Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

You have, obviously, no idea what kind of life Randy has been living the past number of years...I don't imagine there is much moolah left in the pot...Although,thanks to the Eagles, there's always some coming in....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    You have, obviously, no idea what kind of life Randy has been living the past number of years...I don't imagine there is much moolah left in the pot...Although,thanks to the Eagles, there's always some coming in....
    I'm curious. What do you mean? What kind of life has he been living?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It was a feel good tale to hear that the Eagles helped Randy out with medical bills but it's not an accurate reflection of Randy's financial circumstances. It was a nice gesture, gratefully received, I expect.

I heard a couple of years ago that the UK has received overseas aid from countries that we've helped out in the past. We're supposed to be one of the richest nations in the world but it's still an honourable thing to do to accept generous donations.

I'm very comfortable with Henley changing his mind. He's the one who apparently said the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over before Hell Freezes Over It's good that he's opinion can be manipulated. He's just slipped the Deacon Frey story out, probably against an agreed protocol.

I don't think Don's chasing money as much as prestige. Who wants to be halfway up, when you're used to being top of the tree.
    You might be right on money vs. fame (or relevance), but it would seem to me Henley has plenty of both. Do you think he now feels as if it is his band now that Frey is gone, and will do with it as he pleases?

As to Meisner, I don't know about you, but I do not accept others offering to pay for something I can afford myself.

I suspect you referred to the paying of the medical bills as a tale, because we obviously do not know for certain that it occurred, or was even significant.
    My main question is why would Meisner accept it if he could afford it on his own?
    I think your UK analogy falls flat as there are too many competing interests who would insist on the repayment, vs. those who never intended to have it repaid or thought that it would. Also a previous administration/generation might feel very differently than one today.

`
    `

Banned

Who said anything about repayments. I'm talking about a gift, sharing a bumper harvest.

Referring to Meisner. I believe the band were attempting to persuade Randy to get himself fit enough to take some part in the History Of The Eagles tour. They could have paid some bills without his permission as a show of support and reassured him that tax breaks would cover it. Randy would know that the Eagles are a business, not a charitable organisation.

I prefer to speculate about the future rather than the past. Wouldn't it be great if Randy turned up as a guest at Henley's birthday bash in a fewmonths time.

I don't think Henley will see the Eagles as his baby now. They all have solo careers to indulge themselves. I believe Don, Joe and Tim will treat the band as a collaboration. They've always been more successful when they've collaborated. I still expect Joe and Tim to defer to Henley though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    You might be right on money vs. fame (or relevance), but it would seem to me Henley has plenty of both. Do you think he now feels as if it is his band now that Frey is gone, and will do with it as he pleases?

As to Meisner, I don't know about you, but I do not accept others offering to pay for something I can afford myself.

I suspect you referred to the paying of the medical bills as a tale, because we obviously do not know for certain that it occurred, or was even significant.
    My main question is why would Meisner accept it if he could afford it on his own?
    I think your UK analogy falls flat as there are too many competing interests who would insist on the repayment, vs. those who never intended to have it repaid or thought that it would. Also a previous administration/generation might feel very differently than one today.

`
    There seems to be a pattern. You ask a question, someone answers it, then some time later you ask the question again. I suppose it's a way to keep this thread alive.

We don't know the details of what happened. We only know that the Eagles paid for Randy's hospital bills b/c Randy himself revealed it after Glenn died. It could be it was all arranged while Randy was still in a coma. It could be he didn't even know it was done until he went to settle his bill (and many times benefactors ask to keep the deed under wraps until the last possible minute). This is, in fact, the impression I got based on something I read awhile back. I don't remember where.

If Randy found out after everything was taken care of, I don't imagine he would be inclined to refuse it and tell them to take it back. That would seem ungracious, especially after he may have been invited to go back and tour with them. Maybe it really did help him a lot financially. Maybe a part of him thought he was entitled to a bit more of Eagles wealth. Again we don't know.

We cannot assume Glenn, Don or Irving were close enough to Randy to know what his financial state was. Randy does not strike me as a big spender with a lavish lifestyle. He made investments. He grew up early on a farm with Mid-western values where he no doubt learned the lessons of frugality. At any rate, sometimes people help out old friends and colleagues for old time's sake, out of gratitude and sentiment. In this case, the Eagles were ready to invite Randy on the HOTE tour and then this setback occurred. So an act of kindness can be just that; it doesn't have to be b/c someone is destitute and penniless.

