Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Glenn--the early years

Long time, no post...

The doc makes it sound as if John Boylan, Linda's one-time manager, was the one who approached Glenn to join Linda's backing band, but in that book "Hotel California" and a recent JD Souther interview, make it sound as if it was in fact JD and Linda who asked Glenn on a night out to dinner...

J.D., to The New York Times , November, 2012:
    Some of your most well-known songs were written for the Eagles. You and Glenn Frey were longtime musical partners before he co-founded the band — is that what led to you writing with those guys?

A.
    Yeah. I met Don [Henley] through Glenn. Linda was my girlfriend then and she was always assembling odd combinations of people to back her, including me sometimes. Glenn and Don hit it off like a house afire — they’re both very ambitious, very talented guys. And they had a vision for a larger band. When Glenn and I broke up our little duo I just wanted to do what Jackson [Browne] was doing: I wanted to stay home by myself and write songs and get better at it. Linda was touring sporadically and she needed a backup band. One night we were all at a health food place in L.A. called the Nucleus Nuance – is that a ’70s name or what? I can remember being there with Linda and Glenn and trying to talk him into going on the road with her and putting a band together. It would solve everybody’s problems at once. And that’s the way it worked.

And this is Don, not Glenn, but I figured there can't be a "Linda and ...' in every guy's thread, so we'll shoehorn it in here. Sweet what good, close friends they all were for awhile...

From her 1980 Playboy interview:
    PLAYBOY: Would you rather not be famous?

RONSTADT: Well, it's hard to go to the market and buy chicken, but I'm glad people think I'm cool and I understand a little of what the fame thing does to you. Take the Eagles, who have been my friends through the years. If I don't see them for six months or so, I begin to think of them as stars. I'll think about calling them, and then I'll think, Oh, they're so busy, they're such big stars, they don't want to hear from me. I called Don Henley the other day and he was so sweet. But we had this very businesslike conversation; I hadn't talked to him in months and I was kind of nervous and he responded in a businesslike way. He called back and he said, "What was that all about? How have you been?" And he came over with a bag of figs and we had a great time. I mean, the last people who should be falling for one another's press hypes are us.
    I'd like to share figs with Don and Linda. Glenn can come, too

Everybody wants to take credit for starting the Eagles, eh? lol

I think JD turned Linda on to Glenn and vice versa, and then after Glenn met Don the idea of the band came up organically.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't really give a fig how it all started! I'm just glad it did!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Very impressed by your "fig" callback. Well played, my friend, well played.

Many moons, no post.

I had forgotten the Linda mentions in Eliot's book--mostly because it's a rather shitty book , but he does shed a lot of light on the loyalty and bonds between the Eagles and Linda. I'll have to look thru my copy and see that else I can find.
    From Tumblr:

From a Linda Interview in 1978, reprinted in Marc Eliot’s “To The Limit, Untold Stories of the Eagles,” pg. 177:
    One warm winter day in L.A., Glenn Frey was bombing around with the top down and Linda Ronstadt by his side. She loved to drive with him, anywhere and anytime, but especially on warm afternoons like this one. As usual, he was feeding the tape deck with custom-made cassettes of great rock and roll. “Glenn Frey is the best single source of material for singers. He’s got stacks and stacks of cassettes he’s made of all these different things. That afternoon I looked at him and went, ‘Remember when we used to sit around The Troubadour bar and go, Oh, it’s so horrible and I can’t get a record deal?’ We were so broke and so miserable and we’d feel sorry for ourselves and we were so precious about it. Then, all of a sudden, I looked at him and I went ‘Boy, life’s really tough. We’re going off to ski [in Colorado] with all this money in our pockets, we’re going to have a good time, and we’ve got great music on the tape player.’ Just then ‘Back in the USA’ came on and I went, ‘God, that would be a great song to sing. I think I’ll do that one.’”

Oh. that. is. AWESOME! Don't have that book so thanks for posting.
    What I wouldn't give to have been in the back seat.

What a nice little story! I love hearing about moments like that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I sorta thought they fell away from each other in the mid-70s, as both parties became astronomically famous and busy, so nice to see they were still bumming about in '78 yet. I like envisioning them just driving together all afternoon, listening to the golden oldies...flirting, whatever.

(And I just read closer--ski trips, too! Please, Linda, share some Glenn goodness in that upcoming bio of your's!)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I remember reading that article too a few years ago and thinking how sweet it was. I love hearing those informal anecdotes about Glenn and the other guys, makes them so human!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

How much do I LOVE this--from the press conference held during the Sundance London premiere of the doc--Glenn and Don talk Linda and their beginnings with her--such fondness and gratitude--and their opinions on why she's not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Both say lovely things for her and humorous yet honest criticisms against the RRHoF, but since it's Glenn's thread, we'll quote him:
    Linda should certainly be in just about every hall of fame that is possible for a woman of her talent. Aww...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OJ091RByY[/ame]

Have to say, though, Glenn's reaction to the reporter bringing up Linda's autobiography is interesting to me. He seems to be trying very hard to have a non-reaction , if that makes sense, at least to me. While Don at least pips up with "Not me" when asked if she spoke to any of them, Glenn says nada. It would have been easy enough for him to say "No" and the fact he doesn't makes me think did reminisce with her...or he didn't and he's afraid of what she might reveal.

Really, though, I think for awhile, pre-Eagles, she, Glenn and JD were quite the lil' trio, and I have to think JD has to be in there, and hence, so does Glenn...