Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Eagles Song Survivor Game

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Former Eagles Song Survivor Game

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Okay – We are getting down to the wire in this game. As I said before, I am mystified by the order of finish of some of the songs in this game, although I can’t say I’m surprised. As I’ve said many times, there is no Eagles song that I don’t like, but, obviously, I think some are better than others no matter what criteria you use. I would love to hear some opinions about the appeal of Take the Devil because I’m at a loss in recognizing its merits compared to many other songs that were voted off sooner. To me, it is one of the weakest songs in the band’s catalog and there are so many songs in this game that are much better, IMHO.

As for the songs remaining in the game, Midnight Flyer is fun enough, but, for me, it is an average run-of-the-mill bluegrass song that wasn’t even written by the band. The song is no better than average vocally, lyrically, melodically, or musically. My Man has very poignant vocals, lyrics, music, and melody and, surprisingly, is Bernie’s only remaining song in the game. Try and Love Again may be repetitive at the end, but it doesn’t bother me because the wonderful melody, vocals, and music blend so well together. To me, it is a very underrated song because it is overshadowed on an album of consistently exceptional songs. If it were on most any other of the band’s albums, I believe it would be a standout. And as far as Take It To the Limit, it is simply incomparable. So, having said all this, I will urge others to join me in forming a coalition to vote off what I think is the weakest of the remaining songs ...

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.
    I agree with you. But you asked for opinions on Take The Devil so here are a couple of thoughts. I never used to like the song much either, but its dark & brooding quality has grown on me. The lyrics foreshadow songs like Good Day In Hell, One Of These Nights & even HC itself. The guitar work at the end is very climactic & strong. Compared with some of the really lightweight songs on that album like Earlybird & Nightingale, it has matured. It is certainly better than the throwaway (IMO) Midnight Flyer.

I may as well also say here that poignant though My Man is, Try & Love Again is (IMO) infinitely superior as a musical performance, despite the repetition at the end. TITTL is repetitive too and nobody criticises that. I love the guitar work in TALA, not just Glenn's lead work & I love the reflective lyrics & Randy's vocals. The others do some lovely harmonies in it as well.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-29-2013 at 12:28 AM.

My Man

The other three are my top 3.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm sticking with My Man. The other 3 are my top picks also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Okay – We are getting down to the wire in this game. As I said before, I am mystified by the order of finish of some of the songs in this game, although I can’t say I’m surprised. As I’ve said many times, there is no Eagles song that I don’t like, but, obviously, I think some are better than others no matter what criteria you use. I would love to hear some opinions about the appeal of Take the Devil because I’m at a loss in recognizing its merits compared to many other songs that were voted off sooner. To me, it is one of the weakest songs in the band’s catalog and there are so many songs in this game that are much better, IMHO.
    This is what I love about Take the Devil. Randy's voice is strong and amazing, for one, especially in the verses. The message of it is another big reason I love it.

Anyway, this round i'm voting for Midnight Flyer!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Oh my gosh! I really can't believe anyone is voting for TALA! As Fp said, the guitar work, vocals, and lyrics are awesome! It's my #2 and I just love it because it is very uplifting just plain gorgeous!

And how MF, a song the band didn't even write, can make it past some of the the ones they did like CKOF? That is a big factor for me.

I missed last round, but it wouldn't have mattered. Once again, I vote for Midnight Flyer.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I haven't been playing this game but has been watching a little. I've just been crazy busy for the past 2 weeks...
    I would like to join in & vote for the last few rounds, if that's Ok with you guys

That's fine, Topkat.

Several people here have been very eloquent about why they prefer TALA. To them, I say: I see your points, and you've almost made me feel guilty for preferring "Midnight Flyer"! But I do!

As for whether or not the Eagles wrote it, that didn't prevent "Already Gone" and "How Long" from doing well in their respective Survivors. Just food for thought.

Almost shamefacedly...

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

My vote goes to MY MAN

My Man gets my vote too.
    Melanie

My vote goes to My Man
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.