Page 97 of 113 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the weather?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: How's the weather?

Wow! I guess I should be grateful that the weather here is pretty mild this week - high's in the mid to upper 50's except for Thanksgiving Day when it's only supposed to top out a 39°.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Cold here today but tomorrow (Thanksgiving ) is supposed to only be a high of 25 degrees. On the news this morning they said the ballons may not be able to fly for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade if wind gusts hit 35 mph. Right now they are forecasting 33mph winds for tomorrow. So, Mother Nature is cutting it close for tomorrow.
    That is one thing I've always wanted to do: Go downtown and see the balloons being inflated for the parade. Don't they do that the night before? I can't remember.

We were on Long Island for Thanksgiving the year or two after we were married. I wanted to go into the city the day after Thanksgiving. Mind you, this was 30+ years ago. My husband looked at me like I was crazy and just said, "No." Actually, he may have added an expletive in there somewhere. I think that was the first time I ever heard the work "gridlock" on the radio.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    That is one thing I've always wanted to do: Go downtown and see the balloons being inflated for the parade. Don't they do that the night before? I can't remember.

We were on Long Island for Thanksgiving the year or two after we were married. I wanted to go into the city the day after Thanksgiving. Mind you, this was 30+ years ago. My husband looked at me like I was crazy and just said, "No." Actually, he may have added an expletive in there somewhere. I think that was the first time I ever heard the work "gridlock" on the radio.
    Hi CAinOH - Yes, they blow up the balloons tonight and it is open to the public. From what I have seen on the news, it gets pretty packed. I have never been to the parade. However, my sister used to be in the parade when she worked for the flag ship Macys in NYC. I can tell you to get a good seat at the parade you would probably have to claim a good spot tonight. That means waiting in the freezing cold all night. I personally don't care for those kinds of crowds - too many people - lol. This weekend it supposed to be crazy in the city. They have issued commuter alerts for the entire weekend. Most people try to avoid the city this weekend.

However, my nephew is coming up from Fla. for Christmas. I know he will want to go into the city as he loves NYC. I have done the Christmas thing in the city so many times before. Hope we can at least go on a day that is not freezing cold.

We are getting hit with our first snow storm of the season. It started snowing around 9:00 this morning and is still coming down hard. It took a while for it to begin sticking, but no problem with that anymore. We have about 4 inches right now and it's not supposed to let up until around 11:00 this evening.

Border Desperado Midnight_Flyer's Avatar

freezing cold

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Mild but dreary with fog!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Boy - Mother Nature is still very unpredictable in spite of all of our fancy technology. Last Sunday, the predictions were for us to get 1 - 3 inches of snow in my area. I knew we were in trouble when we had over 4 inches by mid-afternoon. We ended up getting a foot of snow and it's still not melted yet. We are supposed to get rain this afternoon and all day tomorrow so I'm hoping that will melt most of it. We almost never get this much snow, especially this early - it's not even winter yet.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Dreamer, wow! I bet lots were snowed in!

Our weather people aren't any more accurate here either! Everyone says if you want to know what the weather is it's best to just look out the window!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Wow Dreamer hope it all melts. They screwed up our weather report too. I was supposed to get a trace to one inch of snow. I got five inches. Yesterday it poured all day long. I think we have already broke the record for rain fall for the year. Tomorrow it is supposed to get cold again ( Yesterday was 50 and today is 45 ). Everyone seems to be having crazy weather.

We've gotten a lot of rain this year too. Although the most recent was unwelcome, at least it did melt most of the snow.

And our weather people don't always get it right for sure, but it is unusual for them to be as 'off' as they were with their predictions this time. As you said, Brooke, just looking out the window still seems to be the most reliable technology we have.