worse.
    My sister in law's father was diagnosed 5 years ago at the age of 66 and has a ton of meds he takes daily. My sis in law goes over to his house (he still lives alone and does pretty well) every Sunday and gets them all organized and he has a special watch that tells him when he needs to take them, etc... plus people checking in periodically. He has good days and bad days and is still driving, which scares the sh*t out of me but so far, so good. SIL is a nurse and I think that's part of the reason he's been able to live independently still. She says the meds are improving every year for this but a long way from being a cure. Very sad disease.

Glad to hear Randy and Don F are still seeing each other and that Randy is able to still get out and enjoy life.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

The disease has many stages, no need to assume he's at its worst point. Sounds like he's still able to have a good time and maybe he could appear at a show.
    ~Sara