Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Thanks for sharing UTW!

It is an excellent interview. Linda is always so sweet & tender hearted in her interviews, always praising others. That is a slightly different version of the guys being picked to back her.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks UTW - I don't have time to read this in its entirety right now, but I did zoom in on the comments about the Eagles. Her recollection is quite different than the version Don and Glenn have always told though. I guess these folks just don't pay attention to details like we fans do when giving us the scoop!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Last year, Linda Ronstadt gave a tape-recorded interview for Public Radio--National Broadcasting-which was an hour long and explained her biographical past and her musical background and discussed her relationships and her singing.

The New York Times ran an article on Sunday, September 1, 2013 called "Like a Wheel, but Turning Slower" to interview Ms. Ronstadt and to mention and launch her new book "Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir."

I don't think the Eagles were mentioned, but the Linda Ronstadt interviews were insightful, valuable, interesting, and informative. Other artists and family members were briefly mentioned, or named.

She wishes she could sing, and recover.
    Last edited by Lisa; 05-04-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: dont want the words "in passing,"

Stuck on the Border

Linda admits to having a bad memory with events being condensed and dates a bit fuzzy. I prefer to think that all these people were having the same ideas around the same time and that's why it all came together. Bernie said that he heard that Glenn and Don were putting a band together and he approached John Boylan, so that's a third version.

I liked what Linda had to say about how supportive that crowd was of each other rather than being competitive.

I never knew Bonnie Raitt was John Raitt's daughter.

She did admit in the article to having a bad memory.
    I don’t know what I learned about myself doing the book. Thinking about it, I guess I learned that I have a terrible memory and that I often remember things where events are condensed and dates are very fuzzy to me. I’d remember someone dying five years before she did. They say they have been able to create false memories in mice.

I'm sorry I couldn't find the Eagles in the two really pithy interviews! It may be that they were implied with a number of other performers and acts--and not separately and specifically mentioned. It's hard to find the together moments, but it is possible to extrapolate different times, places, and faces from what someone says in an interview.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Glenn--the early years

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Just had a chance to watch this. Great find! I had never heard that story in the beginning about Don trying to sell a song he wrote to Linda. Learn something new about the Eagles origins all the time! Again, Glenn's memory never ceases to amaze.
    Also Glenn's reference to their first show with Randy being in Los Altos, not Disneyland as had been reported.

OT: I always sensed it was Don who was sweet on Linda!

Stuck on the Border

This is from a Clarence White message board. There's a bit more about Bernie, there, too.
    The earliest released Glenn Frey contribution on any of Linda's records appears to be on the single "(She's a) Very Lovely Woman" (Capitol 3021), Linda's interpretation of the Emitt Rhodes' song. This 1971 single was released first as the b-side to a song from an older album, before the sides were flipped. Capitol needed a follow-up to the hit, "Long, Long Time" and the upcoming album was no where near ready. According to staff at Muscle Shoals, Glenn was with Linda when she recorded it there. It wasn't included when the album was released the following year.
    And the song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za4mzQ3EqvU

This is probably the visit to Muscle Shoals where Glenn recorded the demos that convinced David Geffen that Glenn needed a band.