Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn's voice

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn's voice

I love his voice in Smugglers Blues too! I think I might have mentioned that already. Right now i'm on Spotify listening to all his solo stuff, I like Common Ground so far. His voice is awesome all the time, I just don't like the music of most of these songs so far.

Oh my..."I've Got Mine"...really loving his voice in this song!!! It's so soft and breathy!
    Last edited by AstraeaLunaAvani; 04-11-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I'm gradually working my way through Glenn's back catalogue but one thing that suprises me is how young he sounds even in the most recent recordings. I would never have matched that voice to a man in his sixties.

It does seem a real shame that he sang less and less as time went on within the Eagles. For me, the diversity of singing voices was one of the strengths of the band.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 08-25-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm gradually working my way through Glenn's back catalogue but one thing that suprises me is how young he sounds even in the most recent recordings. I wouldn't never have matched that voice to a man in his sixties.

It does seem a real shame that he sang less and less as time went on within the Eagles. For me, the diversity of singing voices was one of the strengths of the band.
    I couldn't agree with you more about this, UTW. As a matter of fact, I just commented in another thread how much appreciation I have for bands that use multiple lead vocalists. As they say "Variety is the spice of life". I, obviously, don't know this, but reading in between the lines, I get the impression that the guys in the band also realize this more now than they did back in the day.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree. I've mentioned on here also that I like bands that have multiple lead singers. That was something I really appreciated in the Eagles when I first heard them. I also hoping, like Dreamer, that Glenn now realizes that the fans want to hear him, too. The idea that Glenn didn't have to sing as much because they had Don Henley is flawed. They are two totally different types of singers, with their own styles and cadences, and fans enjoy both of their voices and know that they both contribute to make that wonderful Eagles sound.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Exactly. If I just want to hear Don Henley I'll buy a solo album. Part of the Eagles magic is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Sometimes a song is more suited to Glenn, Joe, or Timothy than it is to Don, and while Don's talents are considerable, his bandmates have their own strengths. The Eagles are at their best when they utilize everyone.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I believe that the Eagles' initial success in the early '70s and enduring popularity is due to the fact that they used multiple lead singers. I have never heard anyone say, "Gosh, I wish we could hear less of Randy" - never! "Wish we could hear less of Timothy" - never! "Wish we could hear less of Glenn" - NEVER. Same for Joe. Its what makes the band so cool. People seem to love hearing Bernie on this tour. I can't think of any band that has that level of vocal talent from 6 members (sorry, not including Felder here - he may be a fine singer). Not to mention their musicianship...it's so cool that they can all hold their own at the pinnacle of their industry - voice and instrument-wise. No other band has that.

Stuck on the Border

When you see Glenn by himself you realise how good he is. When you hear the After Hours album, it is a revelation. I am still coming to terms with it.

It was very gratifiying for me that he sang about half of LROOE. This needed to happen, in my view. Less gratifying is that in Eagles shows he still sings most of his songs in the first half of the setlist and he mainly does ballads. He has even slowed down Heartache Tonight now.

Well even though this is a little off-topic for this thread, I'll go ahead and respond to FP. To me it makes perfect sense that Glenn song's in the Eagles shows are mainly ballads - after all, many of his Eagles hits are ballads. The only uptempo hits that he has are Take It Easy, Already Gone, and Heartache Tonight (I guess you could also count How Long if you want to consider it a hit). Since the second half of the Eagles shows are more uptempo and rocking, it's not surprising to me that a lot of Glenn's hits are sung in the first half. Honestly, I don't really think it's that disproportionate. I guess he could move Already Gone to the second half of the show, and then it would be about an even split.

Speaking of Glenn's voice...

During the bonus segments of the "Farewell I" DVD, you can CLEARLY notice that Glenn is fighting a cold or possibly bronchitis and you can see him struggling to hit notes. Did he go onstage while ill for the filming of "Farewell I - Live From Melbourne"? It seems like it to me...

Tony - I have noticed all of the guys struggling with their voices at times, which I think is a natural phenomenon at their age. However, I didn't really notice Glenn struggling with his voice on the Farewell I DVD. I think his voice is just more 'nasally' now than it was when he was younger. I have seen him perform live when he actually did have a cold or sinus infection, but that didn't seem apparent to me here. Of course, it's possible that he did, but, I certainly didn't notice.