Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's voice

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn's voice

On the other hand, I can see what the reviewer was saying, because that sort of thing is what the Eagles were going for. They seem to always want to be like the fans, for the most part. They wanted their success to be about the songs themselves. Given that, saying that a voice is like the sound of a friend isn't a bad thing. Maybe because it's somewhat the same for me, when I'm homesick or stressed out or sick, Glenn's voice is very comforting. When I'm having a really good day, his voice is what I want to hear.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Glenn's voice has always been overlooked by the critics; that is absolutely correct. And perhaps because his delivery isn't melodramatic & (when singing with the Eagles) he doesn't call that much attention to himself, perhaps the quality of the actual voice is easy to miss. But it's there, for heaven's sake, in NKIT & Lyin' Eyes & Tequila Sunrise. It's there. It's also there in the occasional uptempo song he sings with the Eagles.

How I wish some of the people who dismiss his voice so cavalierly would either listen to After Hours or had seen the After Hours tour.
    People who are dismissive of Glenn's voice have always mystified me. There's a reason why "Lyin' Eyes" and "Heartache Tonight" won freaking GRAMMYS for best pop/rock vocal. While the former is boosted by those great Eagles harmonies, Glenn pretty much carries the latter by himself.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I didn't see that as being dismissive of his voice. There are voices out there that grab attention because of their power or the extremes they are pushed to and they get the attention from critics and the general public. For me, Glenn has a voice that sneaks in without bringing a lot of attention to itself. It may be deliberate - I'm thinking of his comment about American Idol encouraging oversinging so I'm extrapolating that he sings in a way that he believes serves the song best rather than shows off his voice. He often sounds relaxed and warm and friendly, so the best friend analogy works for me.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I just discovered this thread last night while searching for the SOS thread.

I've loved Glenn's voice since before I knew who he was. I've been singing Already Gone since I was a kid (although I called it Victory Song as a kid because my mom thought that that was the name of the song). I found the song Outlaw Man as a 15 y/o surfing the web. I fell in love with it immediately. (I don't know I didn't look up the Eagles then for more info lol).

I love how diverse Glenn's voice is. The same guy that did Smuggler's Blues is the same guy who sang NKIT? It still amazes me! While I'm not a big After Hours fan(it's not my kind of music), I agree with the majority here that Glenn does some of his best singing on it. I can listen to Glenn's voice and not get tired of it. It's so beautiful and smooth, yet he can have that amazing growl.

My favorite Glenn singing moment is the deep growl "Smuggler's Blues" at the end of the song. It just does something to me.

The are others, but they would require more thought to explain why I like them.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Have you heard him take the lead on 'Somebody' AG?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Have you heard him take the lead on 'Somebody' AG?
    Yes, I have. That song threw me for a minute. "Who's singing? It isn't Don, Joe, or Timothy. Is it really Glenn?". Halfway through the song, I realized that Glenn was the singer. The creepy voice took a few listens to get used to. Now, I love the song.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Maybe this is a bit of a controversial take, but I always thought Glenn patterned himself at least somewhat after Richie Furay. When I first heard "Pickin' Up the Pieces" and "Good Feeling to Know," I thought Glenn was singing for a few seconds.

This might be an even more controversial take, but I also thought that the Eagles wouldn't have hurt their sound if they had brought Richie in after Glenn's death instead of the new members.

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Maybe this is a bit of a controversial take, but I always thought Glenn patterned himself at least somewhat after Richie Furay. When I first heard "Pickin' Up the Pieces" and "Good Feeling to Know," I thought Glenn was singing for a few seconds.

This might be an even more controversial take, but I also thought that the Eagles wouldn't have hurt their sound if they had brought Richie in after Glenn's death instead of the new members.
    Well, I don't hear it myself. Glenn listened to everybody, but said he learned how to sing country from J.D Souther. I really like Richie Furay, but feel Glenn was a far superior singer.

If you look back at old threads, you will see a number of folks on this forum did not think that Glenn could or should be replaced. It was hotly debated at great length, and I don't think most people (IMO) care to see the discussion re-hashed. I'm not suggesting that you have bad intentions. But there were hurt feelings all around. Separate threads were even created for the differing views to avoid heated conflicts. Reading those could partly explain opinions held on the subject, and replacements suggested at the time. Presumably everyone here loves at least one incarnation of the group, so let's celebrate that.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Well said Freyfollower. If I may add my two cents on Glenn’s voice. What I love is how he never over sang . And can be so smooth (Get you in the mood) yet rock all in one. His voice sounds so effortless, natural. Beautiful. Hard to pick a favorite of course.

KW: So true!

thebagels: A similar, far less loaded query might be..."If you could make up an Eagles tribute band from soloists or members of other bands from any era, who would you pick for each part, and why?" Don't know if this has been discussed, but covers similar territory, and includes all members.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."