If you want to continue to believe that he and Bernie were stupid for giving up their shares for "pennies on the dollar" in exchange for a royalties deal that Bernie himself described is like having an album go platinum every year, go right ahead. We don't know all the details of the exit agreement they signed, but if you want to second-guess their decisions b/c you know better than they, you're free to do so. Just be aware not all of us agree with your assessment.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - Thank You, Thank You, Thank You ! No matter how many times Vector hears the truth he will debate it. Below is a quote from Randy from the NY Daily News dated 1/19/16, the day after Glenn passed. I am sorry but I do no know how to forward the whole article here.

"When Meisner suffered his own medical scare in 2013 and 2014, his Eagles bandmates helped him out financially, he said.
    "I aspirated some food into my throat and choked," he said. "I was in a coma for a little while, too. They paid for everything, me being in the hospital."

The words from Randy's mouth directly!!!! Because they paid Randy's medical bills does not mean he is poor with no money. It could be considered a gift of friendship. People mature. When all that went down they were in their 20's, young and immature. When they paid his bills they were all in their early 60's. Obviously time had healed those wounds. Randy spoke of his distress of Glenn's passing and their fun times together. Don, Glenn, Randy and Bernie had amended any bad feeling towards each other. They had asked Randy to participate in the HOTE Tour and due to those and other health problems, Randy was unable to do so.

Randy does not have money problems, he is not poor or destitute. This was a gesture of friends helping friends. What you claim is an insult to what Randy and Bernie have said in their own words. Vector, why do you always have to make it into something more than it is ? You just keep rehashing the same things over and over - for 4 years ! Please try to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Delilah - Thank You, Thank You, Thank You ! No matter how many times Vector hears the truth he will debate it. Below is a quote from Randy from the NY Daily News dated 1/19/16, the day after Glenn passed. I am sorry but I do no know how to forward the whole article here.

"When Meisner suffered his own medical scare in 2013 and 2014, his Eagles bandmates helped him out financially, he said.
    "I aspirated some food into my throat and choked," he said. "I was in a coma for a little while, too. They paid for everything, me being in the hospital."

The words from Randy's mouth directly!!!! Because they paid Randy's medical bills does not mean he is poor with no money. It could be considered a gift of friendship. People mature. When all that went down they were in their 20's, young and immature. When they paid his bills they were all in their early 60's. Obviously time had healed those wounds. Randy spoke of his distress of Glenn's passing and their fun times together. Don, Glenn, Randy and Bernie had amended any bad feeling towards each other. They had asked Randy to participate in the HOTE Tour and due to those and other health problems, Randy was unable to do so.

Randy does not have money problems, he is not poor or destitute. This was a gesture of friends helping friends. What you claim is an insult to what Randy and Bernie have said in their own words. Vector, why do you always have to make it into something more than it is ? You just keep rehashing the same things over and over - for 4 years ! Please try to move on.
    Agree with Both New Kid and Delilah. Randy did say the Eagles had paid his medical. Let's just accept that and move on. It is the truth, so why not accept the words of a 71 year old man and go on. Wishing Randy good health and happiness in the future!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

What this has me thinking about is that many people are pretty happy with their lot without being multi-millionaires. There was that interview with Randy in 2001 (which is now being posted in parts on youtube - see the Randy section of this board) where he sounded very content with his life as it was then. Bernie sounds like he has no real regrets - in one interview he spoke about his son asking him about this and his answer was that if hee had stayed with the band, he wouldn't have met his son's mother and his son wouldn't exist, so he's happy with the way it turned out.

Another who always sounds happy with his lot is Jack Tempchin. His work with Eagles and Glenn allowed him to live the kind of life he wanted without the hassle of being a "rock star". I recommend this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Who said anything about repayments. I'm talking about a gift, sharing a bumper harvest.

Referring to Meisner. I believe the band were attempting to persuade Randy to get himself fit enough to take some part in the History Of The Eagles tour. They could have paid some bills without his permission as a show of support and reassured him that tax breaks would cover it. Randy would know that the Eagles are a business, not a charitable organisation.

I prefer to speculate about the future rather than the past. Wouldn't it be great if Randy turned up as a guest at Henley's birthday bash in a fewmonths time.

I don't think Henley will see the Eagles as his baby now. They all have solo careers to indulge themselves. I believe Don, Joe and Tim will treat the band as a collaboration. They've always been more successful when they've collaborated. I still expect Joe and Tim to defer to Henley though.
    It looks like a poster after you has some additional info regarding what Meisner is claimed to have said regarding the medical bill payment. I have no reason to doubt the story, but no reason to believe it fully, and the speculative reasons for it being done either.
    [I would note that some fans take anything positive about their guy/s as gospel, and anything negative as a lie]

As to the possible reason, your guess sounds as good as any I have heard yet. Just like they did with Walsh who was killing himself, they helped to get him sober. This was done in part to help him as a friend, but also to help the group. As Azoff said in the HOE doc, "they needed at least one of the guitar players".
    As to Meisner turning up for Henley's bash, yes that would be. Frankly, I'd like to see Henley invite all his old bandmates, including Felder & Leadon.

