Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

There is a lot I could say about the way the guy has cherry picked what he thinks is good & what he thinks is bad, but I am not going to do that, I'm afraid.

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    One of the reasons the eagles probably have alot of haters is also bcause that old story that the eagles wanted to be a rock and roll band and even hired a new guitar man felder to do so and tried to portray themselves as such but then you go hear the albums and theres lots of ballads and country stuff. I like it but i imagine people buying hotel california thinking they are getting rockers like litfl and then they hear all these slowsongs like wasted time pretty maids gonna love again etc. And they were probably like wtf.

So i do think there is some of that. People tend to think the eagles are soft.
    That is what I hear from people a lot too, that they're too boring sounding. That is just plain wrong, AND you could also say that about almost any band if your experience with them is limited! I have a friend who hates Pink Floyd because they sound boring to her. I can only shake my head at the idea of a classic rock band with multiple albums having EVERY SINGLE SONG be slow and boring. People just need to actually listen to the band and not just the few songs that the radio overplays.

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
    I always roll my eyes when I hear grown adults talk about "selling out" What are you in high school?

Mick
    I never liked this term either. I just call it musical evolution. EVERY band grows and changes with their sound and the way they handle the business.

I've always thought it was sick logic that when a bad is successful, it must be because they've done something 'unartistic.' How about they're successful because they have terrific material?!
    ~Sara

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I've always thought it was sick logic that when a bad is successful, it must be because they've done something 'unartistic.' How about they're successful because they have terrific material?!
    AMEN!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree they are successful because they have terrific material and they work darn hard at their craft, still striving for absolute excellence.

I do think many of their songs are underrated, or perhaps underexposed would be a more accurate term? So many people have probably only heard the Greatest Hits Volume I &II stuff, and in my opinion a lot of their best work isn't included on those. (The entire Desperado album where listening start to finish adds so much more than just hearing the songs individually; Long Road Out of Eden which has some masterpieces).
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Here is a thread I created to show what I think is a REALLY underated band and why I dont think the Eagles should ever be categorized as underated as thats almost unfair to actual bands that are underated.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4190

Stuck on the Border

NB: The thread has been moved to the Singing For The Sake of the Song forum & renamed 'Smithereens'.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - I'm not sure why you want this thread moved to the Singing for the Sake of the Song forum. I think it belongs here. Please help me out if I'm missing something.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP - I'm not sure why you want this thread moved to the Singing for the Sake of the Song forum. I think it belongs here. Please help me out if I'm missing something.
    I was referring to a thread about another band which was created in Cheap Talk & Wine by OMNJ. I already moved it. I am not saying this thread I'm in now needs to be moved. I should have quoted OMNJ's post. I was just alerting people to it being in a different forum from where it was created. Although the link takes you to where it is now anyway so sorry for any confusion.