Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WTF??

Default Re: WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    You are absolutely right, TBF. If this is your opinion when you like Howard Stern, you can imagine what someone who doesn't like the man at all thinks. Like me. I did not listen to that interview, and I won't. I believe I did mention at the time that I wasn't happy with it, but it was part of a media blitz and not even the only interview Joe did that day, so it got lost in the shuffle, for which I was grateful.
    As I recall, this was a 1 hour interview with Stern, not a typical 2-5 minute interview with the same old questions that everyone was asking. It didn't get lost in the media shuffle as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I thought it was good, because Stern went into areas other interviewers dared not go...It was worth listening to. Joe has known Stern for years, so it was much more personal. Loved that interview.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Well, to put in perspective, you all know how much I like Glenn (understatement of the year). If he went on the Howard Stern show, I wouldn't listen to that, either. In fact, I send SiriusXM emails every three months complaining that the Sirius radio in my car gets Howard Stern but not baseball or hockey (which I get on the XM radio in the house).

My first and only exposure to him was two days after the Air Florida jet took off from National and crashed into the 14th street bridge, killing a lot of passengers, motorists on the bridge, and people who tried to rescue passengers by jumping into icy water. He called Air Florida and asked how much they charge for a flight from National to the 14th street bridge, and he was on a DC radio station (DC101). He lost a lot of fans that day. If I remember right, he was taken off the air before his shift was even over.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

FYI, Jeff Probst is the host of Survivor. I have watched his show a few times and I didn't think that it was that trashy. On one of the episodes I saw Valerie Harper (Rhoda) did her first interview to speak about her diagnosis of inoperable brain cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    FYI, Jeff Probst is the host of Survivor. I have watched his show a few times and I didn't think that it was that trashy. On one of the episodes I saw Valerie Harper (Rhoda) did her first interview to speak about her diagnosis of inoperable brain cancer.
    I know him from Survivor. Knowing what I know of him, I didn't think the show would be trashy.... I just don't have the opportunity to watch it since it's on while I'm at work...I mean if any of the guys would do a talk show, this would be fine. I guess most of the guests are either actors, or musicians. I would guess nothing political, but that's fine. There are plenty of other shows for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    As I recall, this was a 1 hour interview with Stern, not a typical 2-5 minute interview with the same old questions that everyone was asking. It didn't get lost in the media shuffle as far as I'm concerned. Actually, I thought it was good, because Stern went into areas other interviewers dared not go...It was worth listening to. Joe has known Stern for years, so it was much more personal. Loved that interview.
    Just as a point of interest, here is the link to the Howard Stern interview. I had posted it recently in the Discussion of Eagles Documentary thread when we were discussing whether Joe always speaks as slowly as he does in the doc. I thought it was very worth listening to as well, even though I'm not a fan of Stern.

http://youtu.be/M0nIbMGocfk?t=41m42s

I think the "backlash" is that while the other guys do go on similar shows or whatever, they don't go on there to b#$% about the other guys and the bad times. They go on there to promote the band, whatever projects they have going on or to talk about those early years.

....so yeah

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post, but there are a lot of topics being discussed here that I wanted to comment about.

My previous response in this thread was about the original topic - the interview that Felder did with Jeff Probst. I stand by my comments that the interview was very misleading and negative. Compare this interview with the one just recently posted in the Felder interview thread. To me, it is an entirely different tone. For me personally, I don’t necessarily care what shows any of the guys choose to appear on - I care more about what they have to say on them. Obviously, some interviewers are much more sensational than others, but my problem is that, in this case, Felder took the bait. It’s been a while since I listened to Joe’s interview with Howard Stern, but I do remember some of us criticized some of the things he did/said in the interview. The one thing that I do remember well is that I especially thought it was a bad choice for Joe to sing Desperado when he was, obviously, blitzed. However, for the most part, I enjoyed Joe’s interview primarily because he did a good job of not letting the ‘shock jock’ bait him.

Now, with regard to some of the other discussion that has come up here, I do believe that listing of credits is important for artists and I also believe that artists are ultimately responsible for what is listed on any officially released band publication. I also think we have to acknowledge that while we have bits and pieces of information from both sides about the Hotel California HFO credits, my belief is that it is unwise and unfair to declare it as an unethical act on anyone’s part since we aren’t privy to all of the facts. In the other known case where the credits are published incorrectly on an official release, which is the recent History of the Eagles DVD, we know that was in error. Should it have happened – absolutely not and I do think the band is ultimately accountable for that unfortunate mistake – but it was, in fact, a mistake rather than a deliberate dishonest act. Again, while I don’t think that absolves the band of culpability for negligence, it is hardly unethical. I am not blindly defending anyone’s actions, but at the same time, I’m not going to accuse anyone of being unethical when I don’t know the whole story. For me, it all boils down to intent. In the HFO case, we don't fully know what all of the reasons were for the change. In the case of the History of the Eagles DVD, it is obvious that there was no purposeful intent to change the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Turf
    The music I'm referring to is this book, which was published in 2006 or 2007.
    As far as this songbook that Turf mentioned – I think that is a whole ‘nother matter altogether. I don’t believe that was an officially released publication by the band, and, again, we have no knowledge whatsoever to make any kind of judgment as to why the credits are incorrect. I am not a legal expert on copyright law either, but I doubt if the band ultimately bears any legal responsibility for this error as unfortunate as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Turf
    I'm trying to imagine what the reaction would be like if the credit order had been Henely, Frey, and Felder and then Felder had somehow conspired to rearrange the order to Felder, Henley, and Frey. Would people be saying Henley and Frey should just "get over it?" I kinda doubt it.
    Speaking for myself, I would feel exactly the same as I stated above if this happened – I would need to know the facts before I felt qualified to pass judgment. However, I can safely say it is very doubtful that I would still be dwelling on it 20 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia
    The fact that the credits get messed with at all is just bizarre - this doesn't happen with the Beatles or Rolling Stones songs, especially songs that are really successful and well-known. Or...maybe it does and we've just never noticed it. Just an Eagles anomaly.
    Hardly an Eagles anomaly, MC. I believe there have been ongoing disputes between Sir Paul and Yoko Ono about the order of songwriting credits on Beatles songs and there have been many other disputes in other bands regarding similar issues.

I would also have to take issue with claims that Felder is the main songwriter of Hotel California. I believe it is very subjective, but I’m one who happens to think the lyrics, melody, and arrangement of the song are, at least, as equally significant as the music. It is obvious that Felder originated the song, and it is my understanding that this is the reason that the band agreed to list him first on the credits.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It’s been a while since I listened to Joe’s interview with Howard Stern, but I do remember some of us criticized some of the things he did/said in the interview. The one thing that I do remember well is that I especially thought it was a bad choice for Joe to sing Desperado when he was, obviously, blitzed. However, for the most part, I enjoyed Joe’s interview primarily because he did a good job of not letting the ‘shock jock’ bait him.
    The interview that I posted wasn't the one where Joe sang Desperado. It was from 2012 when he was promoting Analog Man. I heard him sing Desperado in the interview when he was blitzed & I totally agree with you that he should not have sung it!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for pointing that out to me, GL. I had actually totally forgotten about Joe doing the Howard Stern show to promote Analog Man. Obviously, I'm going to have to listen to it again to refresh my memory.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

And I've posted the video of the same show in Joe's videos thread. GL's is the audio.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.