Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    No one is going to spend hours browsing through the 72 pages of the Don Felder press/blog thread to look for interviews for people who don't bother to go there themselves. It's all there. If you won't go there yourself, then you won't.

To anyone who chooses to comprehend: Personally I didn't have any negative thoughts about Don F until I saw him badmouth Glenn - first in his book and then in countless interviews - even to the point of contradicting himself to make Glenn look bad in an interview. And I mean badmouthing, not just telling his side of a story.

EDIT:

I did say that I'll stop discussing Don F's comments about Glenn that irritate me, but I'll make an exception when someone suggests they might not exist.

EDIT-EDIT:

It seems the interview where Don F changed the "Iron lung" story is no longer online.
    I am not asking anyone to go through a ton of pages for me. Yet, how hard could it possibly be to post the link to the thread you are referring to?

As to you and others saying Felder made disparaging comments about Frey(especially after his passing) just does not jibe with what I have consistently heard and read from him.
    Would I stake big money on it?
    Of course not, as I don't know Felder from the guy on the street.
    It just seems very out of character based on the aforementioned.
    `

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    I am not asking anyone to go through a ton of pages for me. Yet, how hard could it possibly be to post the link to the thread you are referring to?

As to you and others saying Felder made disparaging comments about Frey(especially after his passing) just does not jibe with what I have consistently heard and read from him.
    Would I stake big money on it?
    Of course not, as I don't know Felder from the guy on the street.
    It just seems very out of character based on the aforementioned.
    And how hard could it possibly be to go to the Felder forum and look for the topic with "Felder" and "press/blogs" in the title, which has been referred to many times? Here it is. Took about ten seconds. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=4680

So now I have said that Felder has insulted Glenn especially after his passing? This is getting hilarious.

EDIT:

The one example I always remember is Victim of Love. In his book Felder says that he called it "Iron lung", because the riff reminded him of his childhood illness. Later he said in an interview that "someone, probably Glenn" called it "Iron lung" and that he found it offensive. A few days ago I tried to find that interview for you.

I'm not going to choose a corner and keep fighting with all I've got from there even if I make no sense (especially since I don't have anything against you or anyone else here), so I will say that when you go to that thread, you (or anybody else) will probably find occasions where I have misinterpreted something Felder has said as well.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-30-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Banned

For my part, I'd like to see the Eagles heal their wounds and bring some closure to all the bitterness. Maybe the upcoming concerts rumored to be occurring will be the elixir.
    Didn't that happen for HFO, and the old frictions soon crept back. Felder was extremely bitter even when he was in the band. I felt Felder's sacking showed that starting afresh was an error they didn't plan on repeating. Glenn's death is a wound that wont heal imho.

The Eagles are a business. If the rewards are worth the work they put in, they'll keep going. I don't sense any bitterness from Don, Joe or Tim. To get to the top of your profession, as Eagles have done, you need a head for business that isn't clouded by such human emotions.

Compared to Glenn and Randy, Felder's a minor loss.

Stuck on the Border

I did go back and look for examples of Felder making snarky remarks in interviews but didn't have much luck. Many of the old interviews, particularly on youtube, are no longer available. From memory, the Jeff Prost interview was pretty obnoxious with an obsequious host encouraging Don to air his grievances. However, what this shows me is that Don has been less negative in recent interviews and that's a good thing.

I think most people - even Frey fans - can understand Felder's side of the story because he's written and said so much. It requires a little more effort and imagination to see Frey's side and Henley's side (not always the same thing) but I think it's worth doing.

Or better still, just stop worrying about things you have no influence over (and which took place long ago) and just enjoy the music.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    And how hard could it possibly be to go to the Felder forum and look for the topic with "Felder" and "press/blogs" in the title, which has been referred to many times? Here it is. Took about ten seconds. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=4680

So now I have said that Felder has insulted Glenn especially after his passing? This is getting hilarious.

EDIT:

The one example I always remember is Victim of Love. In his book Felder says that he called it "Iron lung", because the riff reminded him of his childhood illness. Later he said in an interview that "someone, probably Glenn" called it "Iron lung" and that he found it offensive. A few days ago I tried to find that interview for you.

I'm not going to choose a corner and keep fighting with all I've got from there even if I make no sense (especially since I don't have anything against you or anyone else here), so I will say that when you go to that thread, you (or anybody else) will probably find occasions where I have misinterpreted something Felder has said as well.
    For starters, I didn't know the thread in question would be in the "Felder forum", nor did I know which thread (presumably there are plenty) you were referring to.
    But thanks for the link, as I now have a place to look.

