Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Glenn--the early years

The Eagles were the headliners at the Millennium shows as that article states. Browne & Ronstadt were 'special guests' which as I have said elsewhere for me means 'opening acts'. As far as I am aware the acts did not perform together.

Found this little diddy, hope you kids enjoy

http://www.lindaronstadt.com/files/1971club_snippet.mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The Eagles were the headliners at the Millennium shows as that article states. Browne & Ronstadt were 'special guests' which as I have said elsewhere for me means 'opening acts'. As far as I am aware the acts did not perform together.

If that's true, what a wasted opportunity. Considering all the times they performed together back in the day, I bet a lot of the audience hoped to see them come together for at least one song.

In the mythic "Missing Videos of YouTube Perfomances that Eagles II Took Down," I always wish the one where the Eagles, Jackson and Linda play "Take It Easy" together was still up. Think it was from a '74 show, the Don Kirschner show, though I think they performed it together several times at different shows. Linda on guitar!!

All I can find of evidence is this screenshot:

Love that video from "back in the day," Shaowland!

Stuck on the Border

We have an existing topic on Linda Ronstadt for anything not related to Glenn.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=843

Knew there was an interview about where he talks about sending her "After Hours:"

The West Australian, Oct. 17, 2012
    While the material comes from close to home, Frey was also inspired by the three jazz/pop albums Linda Ronstadt cut with late bandleader Nelson Riddle in the mid-80s.

He sent a copy of After Hours to Ronstadt, who replied with a note telling Frey she loved the record, in particular the cover of Newman's Same Girl. "Only Randy Newman could write a song about a young junkie hooker and her pimp and turn it into a tearjerker," Frey laughs.
    From from FemaleFirstUK:
    And then I started listening to more of this music the longer I stayed out in California and I loved the records that Linda Ronstadt made with Nelson Riddle back in the eighties, she made three albums with him, and they were just nearly perfect record.

Linda was a long time friend and I played in her band and then she helped me and Don find the other guys to play in The Eagles, so for three or four years we were very close. So I followed her career and she departed from making pop records and did some things that I thought were very brave and art driven, but with the Nelson Riddle records she really got me into those songs again.
    Last edited by AEW21; 06-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Cute articles AEW! Thanks for posting them.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AEW21 View Post
    If that's true, what a wasted opportunity. Considering all the times they performed together back in the day, I bet a lot of the audience hoped to see them come together for at least one song.

In the mythic "Missing Videos of YouTube Perfomances that Eagles II Took Down," I always wish the one where the Eagles, Jackson and Linda play "Take It Easy" together was still up. Think it was from a '74 show, the Don Kirschner show, though I think they performed it together several times at different shows. Linda on guitar!!

All I can find of evidence is this screenshot:

Love that video from "back in the day," Shaowland!

that Don Kirschner 1974 concert is in full here: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzU4MjMxOTY=.html
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

You can tell I have Glenn/Linda on the brain that whenever I hear "Rescue Me" on the radio, that I wish it was their version!

Thirsty & Hot--thanks for the link--loved seeing (most of) the entire concert. Wonder if for Japanese TV that they cut out banter/ intros, and trimmed other songs out... Some of my kinda/sorta Glenn/Linda moments are cut out--when he introduces her; when she looks at him to make sure he's coming in for the "Silver Threads..." chorus, and when she tuns and smiles at him at the end of "Desperado." (Though you can see them in the videos on Daily Motion...)

Not sure about Linda and Jackson's added on parts in Take It Easy--Would have preferred they each took a line or chorus maybe, or just beefed up the harmonies--the random "Take It Easy!" don't do it for me. . Do enjoy how Glenn is teasing them at the end of the sing, though. Cute.

Agreed about TIE "modification" - seems like they could have been a bit more creative in how they incorporated Jackson and Linda!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I agree--it's sort of like it was thrown together at the last minute. Love the motion of them all doing that song together, but it somehow doesn't gel for me. But like seeing them on stage together.

I think Glenn may have referenced Linda in a majority of the interviews he did for "After Hours." This one is cool because he talks about each song one by one in the slide show; Linda's mention is in the intro:
    Many of the songs on After Hours were played in Frey's house when he was growing up. The record is dedicated to his parents, both of whom are still alive, he happily reports ("God bless 'em"), and are fans of the new disc. “I’ve always loved this music and wanted to do something like this," Frey says, "probably since Linda Ronstadt did those records with Nelson Riddle in the ‘80s. Those albums are incredible – the arrangements are perfect, and Linda’s voice is exquisite. It’s taken me some years to get around to it, but I finally got busy and here we are."
    And this isn't Glenn/Linda-specific, but it's about the Eagles and that time as a whole, and the sexy appeal of the singer-songwriter "troubadour"

From 1985 Esquire :

"The songs that grew out of that period, 'Desperado, 'Don't Cry Now,' 'I Believe in You,' they all had an incredible yearning quality to them...."

"Really. Life was strange then," she says. "I was on the road all the time and I never knew where my toothbrush was and I'd have a friend for a week and then I'd never see them again because I'd be in a different part of the world. But more than anything, those songs of Neil Young have that quality to them. Like 'I Believe in You.' Randy Newman thinks Neil's one of the greatest American songwriters. His songs are hard to sing sometimes, but he really knows how to structure the chords. God, what a singer too. He's got it. I love Neil."

I think she still loves all those desperadoes in one way or another. Certainly she gets most rhapsodic when she's talking about them and their music.

"I knew a lot of guys like that around the Troubadour," she says. "They'd set up these impossible romantic ideals for themselves, and there was this kind of loner aspect to them. They were given to great striving for personal achievement, and there was something very romantic and poetic that I saw. My pals in the Eagles and J.D. Souther and Jackson Browne, they all were the desperadoes."
    Last edited by AEW21; 06-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.