Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn's voice

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn's voice

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Speaking of Glenn's voice...

During the bonus segments of the "Farewell I" DVD, you can CLEARLY notice that Glenn is fighting a cold or possibly bronchitis and you can see him struggling to hit notes. Did he go onstage while ill for the filming of "Farewell I - Live From Melbourne"? It seems like it to me...
    I was at one of those shows & four of the subsequent Sydney shows & his voice was perfect. It was Don who struggled. This may sound like bias but it is how I saw it at the time.

I thought he sounded great.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I thought he sounded great.
    So did I!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Me too! As a matter of fact, I don't know what they sounded like at the live shows, but to me they all sound great on the DVD. Honestly, I don't think the DVD would have ever seen the light of day if any of the guys voices had been inferior.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've never noticed that he sounded 'off' on either the original DVD or the newer Blu ray. To me he sounds (and looks) superb on both!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

It has always seemed to me like Don was struggling with a throat issue. He sounded great, but not nearly as great as the live shows I've seen. There are times in the video that he seems to have to really work just to sing. Swallowing hard before a line, and he doesn't do that now. I've wondered if he was having a flare up of the tonsils for the show(s).

I didn't notice any issues with Glenn's voice, but there were a few moments where he, too, had to work to make it happen. I'm not totally sure what the point of the post was, but if anyone can sing something as well in their late 50's as they did in their 20's, then they were singing nursery rhymes in their 20's. Even the great Sinatra struggled once he hit his 40's.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

As VA said - it's very common for the voice to change as you get older. Lots of my favorite singers can't hit the high notes anymore. Doesn't mean they are suddenly not great, quite the opposite.

I've noticed a couple songs have lowered keys, like HC and Boys Of Summer (when they were doing that one). It's just bound to happen, really.

Both Glenn and Don's voice sounds great right now. They may not be able to hit the highest notes anymore or have dropped the key a bit, but as I said, that's pretty much the norm.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Depressingly, it's more noticable for women, and seems to start at an earlier age. That's OK, I screech it out anyway...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Depressingly, it's more noticable for women, and seems to start at an earlier age. That's OK, I screech it out anyway...
    The only one that comes to mind that can still hit them all is Ann Wilson. It's amazing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Well, we have Don's voice topic where people wondered how he started singing & it was basically by accident.

Glenn started by playing piano. I think it was after he saw the Beatles that he realised that he wanted to play guitar & sing. But when did he realise he could sing? As with Don, did someone tell him or did he just start & discover as soon as he joined a band that he could sing? You have to start somewhere. What were his first, tentative efforrts like? Did he sing along with the radio?

As for the Satisfaction story how did he decide he could sing it & why? Needless to say, I would love to hear it.

Of course, his first recorded efforrts with the Mushrooms & Longbranch Pennywhistle don't show his talents at all. To get an idea of how great he was going to be you have to listen to his backing vocal on Seger's Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. This of course reminds you that he is a great backing singer as well as a great lead singer, which is significant.

One of my favourite things is listening to him talk about singing; for example in the Today Show interview he says how for piano singing he had to change his breathing & how he held the notes. He introduced HTL in Sydney by saying something about becoming more confident about what he could do with his voice the further he went into making the album & that is why he decided to try HTL.

This is something I have always been interested in & I am quite surprised the subject has never come up; for Don as well.