Though I do not relish trying to scan through a ton of pages (I think you or someone said 70+), I am curious as to how bad the disrespect might be. Felder is no angel and has admitted as much.
    Yet some of the claims I've read about him bad mouthing Frey seem out of character.

Now I am not sure I understand what you mean by what I put in bold. While most posters here seem to have a favorite individual Eagle, some also clearly have at least one member they dislike. Could it be that Felder falls into that category with you?

If a poll was taken on this forum, I have to guess that Felder would be the most disliked. If the poll were public, I'd bet that would be especially true among Frey & Henley fans.
    They seem to personalize their dislike of Felder, and I suppose it is because he has pointed out some unflattering things about those two.
    Even if they do not actively dislike Felder, they tend to diminish his contributions. This is especially true when they quote Frey from the HOE documentary, making it sound like Felder couldn't sing, and just sent them a bunch of guitar licks with nothing else and they (meaning Frey/Henley) created HC from one of the few usable ones. Needless to say, most of the books/interviews do not back up such a menial role for Felder in the group, but what some of Frey/Henley fans hear from them is taken as gospel.
    I imagine the same is true of Felder fans, but who is to say any of their recollection is even accurate?

I ask this not because of them being dishonest per se, nor even the inherent bias in favor of themselves, vs. bias against someone who they are critical of.
    Instead it can be the ravages of drugs, booze, sleep deprivation and even time.
    `

Stuck on the Border

For starters, I didn't know the thread in question would be in the "Felder forum", nor did I know which thread (presumably there are plenty) you were referring to.
    But thanks for the link, as I now have a place to look.

Though I do not relish trying to scan through a ton of pages (I think you or someone said 70+), I am curious as to how bad the disrespect might be. Felder is no angel and has admitted as much.
    Yet some of the claims I've read about him bad mouthing Frey seem out of character.

Now I am not sure I understand what you mean by what I put in bold. While most posters here seem to have a favorite individual Eagle, some also clearly have at least one member they dislike. Could it be that Felder falls into that category with you?

If a poll was taken on this forum, I have to guess that Felder would be the most disliked. If the poll were public, I'd bet that would be especially true among Frey & Henley fans.
    They seem to personalize their dislike of Felder, and I suppose it is because he has pointed out some unflattering things about those two.
    Even if they do not actively dislike Felder, they tend to diminish his contributions. This is especially true when they quote Frey from the HOE documentary, making it sound like Felder couldn't sing, and just sent them a bunch of guitar licks with nothing else and they (meaning Frey/Henley) created HC from one of the few usable ones. Needless to say, most of the books/interviews do not back up such a menial role for Felder in the group, but what some of Frey/Henley fans hear from them is taken as gospel.
    I imagine the same is true of Felder fans, but who is to say any of their recollection is even accurate?

I ask this not because of them being dishonest per se, nor even the inherent bias in favor of themselves, vs. bias against someone who they are critical of.
    Instead it can be the ravages of drugs, booze, sleep deprivation and even time.
    What I meant was...When I saw Don put down Glenn in his book (starting from the picture choice of Glenn) and in interviews at the time, it irritated me a lot - the way he did it, things he chose to talk about, suggesting to the reader/listener that how he felt about something was the truth about Glenn etc. (the "I'll tell you when" story etc.) And therefore I may have been guilty of misinterpreting something he has said later in that light. I'm not saying that I have, but I may have. I have posted a lot in that thread. Felder was never in my "members I don't like" category. None of them were. But starting with the book and then the interviews at the time, he seemed to have this "let's do everything to destroy Glenn's reputation" agenda. So it's possible that I have seen hints of Glenn bashing even when it wasn't there. And I say this because there are people in this forum who have seen the same things but read them totally differently, and I don't want to claim that my interpretations are always right. And however I feel about what he has said, it doesn't diminish his guitar contributions.

EDIT:

The "bipolar" thing wasn't that nice either. http://www.realrocknews.com/former-e...-tv-interview/
    But I've said all I've got to say about these ancient interviews years ago, so I won't discuss them again. Just threw an example here I managed to find. A lot of the interviews seem to have disappeared. I agree with UndertheWire in that Don has changed his conduct in interviews and it's a good thing.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-30-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Didn't that happen for HFO, and the old frictions soon crept back. Felder was extremely bitter even when he was in the band. I felt Felder's sacking showed that starting afresh was an error they didn't plan on repeating. Glenn's death is a wound that wont heal imho.

The Eagles are a business. If the rewards are worth the work they put in, they'll keep going. I don't sense any bitterness from Don, Joe or Tim. To get to the top of your profession, as Eagles have done, you need a head for business that isn't clouded by such human emotions.