Regarding Henley and it being "his", I was not sure what your thoughts were. Clearly he owns the Eagles and makes all the major decisions. Still, he needs the other guys to tour as the Eagles, as him going out solo is a different animal.
    If he were to invite all the previous members back for the upcoming East/West concerts, that would show a willingness to "get over it" and heal the wounds.
    The latest I heard is that he will invite Frey's son to be a member, and at least one of the former members. That would most likely be Leadon, since he recently toured with them. Yet I am hoping an invite will go out to Meisner & Felder as well, even if they cannot make it for various reasons.
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    There seems to be a pattern. You ask a question, someone answers it, then some time later you ask the question again. I suppose it's a way to keep this thread alive.
    How about you focus on the theme of the thread, rather than speculate on my posting style and/or motivation in being here.

If Randy found out after everything was taken care of, I don't imagine he would be inclined to refuse it and tell them to take it back. That would seem ungracious,

Well there are two ways to look at what you just said. On the one hand that could very well be the way some people think.
    Others would consider it charity, and not accept it from anyone, family/friend or foe.
    Personally I do not accept large/expensive "gifts" from anyone, especially from someone financially well off, as it will always come across as charity. I also do not like to get gifts that are too expensive, as it makes me feel obligated to then buy them a gift of equal or greater value. Paying what was undoubtedly tens of thousands of dollars for medical care would certainly fit into that category.

especially after he may have been invited to go back and tour with them.

If that were only true.
    I know rumors/speculation/claims are that he was invited, but there does not seem to be anything corroborated on that front. You'd think Meisner would have said as much if it were the case, right?

Maybe a part of him thought he was entitled to a bit more of Eagles wealth. Again we don't know.

Frankly, I do not see how he or anyone in his position could think otherwise. If Eliots book is to be believed as it relates to Meisner, he felt not only bullied out of the band, but his career scuttled by Azoff at the behest of at least Henley. He also felt as if he and Leadon were screwed over regarding the HFO album/tour.

If you want to continue to believe that he and Bernie were stupid for giving up their shares for "pennies on the dollar" in exchange for a royalties deal that Bernie himself described is like having an album go platinum every year, go right ahead.

There is little doubt about this, though I wouldn't characterize them as being personally stupid. To some people, they will walk away for their own reasons, such as seems to be the case of Leadon. He was not bullied in the same way Meisner was, he just didn't like the direction the band was headed in. So I feel more sorry for Meisner than Leadon, as he had a passive nature. You know how some peoples personality are too nice to protect their own interests?

Clearly Frey/Henley staked out the lions share of what was Eagles Ltd. I am not taking about the extra money they made for being the credited authors of lyrics/music, as they deserved more for that as is an industry standard. I am talking about the wealth they derived by deciding which songs were going to be chosen (typically their own), and the future wealth they enjoyed as a result of driving out the other co-owners of the corporation. A two way split is always more lucrative than a 5 way split. There is no denying this.

We don't know all the details of the exit agreement they signed, but if you want to second-guess their decisions b/c you know better than they, you're free to do so.

Your correct on that, as for example we do not know all the details of the legal settlement with Felder. Some speculate it was a few million, others hundreds of million.

However just as fans of the group and this forum speculate on everything they are not privy to, this band more than most have kept much to themselves. That of course feeds into the speculation. Heck what Henley is supposedly doing now with not naming which former member/s will be doing the East/West concerts. He supposedly just announced Frey's son will be a part of it, then added the mystery player to the announcement. Frankly, I am happy to hear Frey's son will participate, though I have no clue what quality of a musician he is.
    If he invites everyone back, I'd gain some of the respect I lost for him.

Just be aware not all of us agree with your assessment.

It is hard not miss it.
    Sure, I understand that, as I clearly do not agree with what some posters perspectives are either.
    That is all part of the greatness of freedom of expression/thought. Still it is nice when exchanges of ideas results in better understanding of how other s think. This is true even if we do not change our overall perspective. We need a lot more of that in our country now, rather than people being shouted down, or violence erupting to prevent people from expressing their viewpoints.
    Wouldn't you agree?
    `