Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Default Re: Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    Welcome to the border TJ...I'd have to say my favorite Pink Floyd song is Us and Them...glad to have you here...hope you enjoy it!!!
    I enjoy the forum so far and thankfully (unlike many forums I used to be on) is not clique ridden. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd (obvious), The Eagles, Rush, The Who, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Black Sabbath and AC/DC.

Figured I'd share some rare Floyd tracks many never heard on this thread and also solo works which may have never been exposed before.

Thanks. I've never really listened to Pink Floyd but maybe it's time to see what the fuss is about!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks. I've never really listened to Pink Floyd but maybe it's time to see what the fuss is about!
    They are the fourth highest selling band in US history just behind The Eagles, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.

This was the song that paved the way towards what would pay off in spades with The Dark Side of the Moon nearly a year and a half later, the 23-minute "Echoes" from 1971's Meddle (the song was Side 2 of the original album).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PsjIGxBkRk[/ame]

A 23 minute song? Not sure I'm ready for that kind of time commitment. lol

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    A 23 minute song? Not sure I'm ready for that kind of time commitment. lol
    Well, here is "Us and Them" which is a shorter song than "Echoes".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcG47CpsU6c[/ame]

Thanks for the rec.

Seeing Dark Side of the Moon turns the big 4-0 (already has in the States) I will be posting tracks and rarities from the album. This is the studio version of "The Travel Sequence" which would then be dropped for "On the Run" during the mixing sessions for Dark Side.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsYp9Ye2xg[/ame]
    How I wish, how I wish you were here.

The three surviving Pink Floyd members (Nick Mason, Roger Waters and David Gilmour) and the Pink Floyd co-founders and key figures who have gone to their rest (Richard "Rick" Wright, "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett and longtime manager Steve O'Rourke (who managed the band until his 2003 death, God bless them all).

Now David Gilmour with techno outfit The Orb with a snippet from Metallic Spheres called "Hymns to the Sun" featuring David playing his black Fender Stratocaster and lap steel guitars. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but this is Gilmour's more recent project (which he served as a guest, the album is credited to The Orb featuring David Gilmour).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRjN7cBG3-s[/ame]

The three surviving Pink Floyd members (Nick Mason, Roger Waters and David Gilmour) and the Pink Floyd co-founders and key figures who have gone to their rest (Richard "Rick" Wright, "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett and longtime manager Steve O'Rourke (who managed the band until his 2003 death, God bless them all).

Well, for Freypower, this is "Echoes (Part 1)" performed in Pompeii, Italy in October of 1971 so I wouldn't expose you to all of Echoes in one chunk (some I know don't have 20 plus minutes for a side long piece, seeing I'm a musician I don't mind). RIP Richard Wright.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJkgv9wpgU[/ame]

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Wow what a happy coincidence I found this thread...at this very moment I am listening to other artists' covers of Pink Floyd songs! These guys will always be in my top 3 favorite bands of all time. I enjoyed reading your post, I never knew David Gilmour turned down 300 million for a reunion tour, wow!!!

My favorite Floyd songs are (not in order):

Comfortably Numb
    On the Turning Away
    Fat Old Sun
    Nobody Home
    Brain Damage/Eclipse (These songs should ALWAYS go together!!)
    Time
    the entire Animals album (too hard to pick one song!)

I saw them live in '94 on the Division Bell tour, twice in the same week, and saw Roger solo a few times since then! I wish I had been born early enough to see them in the 70's though, all together!