Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: WTF??

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, I apologize for the length of this post, but there are a lot of topics being discussed here that I wanted to comment about.

My previous response in this thread was about the original topic - the interview that Felder did with Jeff Probst. I stand by my comments that the interview was very misleading and negative. Compare this interview with the one just recently posted in the Felder interview thread. To me, it is an entirely different tone. For me personally, I don’t necessarily care what shows any of the guys choose to appear on - I care more about what they have to say on them. Obviously, some interviewers are much more sensational than others, but my problem is that, in this case, Felder took the bait. It’s been a while since I listened to Joe’s interview with Howard Stern, but I do remember some of us criticized some of the things he did/said in the interview. The one thing that I do remember well is that I especially thought it was a bad choice for Joe to sing Desperado when he was, obviously, blitzed. However, for the most part, I enjoyed Joe’s interview primarily because he did a good job of not letting the ‘shock jock’ bait him.

Now, with regard to some of the other discussion that has come up here, I do believe that listing of credits is important for artists and I also believe that artists are ultimately responsible for what is listed on any officially released band publication. I also think we have to acknowledge that while we have bits and pieces of information from both sides about the Hotel California HFO credits, my belief is that it is unwise and unfair to declare it as an unethical act on anyone’s part since we aren’t privy to all of the facts. In the other known case where the credits are published incorrectly on an official release, which is the recent History of the Eagles DVD, we know that was in error. Should it have happened – absolutely not and I do think the band is ultimately accountable for that unfortunate mistake – but it was, in fact, a mistake rather than a deliberate dishonest act. Again, while I don’t think that absolves the band of culpability for negligence, it is hardly unethical. I am not blindly defending anyone’s actions, but at the same time, I’m not going to accuse anyone of being unethical when I don’t know the whole story. For me, it all boils down to intent. In the HFO case, we don't fully know what all of the reasons were for the change. In the case of the History of the Eagles DVD, it is obvious that there was no purposeful intent to change the credits.

As far as this songbook that Turf mentioned – I think that is a whole ‘nother matter altogether. I don’t believe that was an officially released publication by the band, and, again, we have no knowledge whatsoever to make any kind of judgment as to why the credits are incorrect. I am not a legal expert on copyright law either, but I doubt if the band ultimately bears any legal responsibility for this error as unfortunate as it is.

Speaking for myself, I would feel exactly the same as I stated above if this happened – I would need to know the facts before I felt qualified to pass judgment. However, I can safely say it is very doubtful that I would still be dwelling on it 20 years later.

Hardly an Eagles anomaly, MC. I believe there have been ongoing disputes between Sir Paul and Yoko Ono about the order of songwriting credits on Beatles songs and there have been many other disputes in other bands regarding similar issues.

I would also have to take issue with claims that Felder is the main songwriter of Hotel California. I believe it is very subjective, but I’m one who happens to think the lyrics, melody, and arrangement of the song are, at least, as equally significant as the music. It is obvious that Felder originated the song, and it is my understanding that this is the reason that the band agreed to list him first on the credits.
    Yes, there is a lot of litigation surrounding songwriting credits. My point is that I would put the song Hotel California in a category with Satisfaction or Hey Jude - one of the most famous songs in pop music history by one of the most famous bands. That's why it is surprising when the credits change, subsequent to original publication, in varying media. That is why it gets noticed by fans of the members of the band. That is why fans ascribe intentions to those who are in charge of the band, rightly or wrongly. If the credits to Can't Buy Me Love suddenly showed up in an official publication as "George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney", people would wonder what the heck happened. When a band has as much well-known internal strife as the Eagles, its not surprising that fans question motivations when the "out" member of the band loses the lead credit on his most famous song. [Yes, I am aware that it is not "his" song - you know what I mean.]

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    As far as this songbook that Turf mentioned – I think that is a whole ‘nother matter altogether. I don’t believe that was an officially released publication by the band, and, again, we have no knowledge whatsoever to make any kind of judgment as to why the credits are incorrect. I am not a legal expert on copyright law either, but I doubt if the band ultimately bears any legal responsibility for this error as unfortunate as it is.
    I'm fairly certain I'm not going to convince you of anything. That's fine. For the sake of the argument's completeness, here are some more data points. I went back and looked at my guitar magazines. I have two additional transcriptions of Hotel California. So, including HFO and the other song book, here are the dates, publications, and credit orders:

• 1991 - Guitar World June - Original
    • ====================
    • 1994 - Hell Freezes Over - Modified
    • 2002 - Guitar World July - Modified
    • 2006 - Song book - Modified

In my estimation, Henley and Frey calculated that few people would notice, believe, or care if they reneged on their agreement with Felder and took primary credit for what is considered by many to be the second-most famous song in Classic-Rock history (behind only Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven). Sadly, IMO, I think they were right.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    I'm fairly certain I'm not going to convince you of anything. That's fine. For the sake of the argument's completeness, here are some more data points. I went back and looked at my guitar magazines. I have two additional transcriptions of Hotel California. So, including HFO and the other song book, here are the dates, publications, and credit orders:

• 1991 - Guitar World June - Original
    • ====================
    • 1994 - Hell Freezes Over - Modified
    • 2002 - Guitar World July - Modified
    • 2006 - Song book - Modified
    In my estimation, Henley and Frey calculated that few people would notice, believe, or care if they reneged on their agreement with Felder and took primary credit for what is considered by many to be the second-most famous song in Classic-Rock history (behind only Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven). Sadly, IMO, I think they were right.
    These songbooks or entries in Guitar World are not official Eagles products. I suppose you will say that when permission was granted for the songs to be printed it was specified that the credits read Henley/Frey/Felder. Unless you can give proof of that, I think it is unfair to blame them for the credits being changed on something they did not authorise.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    The order of songwriting credits is extremely important. It is a huge deal, it is their livelihood, especially for the lesser-paid members of the band.
    The person whose name goes first doesn't automatically get paid more. The order of names doesn't affect anyone's "livelihood" one way or the other. Rather, it's a matter of pride. It's not about money; it's about ego.

