Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Petmania

Default Re: Petmania

Our 6 year old cat Copper & 12 year old Katie have never gotten along too well. Katie is the boss of our 5 cats even though she was the 4th to arrive & is the smallest of the five. She didn't take too well to Copper's arrival & they would occassionally have a boxing match. Most of the time though, Copper was a bit timid of her.

Several months ago Copper became much more timid of Katie & started spending most of his time hiding in my closet. He also began staking his territory! We took him to the vet in hopes that there was a physical reason causing this change in behaviour, but he got a clean bill of health. The vet thinks that he must have had an altercation with Katie that caused this change in his behaviour. She recommended that we try to find him a new home in a single cat household.

I was heartbroken at the thought of having to give up my "baby", but it wasn't fair to him to have him be so afraid that he spent that much of his time in the closet & we couldn't have him continue to spray. The only other suggestion that vet had was to give him medication that was a derivative of Prozac, but she was very doubtful that this would have any effect on him.

I told her that we would try anything that might help so she ordered the pills. Well, after one pill he was a new cat! He became much more playful & stopped hiding in the closet! We had forgotten how playful he had been before. He is much more relaxed & as you can see in the picture below, he stretches out & sleeps on the sofa without a worry about Katie. He still acts a bit timid towards her at times, but only when he wants to. Other times he may just walk up to her & unprevoked, give her a swat!

Halleluia for Kittie Prozac!

EK, good for you and Sparky for doing well, but I was LOL at the visual of Sparky running out of the ring!

GL, that story about Copper is so cool! I'm so glad you were able to keep him. That picture of him is precious..
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

oh Ann Copper is adorable...I can't imagine having to give up one of my babies either...so glad he is doing well on the meds....wonder what Katie is thinking?...hmmm.what's gotten into brother lately?

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    oh Ann Copper is adorable...I can't imagine having to give up one of my babies either...so glad he is doing well on the meds....wonder what Katie is thinking?...hmmm.what's gotten into brother lately?
    LOL! At times I don't think she is too happy with his new found confidence!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

That picture of Cooper is so cute!!!! I'm glad that you were able to keep him Ann. It would've been terrible if you had to give him up for adoption. LOL Kittie Prozac!!!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Yay Sparky!!

Aww...poor Copper...glad it is working for him...he's a handsome kitty!

Glad to hear his precious nerves are soothed!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

kitty is so cute..or is it ahndsome..??glad he is doing well

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

GL, Copper is adorable and I'm glad the meds have helped. 5 cats in one house? Yikes!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    GL, Copper is adorable and I'm glad the meds have helped. 5 cats in one house? Yikes!
    Yes 5! Once we rescued the 1st one my husband couldn't resist whenever somebody said they needed a home for a cat! We have a very "furry" house which is otherwise known as a "Cat House".