Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's voice

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn's voice

Agree that Glenn is a great backing and harmony singer. I've always wondered on which songs it is just him and Timothy singing on a song that Don sings lead on. Does that make sense? Without Joe, Steuart, or any other of the musicians? Also, on what Eagles songs does just Glenn sing backup by himself? I would love to see a diagram for each song they're playing on this tour as far as who comes up to the mike and when!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Agree that Glenn is a great backing and harmony singer. I've always wondered on which songs it is just him and Timothy singing on a song that Don sings lead on. Does that make sense? Without Joe, Steuart, or any other of the musicians? Also, on what Eagles songs does just Glenn sing backup by himself? I would love to see a diagram for each song they're playing on this tour as far as who comes up to the mike and when!
    Off the top of my head, I can't recall ever seeing only Glenn & Tim singing backup with Don on stage & Glenn certainly does not do it by himself. The closest he got was the title track of LROOE but that had a chorus on which the other members sang.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I may be using incorrect terminology when I say backup. Is that the same as singing the chorus?

Thanks for that FP. It always makes you wonder how the guys got their chops or how they develop their voice. Was it an accident like you said about Don or it develop over time and you wanted to let it out.

Do we know if Glenn was in the choir in high school? We know he was in the band, but did he join his school choir?

I will check out Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on YouTube. If I can find out.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I may be using incorrect terminology when I say backup. Is that the same as singing the chorus?

Backup is singing harmonies or another part. So when Glenn sings parts of Lyin' Eyes & Don is singing with him, Don is singing backup. When Don sings the verses in LROOE such as 'freeways flickering/cell phones chiming a tune' Glenn is singing backup with him. Tim sings backup in the line 'standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona' in Take It Easy. Obviously the chorus parts also count as backup singing.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Thanks for that FP. It always makes you wonder how the guys got their chops or how they develop their voice. Was it an accident like you said about Don or it develop over time and you wanted to let it out.

Do we know if Glenn was in the choir in high school? We know he was in the band, but did he join his school choir?

I will check out Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on YouTube. If I can find out.
    You see, this is what I don't know. I have no information on how Glenn started singing.

Stuck on the Border

He was invited to join The Four of Us which was an established harmony group so that's where he may have learned about harmonies.

I find "Get you in the Mood" interesting because to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like Robert Plant. (I know that sounds silly but that's what I get from it).

What I like about his solo career is they way he tried new things with his voice. In one interview, he said Bob Seger encouraged him for his first solo effort.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-30-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Stuck on the Border

The vocal in Outlaw Man sort of makes me go, "That's Glenn Frey, right there". If I had to choose just one song to play to someone, to introduce Glenn's voice (or any Eagles voice), that could be the one.
    In some songs Glenn sounds very romantic, in some songs (Out Of Control) he sounds very tough. Outlaw Man is - kind of - in between. It's magnificent. I'm not a huge fan when he gets very sentimental.

I tend to think of Glenn as a pure singer, in that he can sing just about any style and blend into it. But it's funny, as much as he's wanted to be a rocker all these years, he sounds best on ballads, I think. Like buttah!
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    He was invited to join The Four of Us which was an established harmony group so that's where he may have learned about harmonies.

I find "Get you in the Mood" interesting because to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like Robert Plant. (I know that sounds silly but that's what I get from it).

What I like about his solo career is they way he tried new things with his voice. In one interview, he said Bob Seger encouraged him for his first solo effort.
    Interesting. I love them both. It isn't a comparison I would not have made myself except that Glenn has not really tried to sing that way since then.