Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: WTF??

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: WTF??

Well – As I said before, I would agree that the songwriting credits are important enough so that they should get them right on any officially published materials that the band releases. Per an agreement between the two of them, Henley was always listed before Frey simply because they thought Henley/Frey sounded better than Frey/Henley. With regard to the songwriting credits for other members in the band, I guess it was more subjective as to how they were listed. However, as I also said, IMO, they should not be legally or morally accountable for material that they did not officially release.

I understand that if a conflict arises between members of the band, it is natural fodder for discussion among fans. I don’t have any problem with fans speculating about various situations that occur, but I do believe it is very unfair to accuse anyone of being dishonest, immoral, unethical, etc. if you aren’t privy to all of the facts. If I remember correctly, even Felder stops short of that.

For the record, here is the history of how the Hotel California writing credits are listed on all the band’s officially released recordings …

Hotel California – Felder, Henley, Frey (1976)
    Eagles Live - Felder, Henley, Frey (1980)
    Greatest Hits, Volume 2 - Felder, Henley, Frey (1982)
    Hell Freezes Over – Henley, Frey, Felder (1994)
    1972 – 1999: Selected Works - Felder, Henley, Frey (2000)
    The Very Best of the Eagles - Felder, Henley, Frey (2003)

So it seems to me if Henley and Frey calculated to take primary credit for the song, they would have done this on all of the official recordings where it would be very obvious. I’m lost on why they would do this so only a few people would notice. That just doesn't seem logical to me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It seems the writing credits have also changed on ICTYW.
    On The Long Run, credits listed as Timothy B Schmit, Don Henley, Glenn Frey
    On Hell Freezes Over, credits, listed as Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B Schmit...
    Everyone knows that Tim brought that song it. It's been mentioned numerous times...So why switch around the credits on HFO????

To me this is all so obvious. I don't see how anyone can see this as anything but a power play...To lessen the importance of the roles of both Timothy & Felder...
    It was noticed by everyone as soon as the album came out & comments were made about it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    It seems the writing credits have also changed on ICTYW.
    On The Long Run, credits listed as Timothy B Schmit, Don Henley, Glenn Frey
    On Hell Freezes Over, credits, listed as Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B Schmit...
    Everyone knows that Tim brought that song it. It's been mentioned numerous times...So why switch around the credits on HFO????

To me this is all so obvious. I don't see how anyone can see this as anything but a power play...To lessen the importance of the roles of both Timothy & Felder...
    It was noticed by everyone as soon as the album came out & comments were made about it.
    You say 'everyone'. I never noticed it. I can't recall any discussion of it, ever, until now. And again, isn't HFO the only time this happened? I just looked up Very Best of which is Schmit/Henley/Frey. On Selected Works it is Schmit/Henley/Frey & I have no doubt that on Farewell One it is the same.

VA said something in an earlier post about Cass County Music being listed first. Perhaps it was just to align with that. That is also the case with the HFO Hotel California credit.

I don't know why people have to always attribute sinister motives to everything done by Frey & Henley or everything done in Frey & Henley's names.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-09-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You say 'everyone'. I never noticed it. I can't recall any discussion of it, ever, until now. And again, isn't HFO the only time this happened? I just looked up Very Best of which is Schmit/Henley/Frey. On Selected Works it is Schmit/Henley/Frey & I have no doubt that on Farewell One it is the same.

VA said something in an earlier post about Cass County Music being listed first. Perhaps it was just to align with that. That is also the case with the HFO Hotel California credit.

I don't know why people have to always attribute sinister motives to everything done by Frey & Henley or everything done in Frey & Henley's names.
    If you read it, you had to notice it...I had heard lots of comments about it, (not on this board) This was in 1994.....Some people do read the credits, & it was noticed. As for Cass County Music being mentioned first? Well, that was also changed...What reason is there to change them after so many years?
    It's been done, so it is what it is, but it just seems wrong to lessen the importance of someone after so many years. I am not the only one who feels that way.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    If you read it, you had to notice it...I had heard lots of comments about it, (not on this board) This was in 1994.....Some people do read the credits, & it was noticed. As for Cass County Music being mentioned first? Well, that was also changed...What reason is there to change them after so many years?
    It's been done, so it is what it is, but it just seems wrong to lessen the importance of someone after so many years. I am not the only one who feels that way.
    I hate to break it to you, but I repeat, I never noticed it.

I think the term 'lessining the importance of someone' is extremely emotive and fraught with difficulty in assiging motive & intent. That is all I will say about it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Darn. I forgot. Glenn and Don are evil. Now it all makes sense.

I guess what I can't wrap my little blonde head around is how changing the order of credits on one or two songs on one album when the song(s) appear on many albums give either Glenn or Don more 'power'. The 2% of people that actually read the songwriting credits on a CD or MP3 player aren't going to make a difference in anything. Before joining this board, I'd only ever met one person who looked at songwriting credits, he was a musician, and he told me they were done in alphabetical order, so obviously he doesn't really count. If those 2% actually walk away from HFO thinking that either Timothy or Felder are less important than they were in 1975 and 1979, then they are the ones with the problem.

Until and if we ever know why it was done, we're the ones making them 'less important'.

I fail to see it's obvious it's a power play when it made no difference in the 'power' before or after. As a power play, it was a rather pathetic effort, especially when they didn't follow through on the following releases.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 06-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I'm not saying anyone is evil or has sinister motives...but I don't like the idea of the writing credits being changed on ICTYW...I don't know whose fault it is or how it happened...I don't like it...He's my favorite...obviously...so I'm a little over sensitive where he's concerned...but this just should not happen...
    Does it matter really to any of us?...no...but to me it's a respect thing...just sayin'

It's too bad we couldn't have sent Soda in with a list of questions for Jack Tempchin when she recently saw him. This would have been a good one for him! (Not whether Glenn and Don purposely changed writing credits, but how it works.)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I'm not saying anyone is evil or has sinister motives...but I don't like the idea of the writing credits being changed on ICTYW...I don't know whose fault it is or how it happened...I don't like it...He's my favorite...obviously...so I'm a little over sensitive where he's concerned...but this just should not happen...
    Does it matter really to any of us?...no...but to me it's a respect thing...just sayin'
    I can see why, Z, and I'm well aware there are plenty here who would be outraged if it happened to another's songs. Even are outraged because Henley is always listed before Frey. All I'm trying to say is that we don't know the reasons it happened or the logic behind it, assuming there was any. So to attribute motivations, especially negative motivations, and to imply they are facts are what I have the issue with. None of us know the reasons and we probably never will. I prefer to think the best of everyone until proven wrong, and so these negative motivations aren't obvious to me, especially as the result did not come close to satisfying the supposed motivation.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.