Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar. 2, 2013 Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

Stuck on the Border

Default Mar. 2, 2013 Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

I have already mentioned this on FB but I want to get it out of the way. It was remarkable in one way, puzzling in another.

After PEF & Tequila Sunrise Glenn suddenly said that he had a special request from two women from Vienna, Austria, who had come here to see the show. He gave their names. This received a round of applause. These women were front row centre & I had seen Michael talking to them before the show started, but I had thought nothing of it. He said he was going back to a country song from Hell Freezes Over & he then proceeded to play The Girl From Yesterday. I was absolutey gobsmacked to use a British term & sat with my mouth hanging open which Danny clearly relished. At one point I pointed to myself when Glenn sang the title. He sang it beautifully, of course. It was an absolute privilege to see it. Afterwards, he said 'I hope George Jones records that song before he or I die'.

As for the women? I thought he'd play to them all night & my heart sank. He sang 'much' to them in Lyin' Eyes (I had that back in 2004) & he pointed at each of them. That is pretty much the sum total of the attention they got. Yes, having a song dedicated to them is a very big deal indeed. Good luck to them, I suppose. I believe I had already encountered them at Fallsview when he referred to them 'following him around Europe' & then there they were at Fallsview.

For myself during PEF I had a section sung to me which made me blush. I am not making this up. I don't blush easily. I tried to click my fingers at him during Route 66, which I can't, but he saw it. I waved at him during Smuggler's Blues. The woman next to me said 'he saw you' & I said 'I know'. (I know my Star Wars references).

I concentrated more on the lighting, which was very dramatic, and he had the spotlight on him in songs like Same Girl & Here's To Life. Can these songs get any better? I just sat there & wallowed in his voice. He is absolutely at the height of his powers as a singer & performer. So I really don't have much more to say beyond what I said in the previous reviews. He was effusive in his praise of the SSO & bowed to them near the end (He bowed to the audience the previous show, which was very sweet).

I got some photos, both on my phone & my camera.

I wish to thank him again from the bottom of my heart for doing this. He has made me very, very happy.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-03-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: Mar. 2, 2013 Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

Wow!! He hasn't done that song live in almost 20 years.... Oh my gosh!!! What a thrill to be able to hear it! Those girls must be dying.... He continues to blow my mind with how awesomely he treats his hardcores - first you, then these ladies. How I wish I could have been there!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

As I've heard you say before, Soda, he's a man made of awesomeness!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for sharing all of your excellent Glenn adventures with us, FP. I know you will cherish these memories forever.

And how wonderful that he sang The Girl From Yesterday for those two ladies. They have been following him across the globe and deserve the dedication. I'm very happy for them and agree that Glenn Frey is made of awesome! I don't care what anyone says about him, the man loves and appreciates his fans.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Amen!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Thanks for posting that amazing review. He sang Tequila Sunrise?!! That is so awesome. He blows my mind each and every day. That is too cool that he saw you in the crowd. Man Smuggler's Blues. I adore that song. God I wish I were there. LOL.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Amazing! How kind he is to his hardcore fans! He really us a wonderful man! I'm so glad too FP that you have had such wonderful shows over the last 2 weeks. I'm sure you'll never forget this time.

Has the PGW set in yet?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I've been so happy that it would be wrong to have PGW; simple as that.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I've been so happy that it would be wrong to have PGW; simple as that.
    glad you had a blast and wonderful concert memories....
    the mand is awsome. to his fans to boot
    hubba hubba great showman

Stuck on the Border

Here are the photos from the second Sydney show, first from the phone:

If you look closely at this you will see why I like it, unless I am deluding myself. ETA: I zoomed in & his eyes are closed but he's facing the right way!

Last edited by Freypower; 04-12-2013 at 07:32 PM.