Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1130

Thread: How's the weather?

Default Re: How's the weather?

The weather here in southeast Texas has been wonderful the last two days, sunny and warm (high 60s/mid 70s). It’s such a stark contrast compared to last week, when there was snow (which made for some lovely pictures) and sub-freezing temperatures, compounded with no electric power. We were very fortunate that we at least had heat from our gas fireplace and were able to use our gas stovetop to heat up food. We also had water, thanks to my husband diligently running water through our pipes ever so often, including during the night. We had made the decision to drain our pool a couple of months ago to avoid all the maintenance headaches during winter. That probably saved it b/c other people are dealing with busted pipes and pumps and costly repairs with their pool.

We are used to power going out in our area, mainly b/c the main road near our subdivision is being widened, a project that has lasted a couple of years. However it usually last from a few minutes to maybe an hour or so. We were not expecting it to be out for hours and hours.

The power went out right when the Richie Furay virtual concert was about to begin a couple of months ago. The hubs managed to fix our temperamental generator but then the power came on at that point. Well, the same thing happened last week. The generator would not kick on, and after several attempts he finally managed to get it to work. Believe it or not the power came on almost immediately after that. This was Wednesday around noontime and thankfully it stayed on for good.

The experience sucked but like so many countless others, we managed. A few others were not so lucky and that is sad. Hopefully we (including our state leaders) have all learned something from this.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Ireland is currently experiencing quite a heatwave the last week or so. Temperatures are just about hitting 90 F and while I know thats common for many of you in America its quite tiring here. We wouldn't have air conditioning in our homes as a rule. But it is nice to know that the sun will be shining when we waken every morning and the evenings are very pleasantly cool.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

We have been having heat indexes around 115F, but it's getting cooler----Due to Hurricane Ida approaching! We had a terrible ordeal last year with Hurricane Laura. Hoping it will weaken and pass to the East, but not as far as Shun and Soda! Here we go again, y'all!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FF - We'll be thinking about you. Please stay safe and check back in with us when you get a chance.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

To all our fellow borderers in hurricane country, I hope y'all stay safe during this season. With each year it seems the storms are more intense.

Yes, those in Ida's path: Take care! Last week (I think), I was worried about my friend on Long Island who was in Henri's path. Now it's Louisiana!

Thanks everybody.

We are now activated at my job. We are in stress, going crazy and need a drink mode. lol I will have to come in to work for the next 3 days on my off days starting tomorrow. I'm working my regular scheduled shift at this moment and my bosses are here right now. I might have one day off before I go back to my regular time.

Both Soda and I will probably get some heavy rain. It won't pass her area of the state until Tuesday. Since I'm more closer down to the gulf, I'll be seeing the heavy rain come Sunday night.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Friends in the path of the hurricane, prayers for your safety
    Here in CA we are burning up literally. High heat in some areas and big fires in others. We had another fire break out here in SoCal.
    Everyone stay safe.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, friends. Ida passed further east of us than they had initially thought, so we only got wind and rain (not bad at all). Hope all is well , Soda and Shun!

Scamp, What terrible reports from the wildfires! When I see some of the news coverage, I have to look away. I can't imagine how terrifying they would be! All you Golden Staters, Take Care!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

FF, I'm so glad Ida wasn't too bad. I see the news reports on the flooding and just hope that the levees hold up this season. I don't ever want to see a repeat of Katrina.

Scamp, My heart breaks every time I see or hear something about the California wildfires. Like I told my Facebook friends in 2019, my home state is on fire and there is nothing I can do about it.

Salt Lake City is in a valley, just like Sacramento. And just like my beloved hometown, Mormonland is sandwiched between two areas prone to wildfires. The Utah fire season has been rough this summer. Super bad air quality for the past three months. Even today, three weeks away from the first day of Fall, and the sun is the color of a blood orange.

Climate change has me so upset and depressed, that I just want to sit in a corner and cry sometimes.