Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Feb. 21 2013, QPAC, Brisbane, Australia

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Feb. 21 2013, QPAC, Brisbane, Australia

I should apologise for the appalling Australian media, although according to QPAC's Facebook page he was shown rehearsing on Channel 7 News.

I will get to the reviews probably on Monday.

By the way, as with the American T shirts there is a mistake on the Australian one. It lists Hobart whereas he is actually playing Tamworth & Newcastle.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Doesn't matter about the towns FP! Will you get me a t-shirt though? Any other merchandise?

Sounds like you've had a wonderful experience. I'm thrilled for you And more to come next week too!

Looking forward to reading your reviews!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Yep, can't wait to read your reviews, FP!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Doesn't matter about the towns for me either.

I'll enjoy the anticipation of waiting for your reviews!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yep, we understand Fp! Enjoy your times!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

have a blast fp

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Doesn't matter about the towns FP! Will you get me a t-shirt though? Any other merchandise?

Sounds like you've had a wonderful experience. I'm thrilled for you And more to come next week too!

Looking forward to reading your reviews!
    The merchandise was exactly the same as in the US. I will probably get a 2013 keyring.

I know you want to read what I have to say but if you could be patient until tomorrow I'll be grateful. It was awesome being so close, I will say that, and the After Hours songs were wonderful. Then there was something which happened at the end which some of my FB friends know a bit about. Nothing better has happened to me at any show I have ever seen in my entire life.

More tomorrow.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks FP, and post when you are ready to, it's a busy time!

It took me 2 weeks to get my LA review up! I know what it's like!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

This is not written as a song by song review, more a collection of thoughts. I wish to start with a couple of minor concerns. I thought that perhaps he wasn't all that happy with his performance because before TITTL he said 'it's singalong time. You can help out an old soldier who's losing his voice'. This line was not repeated in Melbourne. I thought the only major error was in HTL where at the last 'may all your storms be weathered' he started singing 'dreams' instead of 'storms' & had to instantly correct himself, but he smiled at it. There were a couple of minor glitches during Caroline, No. He has also reverted to the falsetto in the bridge of YBTTC. The only other disappointment was him playing guitar in THIO (the Duesenberg). The arrangement was much tighter & less spontaneous than the version I saw in LA. I think he would have been better just singing rather than using the guitar as a prop.

I was front row just to his right. It was an amazing view; such a shame then that photography was strictly forbidden. Because I was so close to him I probably didn't listen as closely as I should have done or look at how he moved. I did more of that in Melbourne.

He was wearing the black suit & there was a white thread hanging from his jacket. Much later I observed another thread on the hem of his trousers. This is what happens when you are close.

When he first hit the stage he saw me pretty quickly. I then kept wondering did he remember me? Well, put it this way. As more & more anecdotes were delivered to my side of the stage it became quite obvious that he did. So I made sure I responded in an appropriate manner - nodding sagely at the praise of Randy Newman & mouthing 'where mother is half a word' along with him after he introduced Roberto who is from Detroit like himself.

Another standout moment came during my beloved Swamp Smuggler's Blues which was perfect as usual. The line 'they hide it up in Telluride' became 'they hide it up in Jindabyne'. Who told him Jindabyne, NSW is our equivalent of a ski resort? The Brisbane audience loved this; the Melbourne audience didn't seem to pick up on it, which was strange, because the Melbourne crowd was more 'cluey'.

The After Hours songs were wonderful. I cannot get enough of the way he moves during Route 66 & how he does a bit of scat singing at the end. FSR was beautiful; smooth, rich & creamy (I like it a lot more now I've seen it up close). TSOYS was intense. TLOL probably had the biggest crowd reaction. As for the magnficent Here's To Life I was gratified to hear him say that it reminded him of his own life & it was one of his particular favourites. Same Girl was stately, majestic, aching, passionate - I am totally addicted to the way he sings this song. The mic stand clutching moments I like so much occurred during SG & Caroline, No & when he was talking.

The rendition of Desperado was the best I have ever seen. It was note perfect. It was a privilege to watch. After the 'much' moment he shared with Danny in Lyin' Eyes he looked at me as if to draw me into it. (In 2004 I had him sing the word directly to me). I got another very nice glance before Danny's solo in YBTTC. Sometimes his eyes are hard to see. Not this time. He did not do On The Way Home.

At the end, before the first encore, people gave a standing ovation & those at the front went to the edge of the stage. I was extremely fortunate in that the band entered & exited to their right, so they had to come past me. So there I was, staring. He winked at me. Wow, I thought. He then came right up in front of me, looked down at me & said 'you've come a long way'.

Did he mean Niagara Falls or did he remember back to Sydney? Anyway I blurted out 'you knew I'd be here'! I think this is true. I am so glad that I had enough presence of mind to speak to him. I held out my hand out of instinct. He took it briefly but then he leaned down & kissed me on the cheek. He then stood back up, smiled & said to me 'thanks for coming, sweetheart'. He then left the stage.

I said, 'oh, Glenn'. I collapsed back into my seat & saw the people behind staring open-mouthed at me. Then the people next to me reassured me that he DID kiss me on the cheek because I did not remember that at all; it happened so quickly. Then suddenly it came into my head; the SOUND of it, the imprint of it, the feel of it. Does that make sense?

He does know me & he took the time to do that. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me at a concert & one of the highlights of my life. I know there are people here who have met him & talked to him, but to quote MK for me I thought it was 'beyond my wildest dreams' that this could happen to me. Bless him. I am proud of him & proud of all he has done & proud to be a fan. I am so happy & privileged that he shared this music with us & that he & I 'shared these moments'.

OMG Julie!! I am Speechless! I am literally sitting here grinning at the computer. I could not be happier for you Hun. I know how long you've waited to have such an encounter with Glenn and it sounds like it was worth the wait and definately an evening you will NEVER forget!!