Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real friendships in a virtual world

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Real friendships in a virtual world

I saw this on Facebook and adapted it for The Border. I like what it says. So many think you can't have real friends in a virtual world, people that you have only met online, and that just isn't true. Many of my FB friends have proved that's not true and here on this forum it's definitely proven to not be true.

Our guys have enriched our lives with their wonderful music, and thanks to them we've all found this place and found each other. Here's to friends in a virtual world!!

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Real friendships in a virtual world

Oh VA, I couldnt have said it better myself.

The Border makes the world seem a whole lot smaller when you really think about it.It still amazes me that I can speak to people all over the world who are just a lot like me.
    I give thanks everyday for some of the wonderful friends I have met her.
    Blessings to you all who have made my world a better place by your kindess and friendships.
    tt

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

That is wonderful!! And from all across the world!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

VA, I love that! Yes, I too an very grateful for the friends I have met through the Border...We may not always agree on things, but we all have a love for our guys, so we try to understand the others point of view!

Some of you, I have met in person, & some I may never meet, but we are a tight group with a common ground & It's always a pleasure to see what my friends on the Border are up to & I am grateful that I have this little place to go to share the love of the Eagles!!! Love you guys!

I've told the story before about when Hubby and I went to the September 2008 Eagles show in Chicago. I had found The Border just a month before. When I told him I wanted us to have dinner before the show with some members of the board, he was very reluctant. But I persisted, and we met Soda and TBF and her husband Larry for the first time. Since then both of us have forged deeper friendships with them. Now he's much more open to meeting my online friends.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

So true! Thanks for posting that, VA.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

It's funny how your online friends can become longer and truer friends than those you're surrounded by on a daily basis.

I'm still very close with people I met on one of the main Fleetwood Mac message boards starting in 1997 and yet I barely keep in contact with anyone I went to high school with.

Just yesterday I ran into someone who was one of my best friends in high school and yet, I hadn't seen him in almost 10 years. It's funny how those people fall away but the Internet keeps fandom friends together.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is lovely, VA. Thanks for posting it. VA and I were just talking last night about this and then, after I hung up from talking to her, Soda called me not long after. It is amazing indeed that we have managed to forge such great friendships that started online. It was 2005 when Soda and I met at our first Eagles concert and we were actually talking last night about how well we travel together after all these many years and trips. Long live The Border!!!

Ali - I have to tell you that I lost touch with many of my high school friends over the years, but several years ago, after a class reunion, several of us reconnected and now meet several times a year for lunch or dinner to catch up with one another. But the thing that keeps us connected and able to communicate is that we set up a Facebook account for our class.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

This past summer, when I was going through the trauma and drama of a supposedly good friend of mine of over 20 years turning out to not be such a good friend, I got a lot of posts in that thread that said people were thinking of me and/or praying for me. Beyond that, I was surprised and pleased at how many phone calls, emails, private messages, Facebook messages, texts, and cards in the mail I got, just asking if I was OK or offering general support. I can't tell you all how needed that was, especially as it was evident I was losing (or already lost) what I had thought was a good friend. It was one of those things where I didn't realize how much I needed the support until I got it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, thanks for posting this and I wholeheartedly agree. It's so true!

I've been here since 2006, have never met most of you, and yet, I feel like I've known some of you forever and I think of you as very good friends! I so hope to meet more of you in the coming years!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten