Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Default Re: Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks. I've never really listened to Pink Floyd but maybe it's time to see what the fuss is about!

Please tell me it's because you lived in a remote village thousands of miles from civilization your whole life! LOL

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
    Wow what a happy coincidence I found this thread...at this very moment I am listening to other artists' covers of Pink Floyd songs! These guys will always be in my top 3 favorite bands of all time. I enjoyed reading your post, I never knew David Gilmour turned down 300 million for a reunion tour, wow!!!

My favorite Floyd songs are (not in order):

Comfortably Numb
    On the Turning Away
    Fat Old Sun
    Nobody Home
    Brain Damage/Eclipse (These songs should ALWAYS go together!!)
    Time
    the entire Animals album (too hard to pick one song!)

I saw them live in '94 on the Division Bell tour, twice in the same week, and saw Roger solo a few times since then! I wish I had been born early enough to see them in the 70's though, all together!
    Was born in 1976 here so I missed the classic lineup. Got to see The Division Bell Tour in 1994 when it hit Foxboro, MA. Plus saw Roger five times (The Wall shows and In the Flesh 2000 were the best solo shows he did).

Animals I will listen to a live bootleg of before I play the album as Gilmour and Rick Wright played better on the songs in live performance than on the album.
    How I wish, how I wish you were here.

The three surviving Pink Floyd members (Nick Mason, Roger Waters and David Gilmour) and the Pink Floyd co-founders and key figures who have gone to their rest (Richard "Rick" Wright, "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett and longtime manager Steve O'Rourke (who managed the band until his 2003 death, God bless them all).

A Pink Floyd tune which started as a David Gilmour acoustic ditty before Roger Waters decided to add lyrics and it became the title cut to Wish You Were Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPL_SV3n7IU

The three surviving Pink Floyd members (Nick Mason, Roger Waters and David Gilmour) and the Pink Floyd co-founders and key figures who have gone to their rest (Richard "Rick" Wright, "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett and longtime manager Steve O'Rourke (who managed the band until his 2003 death, God bless them all).

Of course the song that is Pink Floyd's equal to "Hotel California" which is "Comfortably Numb" from The Wall which was performed in 1980 live at Earls Court in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv9wXMCvNHk

This is the 17 minute edit of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from the 2001 Echoes compilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv9wXMCvNHk

Stuck on the Border

I love the early "pastoral" stuff like "Green is the colour". Beautiful stuff.
    I have to say that Roger Waters seems to be slightly misunderstood. I can't say anything about him as a person, because I don't know him, but what no one ever says is that he has written some really moving and emotional stuff. Most people bash the Final Cut album, but it has some really moving stuff. Everyone says that he's a horrible singer. Maybe so, but he's a perfect singer for some of the stuff he writes.
    Check out these two songs:

How many songs are there about being afraid of exposing your weak side and being totally withdrawn emotionally, that are this moving and genuine:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e-yO6_FbtI[/ame]

How about trying to understand what a guy that is/has been in a war goes through in his head:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIJN6WWf3Rg[/ame]

I can understand people saying that Waters is a cold, but don't say that his music is!

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I love the early "pastoral" stuff like "Green is the colour". Beautiful stuff.
    I have to say that Roger Waters seems to be slightly misunderstood. I can't say anything about him as a person, because I don't know him, but what no one ever says is that he has written some really moving and emotional stuff. Most people bash the Final Cut album, but it has some really moving stuff. Everyone says that he's a horrible singer. Maybe so, but he's a perfect singer for some of the stuff he writes.
    Check out these two songs:

How many songs are there about being afraid of exposing your weak side and being totally withdrawn emotionally, that are this moving and genuine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e-yO6_FbtI

How about trying to understand what a guy that is/has been in a war goes through in his head:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIJN6WWf3Rg

I can understand people saying that Waters is a cold, but don't say that his music is!
    Roger just became powerful and domineering and drove David Gilmour and Rick Wright to seclusion and not contribute like they did on Atom Heart through Wish You Were Here.

This is an early live version of "Fat Old Sun" from July of 1970 and was written by David Gilmour (who also sings it).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8P-xQDKb0[/ame]

A live version of "Wish You Were Here" from Pink Floyd recorded in Zurich, Switzerland in February of 1977. David Gilmour on electric guitar and vocals, Roger Waters on bass guitar and backing vocals, Nick Mason on drums, Rick Wright on keyboards, Snowy White on 12 string acoustic guitar and just a great version.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqNHkNgEsjk[/ame]

Thanks guys for sharing all these amazing videos! Pink Floyd are absolutely awesome! I've loved their songs since I was a child thanks to my father. He's got one of my favourite album ever, The Dark Side Of The Moon Vinyl ... would just listen to this from morning till night

"Come on baby, don't say maybe ... I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna save me ..." (Take it easy)