Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

Yeah - I was just coming back to edit my post because I thought I had solved the mystery.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree with a lot of the points here, but I'll add one more that goes back to the post that started the thread. I think part of the reason for the heavy criticism is that radio in the 70's "loved the boys too much.". The hits were overplayed to the point that some people never wanted to hear them again.

I'll admit I had the same reaction the first time someone played me the Hotel California album a few years after it came out. For the first 3 songs, it was "Ho hum. Heard this a million times already." Then Wasted Time played and I was stunned into silence. I've been a huge fan ever since. Even now, my favorite songs are the ones you never hear on the radio. It's the people who are willing to look beyond the hits who see the beauty of the music.

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    I agree with a lot of the points here, but I'll add one more that goes back to the post that started the thread. I think part of the reason for the heavy criticism is that radio in the 70's "loved the boys too much.". The hits were overplayed to the point that some people never wanted to hear them again.

I'll admit I had the same reaction the first time someone played me the Hotel California album a few years after it came out. For the first 3 songs, it was "Ho hum. Heard this a million times already." Then Wasted Time played and I was stunned into silence. I've been a huge fan ever since. Even now, my favorite songs are the ones you never hear on the radio. It's the people who are willing to look beyond the hits who see the beauty of the music.
    Very well said!! I am the same way, I never listen to the radio, willingly anyway. Most of the songs I like are hidden tracks most people barely know. I wasn't old enough to hear the Eagles on the radio when they came out, so I didn't hear the radio oversaturated with them. I just knew about them from my mom's records but I wasn't really into them that much at the time. I think you can always get into a band the proper way if you can do it on your own, discover them at your own speed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post

This is so true. When I have mentioned the documentary and tour to anyone I know who isn't a fan, I'm met with a patient, if bemused, "that's nice". They may as well pat me on the head . Most of my friends who are into rock think they are too "soft" or were totally overplayed. I want to make them sit down and listen to the albums to discover deeper cuts like Hollywood Waltz or James Dean or The Last Resort, etc... There are so many great songs on those albums that people have not heard. I agree with everyone who said they may not be underrated, but are (IMHO) certainly under-appreciated for the beauty of a lot of their music. The harmonies can just stun me sometimes, even having heard all the songs a ton of times.

I can't wait to see them again this Summer. I just wish more of my friends liked them, because I can't see too many of them agreeing to come with me to the shows. Which is too bad for them, as they are missing out.

It's funny deep cuts and Hollywood Waltz specifically was mentioned. I've converted a lot of people with that cut. Never judge until you've looked at the whgole picture.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
    It's funny deep cuts and Hollywood Waltz specifically was mentioned. I've converted a lot of people with that cut. Never judge until you've looked at the whgole picture.

Mick
    I LOVE Hollywood Waltz. That's one of my Top Five favorites.

I kind of have to be in the mood to appreciate "Hollywood Waltz" but it's definitely good. One song that I really adore that is often overlooked is "Ol' 55." Something about that song just transports me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Fan View Post
    I want to make them sit down and listen to the albums to discover deeper cuts like Hollywood Waltz or James Dean or The Last Resort, etc... There are so many great songs on those albums that people have not heard.
    I love Last Resort!! The main song for me that blows my mind it wasn't a single is Too Many Hands, just the message alone is so profound, and Randy's singing has never been better.

I agree with everyone who said they may not be underrated, but are (IMHO) certainly under-appreciated for the beauty of a lot of their music.
    That is a good way to put it! I also think their lyrics are under appreciated. So many lyrics that could have been carved in stone or written in holy books!

The harmonies can just stun me sometimes, even having heard all the songs a ton of times.
    YES!! I get chills every time they harmonize, even with the popular songs, even hearing them a few times a day! I love when music does that to you! I think the human voice is actually more beautiful than any instrument. I think what appeals to me most about this band is their vocals & lyrics more than anything.

I can't wait to see them again this Summer. I just wish more of my friends liked them, because I can't see too many of them agreeing to come with me to the shows. Which is too bad for them, as they are missing out.
    I feel the same way, I want to see them in Milwaukee in July but don't know anyone who would go with me! And it's a 5 hour drive so i'd like to go with somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I kind of have to be in the mood to appreciate "Hollywood Waltz" but it's definitely good. One song that I really adore that is often overlooked is "Ol' 55." Something about that song just transports me.
    I can't get into Hollywood Waltz but I plan on listening to all their songs again, that I don't have yet.

OMG Ol' 55!! I recently realized how amazing that song is, it's perfect for driving to! I've actually named my car "lady luck", and when i'm driving, I sing along really loud, "now the sun's coming up, ridin' with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks"

And the craziest thing happened today as I was driving listening to that song, right after that line, I saw a billboard that had the words "freeway" and "trucks" in it! oohhhh yeah!

I was driving some students for a field trip to New Orleans and I put on the Eagles. We left around 5 am and literally, when the dawn was coming, I said "The sun's comin' up" and a student replied "Yes it is." No lie, she had never heard the song before that day, but it just sprang to her lips after hearing the song in the background a couple hours earlier. Nice. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten