Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt & Eagles

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt & Glenn--the early years

Yeah, according to Getty, it was an Eagles-sponsored event, and I assume she was on the Eagles team.

I swear there's a pic of her somewhere at an Eagles baseball game as well...
    Last edited by AEW21; 08-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.

She's so cute in that picture! I'll bet every Eagle wanted her!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I agree! That is such a cute photo of her!

I remember in the '70s, every guy wanted her & every girl wanted to look & be like her.

Wish someone would do a compendium of all those Eagles' sporting events/Rolling Stine baseball grudge matches--love to know all the lil' details!

Here's a collection of (I'm guessing) of quotes culled from magazine interviews over the years, Eagles-specific--

The Troubadour was like a café society. Everyone was in transition. No one was getting married, no one was having families, no one was having a particular connection, so our connection was the Troubadour. It was where everyone met, where everyone got to hear everyone else's act. It was where I made all my musical contacts, and found people who were sympathetic to the musical styles I wanted to explore.

We all used to sit in a corner of the Troubadour and dream. I remember one night, I was on my way to the bathroom, during a hootenanny, and this band, Shilo, starts doing my exact version of "Silver Threads and Golden Needles." I was flabbergasted.

We would all sit around motel rooms together, and they'd be working out harmonies. They were so good. When I heard them sing "Witchy Woman" in the living room of J.D. Souther's house, where I was living at the time, I knew the Eagles were going to make it.

The Eagles backed me up, but I was the one who was inconsistent onstage. I could do a real good show in one town, and the next night would be like the first time I'd ever gotten up onstage. I was never comfortable repeating what I'd done the night before.

But I got tougher being on the road with the Eagles. I walked differently, I became more foulmouthed. I mean, I swore so much I sounded like a truck driver. But that's the way it was. I was the only girl on the road so the boys always kind of took charge. They were working for me, and yet it always seemed like I was working for them.

I didn't even know about the tennis thing, much less have info on it! All I knew about were the baseball games.

Here's a small article about an earlier game that wasn't going so well for them: The Eagles Fail to Score.

There's lots of photos from that famous 1978 Rolling Stone game, but sadly the articles had to be taken down because of copyright concerns.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I know, it's sorta sad--they just didn't archive things back in 70s like we do now--Of course, they didn't have technology to do it, either! But I'm sure there were a lot of events like tennis thing or other PR events, interviews, etc., that are lost to memory and the sands of time. At least now with Twitter, Facebook, smartphones, etc., there's always some marker for a public event. No way a celeb tennis even now would only seemlingly have one photo to prove its existence!

(Maybe one of the guys has a cache of mildering photos of the tennis event in a shoebox somewhere? Or Irving!!)

Back to Linda--Ronstadt probard says this was taken of Linda at an Eagles vs. Crew softball game: (Whose crap is she carrying?)

I always assumed this was for some kind of charity marathon, but Glenn's top and shorts do match Linda's!

ETA: Wait, not they don't. They have different "Eagles" logos. Oh well!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't know why I just put this together, but I realized that in the doc, when they're showing footage of Linda, Glenn and Don together on stage at the Troubadour, she's singing a version of "Nightingale." I kept thinking that the lines "..the same thing that happens to everybody/Just happened to me..." sounded so familar to me, then it all clicked--it just sounds so different in this version, not merely because a female is sighing it, but just the beat and style to it is totally new. I really like it, but as far as I can tell, she never put it on an album.

A Linda fan board says the earliest she performed it was 1973,* but this footage shows that she and the guys were doing it in '71. Jackson must have written about this time or so, and Linda covered it in her touring show early on, then the Eagles liked it enough to put it on their first album. As far as I can tell, Jackson never formally released it either, but in this version on YT, I swear that Linda, Don and Glenn, are singing back up:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcYY-7AqOeo[/ame]

And here's a version with Linda, from '73:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyRVatbqHAA[/ame]

And to keep on track, caps of Glenn and Linda singing it (with Don popping up in back):

* Look, she was covering JD's "How Long" in her shows, too. Wonder if that was another one she, Don and Glenn sang together before the guys began working it into early Eagles' shows...

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    I agree! That is such a cute photo of her!

I remember in the '70s, every guy wanted her & every girl wanted to look & be like her.
    I STILL do!

Thanks for doing all of this research, AEW. I'm really enjoying it! I love Nightingale!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.