Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feb. 22, 2013, Palais Theater, St. Kilda, Australia

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Feb. 22, 2013, Palais Theater, St. Kilda, Australia

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

VK

VK

Wonderful, wonderful, VA! Thanks so much for posting!

Glenn's hair looks a little longer & thus wavier than usual.

This must be the gold guitar that FP was talking about:

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Those are freakin' incredible!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Great pictures! Thanks so much.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, great pictures! Thanks Va!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Ah. Memories. Wow. Yes, that is the famous new gold guitar which he now plays on EVERY electric song. Those photos are probably TOYL & THIO. The only time he plays the Sunburst is during WBSIMB. The shot with the towel in his hand is Desperado. The one where he has his hands behind his back is TLOL.

The air conditioning seemed OK to me but I was not exactly noticing it, shall we say.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Its a Duesenberg .

We (JAHH and I ) saw him play it in Bethelham PA last may

FP SO glad you had a great time....he does put on an awsome show

Stuck on the Border

Let us get right to this because it did not take long. (The wink smiley means more to me now).

My first concern was whether he would notice me because I was in the fourth row on the right, to his left, further back than I would have liked. It wasn't bad but I didn't think it was very good for Glenntact. I could hardly complain, could I?

He could not have been on stage for 10 seconds before he looked over to where I was. I swear I am not making this up. I held his gaze & smiled sweetly at him. I didn't wave or anything. He stared back & then he shook his head in what appeared to be disbelief. I honestly do think he was impressed that I was there. He then mouthed 'you're....' and I didn't catch the next word. It sounded like it started with 'f' but I assure you it was not THAT. People have since suggested it may have been 'fantastic' or 'fabulous'. Either way it just sealed what had happened the previous night. It was surreal. I looked at the people next to me & said 'he knows me, sort of' (these same people left after three songs).

Anyway with his obligations taken care of he could get on with the show! I said earlier that it was musically & vocally superior to Brisbane & I meant it. This is the best singing & the best performing he's ever done. Being slightly further away, I could see how hard he was working. He poured every ounce of himself into it. And singing those ballads, alone in a spotlight, is not a walk in the park. It requires total, utter commitment.

The crowd was more raucous than in Brisbane & that seemed to lift his spirits somewhat. During Tequila Sunrise he shouted 'Viva Mexico'! pronounced the Mexican way. Now that's a new one! He talked about the heat, as he had talked about the rain in Brisbane. Before LE he said he had to do 'plaintiff' because he did it every night. He encouraged us to sing the last chorus & I am happy to say looked at me while he sang it.

When he started the AH bracket he said that his father was 91 & his mother 88 on Christmas Day (this received applause in both cities). When he mentioned the album, there was scattered applause & he said 'you're the 7 - no, 8! people who bought it'! I was again delighted to hear that Route 66 was one of his favourites. He kicked his leg up in the air & danced around which I hadn't seen him do since Niagara Falls. The performance of it is more intense than the oh so cool laid back album version. His pronunciation of the second 'OH so pretty' was brilliant.

He introduced the Melbourne Pops Orcestra which was again conducted by Guy Noble. He got the line in again about his favourite sound being an orchestra tuning up (in Brisbane he had said that as a singer it was an honour for him to do this). At the end of FSR, after a particularly sweet, soft rendition of the words 'my heart' he & the others inserted three 'oohs' which I hadn't noticed in Brisbane. Then we got TSOYS (this was the song with the mic stand stuff which involved him cupping both hands on it & then singing the first verse with one hand on it). At the end, he clasped his hands in front of his legs & looked down at the floor, exactly as he does in the video.

Same Girl remained absolute, sheer perfection. He nailed Caroline, No with no trouble at all. Then he did the build up to HTL. Before he started singing he stood with his head lowered gearing himself up. I described this performance on FB as 'bravura'. He has never performed this way before. The expansiveness of his gestures & his stance, the way he threw himself into it & of course the sound of that astonishing voice, made it the highlight of the night. I wish every Eagles fan in the world could see him & hear him sing & perform like this.

Before Worried Mind he did a good line about how Ray Charles had scandalised a lot of white people in the 50s with his country albums. It brought some light relief. Even After Hours itself, while beautiful, wasn't in the same league as HTL.

THIO was tighter & more focused than in Brisbane. He went up the scale on four notes before the last 'oh, oh'. I will pay even closer attention to it on Friday, particularly the 'The. Heat. Is. On'. part but I would still prefer him not to play guitar even if he spent most of the song clicking his fingers. Charisma? Well, yes.

Fortunately I had 'don't let the sound of your own wheels' directed at me during TIE but that's about all I have to say. When he said 'thank you' at the very end he also looked my way. I should not over-emphasise this. I''m only telling you how it was.

Bring on Sydney. The mind boggles.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-24-2013 at 10:04 PM.