Not that ego is inconsequential - as has been mentioned before, Yoko Ono got upset when Paul McCartney tried to put his name first on some of the songs he and John Lennon wrote together. She felt that it lessened Lennon somehow, even though there was no financial consequence and Paul actually did write the lion's share of the songs he wanted changed. She thought it didn't matter whether or not Paul contributed more than Lennon on that particular song; in her mind (and the mind of many Beatles fans) Lennon's name should always go first because that was how it was originally.

Obviously, there are no hard-and-fast rules, or it never would have been an option for Paul to change them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-Sir-Paul.html

It is true that in general, nobody outside of songwriters and hardcores cares about these things, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. It just means that not everybody is going to obsess about matching the order of the names up every time because they don't see it as a big deal, so mistakes happen. That's why I didn't bother with matching up the order on my sites - I didn't think it was a big deal either when I made the sites a few years ago. If I had known then what a federal case it would become to some, I would have made a different choice for sure! However, I have already apologized for that elsewhere, so I won't get into it again here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Here's what I don't get. At all! If it's so freaking important, why does the Songwriters Hall of Fame have them listed differently?

Here's the list of Glenn's songs. You can see that like on the albums, Don is before Glenn. Jack and JD are before Glenn.

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org.../detailed/C129

Here's the list of Don's songs. Danny is listed before Don. Glenn is listed before Don.

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org.../detailed/C127

Just on the first pages, compare After The Thrill is Gone and you'll see what I mean. Don't you think, if it were truly something that was intended to be written in stone and never changed and mean something truly worthwhile the SONGWRITERS Hall of Fame would be the first to make sure the credits were the way they were supposed to be? I mean, other than what's actually on the albums, this is what will go down in history. Not songbooks, not magazine articles, not even DVDs of live music, certainly not discussions of it on fan forums. If it were so sacrosanct, my feelings are that the SWHOF wouldn't have them different than what's on the albums.

The flipside of that, if it really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things, why were they changed to begin with?

As a point of interest, I don't see Lennon in the list, but you can get to his list by going through McCartney's. Those lists both list Lennon first. I looked through Barry, Maurice, and Robin Gibbs' list, Barry's listed first on nearly everything. So it seems Glenn and Don are in the minority when it comes to changing songwriting credits to put themselves last (if 2 out of 7 is a real minority, I didn't look further).

Another major point of interest (and could explain the switch in credits...or not) is that Cass County is listed #1 as publisher in both lists. Red Cloud as #2, and Fingers as #3.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    These songbooks or entries in Guitar World are not official Eagles products. I suppose you will say that when permission was granted for the songs to be printed it was specified that the credits read Henley/Frey/Felder. Unless you can give proof of that, I think it is unfair to blame them for the credits being changed on something they did not authorise.
    If you see my post above, the Publishers are listed as Cass County (Henley), Red Cloud (Glenn), and Fingers (Felder), which since these songbooks presumably have to pay to use the material, they could easily assume the order of publishers is the same as the writing credits. This is a publisher listing in SWHOF. I'm not sure where else the publishers are listed to see what's elsewhere?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

My two cents about credits, on The Beatles Please Please Me album the credits are listed as "McCartney - Lennon". The order of the names doesn't matter. If you look at the songwriting credits of Coldplay and blur, the names in the credits are listed in alphabetical order. I believe they are that way with U2 as well, though I could be wrong. Same with The National and The Sounds, all in alphabetical order.

With the Eagles it's all about egos. Whoever wrote the bulk of the song had to be listed first. But no one got paid more for being listed first.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    My two cents about credits, on The Beatles Please Please Me album the credits are listed as "McCartney - Lennon". The order of the names doesn't matter. If you look at the songwriting credits of Coldplay and blur, the names in the credits are listed in alphabetical order. I believe they are that way with U2 as well, though I could be wrong. Same with The National and The Sounds, all in alphabetical order.

With the Eagles it's all about egos. Whoever wrote the bulk of the song had to be listed first. But no one got paid more for being listed first.
    I must disagree, because if that were the case there would be at least a couple of songs which were credited Frey/Henley. I saw that credit once on a copy of Hole In The World (not my copy) & it also occurs for What Do I Do With My Heart. Those are the only times I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I must disagree, because if that were the case there would be at least a couple of songs which were credited Frey/Henley. I saw that credit once on a copy of Hole In The World (not my copy) & it also occurs for What Do I Do With My Heart. Those are the only times I've seen it.
    It's weird with the Eagles. Shouldn't "Tequila Sunrise" be credited Frey/Henley? In the doc, Glenn says he came up with the riff and presented it to Don...aaaaaahhhhhh lol.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    It's weird with the Eagles. Shouldn't "Tequila Sunrise" be credited Frey/Henley? In the doc, Glenn says he came up with the riff and presented it to Don...aaaaaahhhhhh lol.
    Well, it isn't. I wish I could present this to all the people who rant about Glenn Frey's colossal ego.