Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Retrospective Tour?

Default Re: Eagles Retrospective Tour?

HD....I don't like that song list at all. Where is LROOE? WITW needs to be in there. The encore last song should not be How Long??? Are you kidding me? I don't even like that song....Just NO.... Don't like the song choices for the first encore either!. 7 Bridges needs to be in the early part of the show.
    That would be a big mistake in my eyes! I sure hope that is not the set list for the show..If it is, I will be hugely disappointed!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    If I were going to go in chronological order...

Take It Easy
    Witchy Woman
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Desperado
    Doolin-Dalton / Doolin-Dalton-Desperado Reprise
    On the Border
    The Best of My Love
    Already Gone
    One of These Nights
    Lyin' Eyes
    After the Thrill Is Gone
    Take It to the Limit

~ intermission ~

Hotel California
    New Kid in Town
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Wasted Time
    Victim of Love
    Pretty Maids All in a Row
    The Long Run
    I Can't Tell You Why
    In the City
    Those Shoes
    Heartache Tonight

~ encore 1 ~

Seven Bridges Road
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Get Over It

~encore 2~

How Long (ties the beginning to the end)

They probably could be sorted better. Maybe I'll come back and fix it up more later. No room for solo songs though.
    HD, it's difficult to make it work in chronological order, isn't it?! Seriously, I thought about this back when Glenn mentioned it in interviews, so it was a long time ago, and it took me until now to put my list together. The reality is, if they do a chronological thing, it'll probably be based on whatever's in the DVD, and we don't know what that is...yet.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    HD....I don't like that song list at all. Where is LROOE? WITW needs to be in there. The encore last song should not be How Long??? Are you kidding me? I don't even like that song....Just NO.... Don't like the song choices for the first encore either!. 7 Bridges needs to be in the early part of the show.
    That would be a big mistake in my eyes! I sure hope that is not the set list for the show..If it is, I will be hugely disappointed!

Hmmm.... OK? A simple "I disagree" probably would have sufficed. I don't see where her song list could possibly be any more right or wrong than the rest of us here. Of course we are not all going to have the same setlist-thank goodness, or we wouldn't have a "discussion" board. Personally, I can see where she's coming from with How Long. Let's face it, if Glenn's kids/wife hadn't found Soda's video of it on YouTube that night, we might not have a new album. Who really knows.

Well, here's what I've been working on for a couple of days. Be gentle while critiquing it, please. I'm aware Don has a lot more leads than Glenn , but it is what it is and some of the bigger hits were sung by Don, pure and simple. And I know it's a few songs longer than it should be BUT this is all fantasy anyways so what the heck! I did keep it pretty much in chronological order and no solo works. Had LBG on original list but took it off even tho it was on The Live album as an Eagles song. I also had Ol' 55 on there also but had to take it off to shorten the freaking list. If I had my way, I'd have Disco Strangler and Fast Company on it. But we all know those wont happen.

Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Witchy Woman
    Desperado
    Tequila Sunrise
    Already Gone
    On The Border
    James Dean
    Best Of My Love
    One Of These Nights
    Lyin' Eyes
    Take It To The Limit
    After The Thrill Is Gone
    New Kid In Town
    Wasted Time
    Victim Of Love
    Pretty Maids All In A Row

Intermission

Long Run
    I Can't Tell You Why
    In The City
    Heartache Tonight
    King Of Hollywood (just a dream of mine)
    Those Shoes (another dream, I'm sure but I think it has a lot of fans)
    The Sad Cafe
    Seven Bridges Road
    Get Over It
    Love Will Keep Us Alive (showing Timothy some love!)
    Learn To Be Still
    Waiting In The Weeds
    How Long
    Long Road Out Of Eden (doesn't really work here---is there a shorter version?)
    No More Cloudy Days

Encore 1
    Hotel California (introduced as "our most well known song" or "biggest hit")
    Life In The Fast Lane

Encore 2
    Take It Easy (introduced as the song that started it all!)
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 01-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I think it was at the songwriter's event, Glenn said that as they recorded songs he realized that Don's voice was 'money'. So that explains the number of hits that Don sings in the later albums.

If they can shorten Seven Bridges Road they can shorten anything, including Long Road Out of Eden. I thought about that after making my list.
    VK

Well, TBF, I do like your set list A LOT better. I can live with most of it, with the exception of King of Hollywood, which I would can & put in something else. I'm at work now so I can't really form my list.
    I also agree with the Encores you picked out!
    HC
    LITFL
    TIE
    I do think these songs should be the encores!!! Good picks!

Wow, I was just offering my opinion, I didn't expect everybody to agree but I didn't expect to be scolded for my choices either.

FP ~ I didn't know I was supposed to make sure Glenn has as many leads as Don. I picked my songs based on what I liked, not based on whether Don sings lead or not. It just happened to work out he got more leads but I wasn't counting and honestly I didn't even think about it. For me it's about the music, and it's all Eagles music no matter who sings lead. I can see why it would seem bad if I only had like one Glenn song but he has several and probably the reason why they're the same ones he sings now is because they're the biggest hits. That's a no-brainer. You insist that I should include 'at least' one Glenn song he is not currently doing in concert besides NKIT and Already Gone which don't count for some reason, and it has to be an 'older' song too although you also knock me for not including enough of his later songs in the second half when it's chronological order....why??? I don't keep track of that kind of thing and 99.9% of the audience doesn't either. Like I said for me it's about which songs are best in my opinion. Maybe those songs aren't played now because the audience doesn't like them as well.