Compared to Glenn and Randy, Felder's a minor loss.
    According to the HOE doc, Frey himself admitted to coercing Felder back into the group under the like it or lump it, Henley and I are going to get more scheme.
    That sowed the seeds of discontent once again.
    Felder was bitter, because he once again saw the hypocrisy of how Frey & Henley made the rules, but didn't feel the need to follow them. Additionally, they seem to get perks the others were not getting beyond money. He unlike previous members/owners was not going to be bullied and remain silent.
    The irony is that Frey toward the end of the doc said he had done a better job this time around. Yet it seemed apparent he still had some of his old bullying ways during the HFO tour. The doc made both he and Henley look bad to people who would have otherwise never known some of that stuff.

As to Frey's death being a wound that will never heal, I'd like to think that had he survived, he would have had a greater insight and found a way to bridge the divide.
    Now that he is gone and Henley seems intent on having the Eagles reform without Frey, I guess the allure of having all the former members back is too much money for him & Azoff to pass up.
    While it is pissing off Frey fans, it would appear Henley is straight up business.

Still I'd like to see all 6 living Eagles on stage, even if someone like Meisner only played a song or two. Needless to say TITTL would be a fan favorite.
    `

Stuck on the Border

According to the HOE doc, Frey himself admitted to coercing Felder back into the group under the like it or lump it, Henley and I are going to get more scheme.
    That sowed the seeds of discontent once again.
    Felder was bitter, because he once again saw the hypocrisy of how Frey & Henley made the rules, but didn't feel the need to follow them. Additionally, they seem to get perks the others were not getting beyond money. He unlike previous members/owners was not going to be bullied and remain silent.
    The irony is that Frey toward the end of the doc said he had done a better job this time around. Yet it seemed apparent he still had some of his old bullying ways during the HFO tour. The doc made both he and Henley look bad to people who would have otherwise never known some of that stuff.

As to Frey's death being a wound that will never heal, I'd like to think that had he survived, he would have had a greater insight and found a way to bridge the divide.
    Now that he is gone and Henley seems intent on having the Eagles reform without Frey, I guess the allure of having all the former members back is too much money for him & Azoff to pass up.
    While it is pissing off Frey fans, it would appear Henley is straight up business.

Still I'd like to see all 6 living Eagles on stage, even if someone like Meisner only played a song or two. Needless to say TITTL would be a fan favorite.
    There is no evidence that this will occur. There was one 'source' which was never backed up. The only one of them who could perhaps appear is Leadon.

As for Felder, if he was so unhappy he could have quit.

I know you want people to go over & over & over about all of this with you. I am not going to do it.

Stuck on the Border

Vector - I have one last comment on this thread and then I will never post on this again.
    To quote you "For starters, I didn't know the thread in question would be in the "Felder forum", nor did I know which thread (presumably there are plenty) you were referring to. But thanks for the link, as I now have a place to look".

Please, who do you think you are kidding. You know how this board works. You have posted in other threads, including most recently in the one regarding the DC Concert. So, if you expect people to believe you did not know what threads to look for or how to look for them after you have been on this thread since 2013. No matter what people say you keep saying the same shit every time. You will believe what you want to believe end of story. And, that is fine, but for pete sakes, give it a rest !!

Soda - Sorry for the cussing. I apologize.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Vector - I have one last comment on this thread and then I will never post on this again.
    To quote you "For starters, I didn't know the thread in question would be in the "Felder forum", nor did I know which thread (presumably there are plenty) you were referring to. But thanks for the link, as I now have a place to look".

Please, who do you think you are kidding. You know how this board works. You have posted in other threads, including most recently in the one regarding the DC Concert. So, if you expect people to believe you did not know what threads to look for or how to look for them after you have been on this thread since 2013 is just plain bs. No matter what people say you keep saying the same shit every time. You will believe what you want to believe end of story. And, that is fine, but for pete sakes, give it a rest !!

Soda - Sorry for the cussing. I apologize.
    Perhaps I'll leave this too. We can write about what we think and feel over and over again, but no matter how many times or how forcefully we say it, it will not become the truth (unless our perception happens to be correct, but we still can't be sure). It will still be what we think is the truth. I've said my truth many times already, so it's getting tired. I'm always willing to stand corrected, but the same old arguments will not do that. However, it's not a problem. I don't need to reach a situation where everyone sees everything the same way. If anything, I've learned to offer my thoughts less forcefully lately, and I certainly don't need to have the last word on everything.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-03-2017 at 05:27 AM.