Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar. 1, 2013 Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

Stuck on the Border

Default Mar. 1, 2013 Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

In my previous reviews I have used notes that I wrote after the shows. I'm not doing that for this review. I was too tired last night & I can't get my head around trying to write a summary. So this is going to be totally out of thin air. I wanted it to be more detailed, but it probably won't be.

First of all I had a superb seat in the second row just to Glenn's left (tonight I will be one row back & further away). But it was not a night for recognition. I think he gave me my big moment & decided that was enough. I had the occasional glance from him. The nicest moment was before Same Girl. He gave me a small wave. He knows how much I love Randy & his version of the song (which again did not disappoint. It was spine chilling). He also sang a bit of Worried Mind to me but that was about it.

He was wearing the black suit again & his hair has lost the curl & gone spiky on the top (see Newcastle photos). He looks remarkably fit.

The first three Eagles songs were beautifully sung as usual. After PEF he said how glad he was to be in such an iconic building. There was real emotion in his voice as he said it. It was a serious show & he intended to concentrate.

Once again I cannot rave too much about Route 66 although he toned down some of the moves he did in Melbourne & made it much more a straight jazz rendition. I wish I could click my fingers like that (I can't - never have been able to do so).

Then he introduced the SSO again conducted by Guy Noble. We were given a flyer as we went in, with their names & instruments which was very good to have, as well as Glenn's band & tour management information. But again I couldn't really see the orchestra. He did his line about his favourite sound being the tuning up only to find that they had already tuned up! He said he didn't expect that!

FSR is Nat King Cole & the audience absolutely ate it up. When he does it live it has so much more depth & meaning than the recorded version. I could listen to him sing the word 'you' forever & also he changes the final 'my heart' slightly each time now.

TSOYS was absolutely intense. I said I was going to pay more attention. It was just stunning. He had the one note on the piano from Michael as his key (in Melbourne Michael played the note twice & he said 'I heard you the first time'!) So were Same Girl & Caroline, No. They were sung absolutely flawlessly. He is more relaxed now & is starting to conduct his band. He was gesturing to Richard whether to go 'high' or low' for instance. After each song he either said 'thank you' or 'thank you so much' which is sweet. While the anecdotes were all there he was less jokey than he can be about them. Instead of saying 'I'm gonna play you...' before HTL he said 'I'm gonna sing you'... and then proceeded to storm through it. I would be crying if it weren't so mesmeric to watch & hear. His interpretation is so passionate & heartfelt. I forgot TLOL. It was beautiful. I should apologise for the gushing! When he was talking about Bacharach & David he said how left field they were & how they used chords from Ravel. This is the second time I have seen him make a classical music reference. He referred to Mahler in LA.

When we got to TOYL it was probably the best version yet, & the audience seemed to KNOW it. Tom Evans did a great sax solo.

During the band intros Will sort of looked around from side to side as if he was wondering where he was. He was very cute (no glasses). I had a fantastic view of Scott & his drumming was superb.

After Hours itself hasn't been a particular standout of the set for me, though I love it. I just love watching him weave his way through it. he said it was their tribute to Bacharach. THIO was again extremely cool. I think it is now interesting that the new version of Smuggler's Blues is now also being described as jazz. As people know, I think it's perfect. WBSIMB was also particularly good. Then he left the stage.

He came back & did TIE; so he changed the order of the songs around. Then he came back with the orchestra & did TITL & Desperado, both of which were utterly perfect. Our surprise, I suppose, was getting a third encore which was YBTTC. I had hope he was going to sing the bridge in his normal voice & he did sing 'when you said goodbye/you were on the run' that way but then he went back to the falsetto.

I am happy to say that there was NOT ONE fault in his singing the entire night. I have been very lucky. I am emotionally exhausted & I have to do it all again tonight. Glenn, thank you so much for doing this.

Oh... and I got some photos. Ironically it was easier to get photos of him playing guitar than of him just singing. I'm about to upload them & see how they look. Then I'll share them.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-01-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Mar. 1, 2013 Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

Oh, FP, I've said countless times how happy I am for you that you get to see these shows, but I must say, I am so very happy for him to be playing them as well. Especially these two at the Sydney Opera House. I can tell by the photos posted for previous shows that he is really enjoying this, and a happy Glenn makes for a happy fan.

In my opinion, he should tour more here in the US as inspiration for making After Hours II.

I loved your review, FP. Thank you so very much for sharing, and I'm already looking forward to reading what you have to write about tonight's show!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks, FP - I love to read reviews written by hardcore fans like you; the more gushing the better!

I can't wait to see your photos!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I should have done a lot better than I did. I had to delete some because they were blurred & those I did get should have been better.

This isn't great but I kept it.

Last edited by Freypower; 04-12-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I'm very happy with this one. The heat is ON indeed.

I seemed to cut the top of his head off a couple of times.

I'm happy with this.

Last edited by Freypower; 04-12-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Stuck on the Border

This isn't great but I kept it.

Blurred but better than nothing.

I will try to do better tonight.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-12-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

These are great!! I like!! Hey, for every pic I posted I deleted three, I swear.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Fabulous!!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Oh Thank you thank you FP.
    I love your pictures and your review.

Have a blast tonight and I am with you in spirit... such a hunks hunka burning man.
    enjoy the show

I can't see them . I get the message "This picture moved or deleted this image".