Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Default I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

Yes, you read that right!

I am just sitting here listening to them, Too Many Hands was just on, and since I found out that song is about the Earth, I love it even more, and musicially it's amazing too. Which led me to thinking, so many of their songs weren't even singles or hits at all but they should have been. I don't even know anyone in my life (not from the internet LOL) who likes them, and in fact in the last week TWO of my friends both said they didn't like them and couldn't believe how into them I am now. So it's been my experience that if you tell people you like the Eagles, you will get ridiculed. It's always been this way, so that leads me to think this band is underrated. If people only knew. I guess most people just don't "get it". And then there's that whole Big Lebowski thing, I never felt that was justified!

Does anyone else feel this way?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

Well, they've always been my favorite band and I think they are America's greatest band!

I've loved them since the beginning and listened to Take It Easy and Witchy Woman on the radio when dating my husband back in the day! So, no matter what other people say, in my heart they are wonderful and always have been!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I agree! In a lot of ways they brought it on themselves, not playing the games back in the day with courting the media or even DJs. They report on those who stroke their feathers and the Eagles didn't do that. Each time the documentary airs on one of the Showtime channels, I see a lot of tweets from people who are 'remembering' how much they liked the Eagles, how good they really were, etc.

As someone who has problems listening to live music, I really love this band. I really like Van Halen, but I'd never go listen to them live. People have told me that vocals hit off key and musicians not totally in-sync are part of the live experience, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. The Eagles are as perfect in concert as they are recorded, even 40+ years later. It amazes me that not only are they not given enough credit for this, some critics actually criticize them for it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Come on now lets stop exagerating. Eagles underated? Hall of famers. Biggest selling american band of all time. Sold out expensive concerts. I dont think they are anywhere near under rated.

You wanna know what underated is listen to the Smithereens work and then you will hit yourself in the head wondering why today they only can put a couple hundred people in a show at a time. Or many other examples. The eagles is not one of them they had many many hits off each album. You cant possibly expect everyone to like a band. If thats the case then every band can claim to be underated even the beatles.

But yea you wanna know what underrated is listen to the smithereens album Green Thiughts from 89 and try to figure out why this isnt a classic everyone knows.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

IMO, I don't think the band is underrated by the public. Yes - there are haters ... there will always be haters, but this band is one of the most commercially successful bands of all times and still has mass popularity. Many people do consider them to be America's greatest band and their record sales and ticket sales are evidence of that.

However, I do agree that they are underrated by the critics. As VA said, some of this is of their own doing. They were never ones to suck up to the critics, and were vilified for that back in the day. However, I think that has also changed some given the band's success since their resumption. But, I still don't believe the band gets the critical acclaim for their music or the credit for their cultural influence that they deserve.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

ITA with Dreamer. Most people love them ~ at least most people over 40. It's the critics or people who consider themselves 'high brow' that underrate the Eagles. They get blown off as a soulless corporate band who has completely sold out and doesn't put out true 'art.' A lot of people act like anything that is popular can't be truly artistic. I say, bull hockey! The Eagles are my favorite band because they put out incredible songs time and time again that move me to think, to dance, to feel. That's 'art' to me.
    ~Sara

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I don't know, when the documentary airs, Twitter is full of tweets from people that have 'totally forgotten' how much they loved the Eagles when they were younger. Mostly, yes, it's the critics and media. Some of the blogs, magazines, etc, they'll publish a list of top 10 this and top 50 that, and if the Eagles make the list, it's always HC and way down the list, and that's just Classic Rock. Talk about all of music and you seldom see their name. They have the best selling album. They sell out venues everywhere they go.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post

As someone who has problems listening to live music, I really love this band. I really like Van Halen, but I'd never go listen to them live. People have told me that vocals hit off key and musicians not totally in-sync are part of the live experience, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. The Eagles are as perfect in concert as they are recorded, even 40+ years later. It amazes me that not only are they not given enough credit for this, some critics actually criticize them for it.
    I totally know what you mean! I hate when bands sound so off live that you can't even keep up with the song! I like them as close to the real thing as possible too. I have never been able to see the real Eagles live but I did see a cover band and even they made it a point to sound spot-on with the actual albums!

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    Come on now lets stop exagerating. Eagles underated? Hall of famers. Biggest selling american band of all time. Sold out expensive concerts. I dont think they are anywhere near under rated.

You wanna know what underated is listen to the Smithereens work and then you will hit yourself in the head wondering why today they only can put a couple hundred people in a show at a time. Or many other examples. The eagles is not one of them they had many many hits off each album. You cant possibly expect everyone to like a band. If thats the case then every band can claim to be underated even the beatles.

But yea you wanna know what underrated is listen to the smithereens album Green Thiughts from 89 and try to figure out why this isnt a classic everyone knows.
    I'll check them out! I am not saying the Eagles were never classic enough or won enough awards or topped the charts enough, that stuff was all there but i'm talking about something closer to home. In my every day life and my experiences, they get a bad rap, and I never understood it. It's almost like they were the most overrated band as far as Hollywood and the media are concerned but when it comes to the average American on the street, the overall consensus that I get is they were either "just ok" or the person literally hated them.

One of the reasons the eagles probably have alot of haters is also bcause that old story that the eagles wanted to be a rock and roll band and even hired a new guitar man felder to do so and tried to portray themselves as such but then you go hear the albums and theres lots of ballads and country stuff. I like it but i imagine people buying hotel california thinking they are getting rockers like litfl and then they hear all these slowsongs like wasted time pretty maids gonna love again etc. And they were probably like wtf.

So i do think there is some of that. People tend to think the eagles are soft.