And TK, no need to have a stroke, nobody expects the Eagles to really play my setlist. It was just what I would like.
    Last edited by Houston Debutante; 01-17-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    ~Sara

Wow, I was just offering my opinion, I didn't expect everybody to agree but I didn't expect to be scolded for my choices either.

FP ~ I didn't know I was supposed to make sure Glenn has as many leads as Don. I picked my songs based on what I liked, not based on whether Don sings lead or not. It just happened to work out he got more leads but I wasn't counting and honestly I didn't even think about it. For me it's about the music, and it's all Eagles music no matter who sings lead. I can see why it would seem bad if I only had like one Glenn song but he has several and probably the reason why they're the same ones he sings now is because they're the biggest hits. That's a no-brainer. You insist that I should include 'at least' one Glenn song he is not currently doing in concert....why??? I don't keep track of that kind of thing and 99.9% of the audience doesn't either. Like I said for me it's about which songs are best. Maybe those songs aren't played now because the audience doesn't like them as well.

And TK, no need to have a stroke, nobody expects the Eagles to really play my setlist. It was just what I would like.
    The whole point of the list is that it's what you want to hear! I tried to make mine 'realistic' in that in general, there's an even number of songs they both sing leads on in any given concert, not to mention realistic about what songs they'll sing to begin with. To be honest, making it realistic took some of the fun out of it.

It does seem to me that most people at the concerts don't pay attention to who sings what. Their favorite Eagles songs have more to do with what they associate it with in their life rather than who sings the lead or even, to some extent, the voice that sings it.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

FP ~ I didn't know I was supposed to make sure Glenn has as many leads as Don. I picked my songs based on what I liked, not based on whether Don sings lead or not. It just happened to work out he got more leads but I wasn't counting and honestly I didn't even think about it. For me it's about the music, and it's all Eagles music no matter who sings lead. I can see why it would seem bad if I only had like one Glenn song but he has several and probably the reason why they're the same ones he sings now is because they're the biggest hits. That's a no-brainer. You insist that I should include 'at least' one Glenn song he is not currently doing in concert besides NKIT and Already Gone which don't count for some reason, and it has to be an 'older' song too although you also knock me for not including enough of his later songs in the second half when it's chronological order....why??? I don't keep track of that kind of thing and 99.9% of the audience doesn't either. Like I said for me it's about which songs are best in my opinion. Maybe those songs aren't played now because the audience doesn't like them as well.

Your points are valid. However... I didn't say NKIT & AG don't count, it's just that i know that NKIT will not be reintroduced. I would have liked to see something like Outlaw Man or James Dean suggested especially when you put every one of Don's leads from HC except for The Last Resort in there, plus Those Shoes, plus Doolin-Dalton & its Reprise. A couple of of those songs were not hits. My own preference would be for more LROOE songs.

We can't prove that songs were dropped because the audience didn't like them as well. Neither can we prove that 99% of the audience doesn't care who sings what.

It is not that I am insisting that there be an equal number of leads. It's not that I'm denying that Don sang on the 'big hits' (although NKIT & HT were 'big hits'). But some songs which Glenn sang which were not hits are just as worthy of inclusion as something like Those Shoes or Wasted Time such as Outlaw Man or James Dean, or even The Girl From Yesterday, or Somebody or NMCD. What I guess I am saying is that I don't think a retrospective setlist should necessarily be all about the big hits. They have done that, ad infinitum.

I would totally, completely object to the title track of LROOE being shortened.

As far as LWKUA it would be nice if Tim had more than one song. The ideal would be to introduce Do Something. I don't think that will happen. I would also like to see King Of Hollywood in there (I would drop The Long Run, although I know that won't happen either).

TBS, I don't mind your list at all, although there still isn't enough of Glenn in the second half. If Somebody could be squeezed in there, I'd be happy with that, I guess.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-17-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    What I guess I am saying is that I don't think a retrospective setlist should necessarily be all about the big hits. They have done that, ad infinitum.
    I really hadn't thought about that, Fp, but I agree. I may need to redo my list with that in mind. Let's dig out some of the obscure songs.

This will take some time as I'm not very good at this.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm going to go for some more obscure songs too when I make mine, but truthfully part of the reason why the hits are popular is because those are some really terrific songs. Folks like to hear 'em... including me! An Eagles show without "Take It Easy" is just wrong, for instance.

I have to admit, the idea of chronological order really appeals to the OCD tendencies in me. How cool would it be to see videos of them through the years, in order, behind them as they play? Plus, it really fits into the "retrospective theme." Finally, it's DIFFERENT, glory hallelujah! As much as I adore the Eagles, even I am getting tired of the same-old same-old. In fact, if they didn't change it up, I'd probably only go to one concert a year (which for me is a small amount lol).

That being said, I think it should be chronological up until the encores. That can be kind of separate, occupying its own space with its own rules, and thus not having to coincide with the chronological theme of the rest of the show.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten