Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF??

Default Re: WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    For me in general, the music has always been more important than the words. If I don't like the melody, I won't even listen to the song. Just sayin'.
    funny you should mention this Springbo..I was thinking about this exact thing the other day...and was thinking of starting a thread about it...I'm with you about the music!

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    For me in general, the music has always been more important than the words. If I don't like the melody, I won't even listen to the song. Just sayin'.
    Same here.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I'm glad to hear different opinions. For myself, I talk it all with a grain of salt. Glenn and Don are not evil incarnate and they are not unethical. There was a reason it happened and probably a good one.
    I certainly don't think Glenn and Don are evil incarnate. To be sure, they are great musicians. They're responsible for writing and performing (together, independently, or in collaboration with other musicians) some of my favorite music. And, of course, there are millions of others who share this opinion (including most people on this board).

But, at the same time, I try not to let my admiration of their musical talents cloud my objectivity when considering the facts as they are. There is good evidence to suggest that one or, more likely, both of them switched the order of the writing credits so as to minimize Felder's contribution. Perhaps they felt justified in doing it for one reason or another. But, unless they got Felder's approval before doing it (which certainly does not appear to be the case), I think most disinterested people would agree this amounts to an unethical act. Under other circumstances, it's the kind of action that could well result in a lawsuit. Certainly, it's not something you do to a fellow band member whom you respect.

Of course, one unethical act does not necessarily make a person unethical. Life, for most of us, is an exercise in managing our regrets. But, at the same time, how much do we really know about the personal lives of all these rock stars whom we admire? Do we expect that, because they write great music, they also drive under the speed limit and don't cheat at solitaire?

Irving Azoff had an interesting quote from the documentary - something along the lines of: show me a person responsible for managing musicians who's made a lot of friends and I'll show you somebody who hasn't done a good job representing his/her clients.

Do we expect Irving has never told a lie? I'd be willing to bet he's told more than his fair share. Probably, many were strategic and ultimately benefited the people whom he was representing. Those same disinterested people from above would likely label these actions unethical. But, then again, Irving has a net worth well beyond anything most of us will ever achieve. So, his talents in this regard have served him well...

I find it hard to believe that Felder didn't find out that the credits were rearranged until just before the Probst show nearly twenty years later, but if it really took him that long, then shame on him for not checking something that is obviously held in high regard amongst musicians (it obviously is, I just can't figure out why).

Since I can't believe he didn't notice until a few months ago, the fact that it's not in his book tells me he knows what the reason is and is OK with it. He could have made it part of the lawsuit, yet he didn't. Maybe he was just over it, but then got 'unover it' a few months ago.
    I didn't mean to suggest that Felder noticed the difference just before the Probst show. And, in fact, he definitely does make mention of the rearranged credits on HFO's Hotel California in his book. His various descriptions suggest that he only became aware of the change after the release, i.e. after it was already done.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Turf, you have a very nice reply there. I would like to say that some of my comments weren't directed at you, per se. I've seen a lot of comments here and elsewhere that specifically refer to Glenn and Don as being a lot of really bad things.

I like your comment that one unethical act doesn't make a person unethical overall. BTW, computer games have taken away the ability to cheat at solitaire! Of course, it works in both directions, I've seen a lot of comments about Felder that paint his character a certain color due to a few things that may or may not have been taken out of context.

For the most part, my issue with the Probst show was why he was on such a show to begin with. He has a lot going for him and has no need to go on a show whose business is to sensationalize and dramatize. Leave it for the daytime soap stars and the moms who can't handle their families, and stick to reputable places. In the past, I always felt a little sorry for the people that ended up on these kinds of shows, so I was horrified when that announcement dropped into my newsfeed.

I try not to place unrealistic expectations on our guys. Unless they cheat and sit down, they're men who put their pants on one leg at a time just like all other men. Great talent and drive (and good looks!) don't make a person super-human. On the other hand, given what we're subjected to today in the world of popular music, I have the utmost respect and admiration for our guys. They've made mistakes, but overall, I think they've handled the fame, success, and adoration of fans very well.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

VA, I don't see what the problem is with him going on Jeff Probst Show. It's a talk show, like many others on tv these days. I don't think it is one prone to scandal & sensationalism...It was an interview, like many others he's done. I guess he is still promoting his album & touring. I don't think he's looking for any sensational publicity....Maybe some of you think this is rather low or tacky, but I really don't think so. JMO...

As for the credit rearrangement. I think I have already voiced my opinion on that, but I do think it was both wrong & unethical. Whatever "excuse" or reason given for it, some have rationalized it for whatever reasons...I can't explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    VA, I don't see what the problem is with him going on Jeff Probst Show. It's a talk show, like many others on tv these days.
    That's pretty much the problem I have with it. You summed it up quite nicely.

ETA: I just did a quick search. On tap this week is:
    Sexy Secrets of a Professional 'Wing Girl'. Classy.
    Moms on Strike. Seriously?
    Days of our Lives' Sexiest Stars Tell All. Serious journalism there.

The other two days are Vivica Fox and then Jillian Michaels & Marissa Janet Winokur. Since I've not heard of any of them I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on those (Vivica looks familiar, though)
    VK

I've never heard of that Jeff Probst or his show...???...maybe I don't get it here??

That's pretty much the problem I have with it. You summed it up quite nicely.

ETA: I just did a quick search. On tap this week is:
    Sexy Secrets of a Professional 'Wing Girl'. Classy.
    Moms on Strike. Seriously?
    Days of our Lives' Sexiest Stars Tell All. Serious journalism there.

The other two days are Vivica Fox and then Jillian Michaels & Marissa Janet Winokur. Since I've not heard of any of them I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on those (Vivica looks familiar, though)
    I work during the day, so I have only seen the show once. Jillian Michaels is a fitness instructor. She was a trainer on that show "The Biggest Loser" weight loss show.
    Vivica Fox is an actress. Not sure what she has been in, but she is probably pushing a movie she is in.

None of these shows are serious journalism, & they usually have a variety of guests with various topics. This is the norm these days, I guess. Not sure what you were expecting???

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'll probably regret this BUT, you all know it never stops me------ Why is Don F going on this show worse than when, let's say, Joe went on the Howard Stern show? I mean, Howard has a pretty good reputation for having a lot of sleaze on his show also. Personally, I love Howard Stern and have never seen Jeff Probst's show but if we are basing his appearance on the show as bad because of the guest Jeff has on his show, it seems Howard probably tops him in that category and I don't remember a backlash when Joe was on there. I really liked that interview. Inquiring minds......
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I'll probably regret this BUT, you all know it never stops me------ Why is Don F going on this show worse than when, let's say, Joe went on the Howard Stern show? I mean, Howard has a pretty good reputation for having a lot of sleaze on his show also. Personally, I love Howard Stern and have never seen Jeff Probst's show but if we are basing his appearance on the show as bad because of the guest Jeff has on his show, it seems Howard probably tops him in that category and I don't remember a backlash when Joe was on there. I really liked that interview. Inquiring minds......
    You are absolutely right, TBF. If this is your opinion when you like Howard Stern, you can imagine what someone who doesn't like the man at all thinks. Like me. I did not listen to that interview, and I won't. I believe I did mention at the time that I wasn't happy with it, but it was part of a media blitz and not even the only interview Joe did that day, so it got lost in the shuffle, for which I was grateful.
    VK