Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I did go back and look for examples of Felder making snarky remarks in interviews but didn't have much luck. Many of the old interviews, particularly on youtube, are no longer available. From memory, the Jeff Prost interview was pretty obnoxious with an obsequious host encouraging Don to air his grievances. However, what this shows me is that Don has been less negative in recent interviews and that's a good thing.

I think most people - even Frey fans - can understand Felder's side of the story because he's written and said so much. It requires a little more effort and imagination to see Frey's side and Henley's side (not always the same thing) but I think it's worth doing.

Or better still, just stop worrying about things you have no influence over (and which took place long ago) and just enjoy the music.
    That has been my expereince as well. Outside of the book Felder wrote where he did have some critical things to say, most interviews I've seen are either neutral or positive toward Frey/Henley. He almost seems to go out of his way to compliment them on their talent/abilities, which is unusual for former band member to do about guys who kicked them out of the band. Regarding the Jeff Prost show, that one didn't seem to have negative things said by Felder toward Frey/Henley from what I can recall.

As to you believing that most Frey/Henley fans can empathize with what Felder wrote in the book, I think you are giving them far too much credit. Granted your average fan might, but the hardcore ones who frequent this board seem to take personal umbrage over any little comment.

However I do agree with you that people should look at the situation from Frey's/Henley's point of view also.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts they wish they had made Felder a member of the band, but not a full owner.
    Sure Frey felt it was important to not have hired hands which they all despised from their own personal experiences. Still, if they could have added Felder like they did with Walsh/Schmit, they could have had total control of the band, and said it will be our way or the highway. Felder (assuming he would have joined under those conditions) would have probably not then worried about how the money was being split, extra expenses Frey/Henley were charging, etc.
    Like most people, he would have shrugged his shoulders and accepted the boss will do what they want, and he must go along to get along.
    I think the same is true of Meisner and Leadon, as they seemed to resent being told what to do and how to do it from co-equals. If you are all the boss, then how can anyone tell the others what to do
    So I think both Frey/Henley regretted having made Felder a full owner. As Frey said in the doc, Felder was worried about how much money Frey was making, instead of focusing on how much money he was making. From their perspective, both Frey/Henley (rightly or wrongly) felt they were entitled to be the boss and get the lions share of the money. Having someone like Felder being a co-owner probably stuck in their craw.

As to your last suggestion, it is much easier said than done. For whatever reason, most of their music now has me thinking about who got screwed over and why.
    I certainly do not believe my disappointment as a fan will have a shred of influence over their future decisions. I'd just like to think that if they let go of the past and and move forward together, it might bring me back to where I was. Just enjoying the music for what it was, not thinking about all the dynamics that led to the break up, and them still being at odds with each other.
    If Henley had invited Leadon, Meisner, & Felder to the Kennedy Award for example, that might have done the trick. I think it was very petty on his part not to include them, as they were a huge part of the groups success. Still I hope he will someday come around, but I have serious doubts about it.

`
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There is no evidence that this will occur. There was one 'source' which was never backed up. The only one of them who could perhaps appear is Leadon.

As for Felder, if he was so unhappy he could have quit.
    Wait just a minute. While I suspect nothing is official yet, I have read and heard different sources (as recently as this morning where a DJ said the previous members would be playing in the East/West concerts) that it will happen.
    Does that mean Leadon alone, since "former members" would have to include more than just one of the three, right?

As to Felder quitting, as John McEnroe would say, "you cannot be serious". Would you just walk away from ownership in one of the most successful bands on the planet and let the other two guys profit from it alone?

Oh wait, isn't that essentially what Frey did by quitting the group much to the dismay of all the other members, including Henley?
    Granted Frey was not stupid enough to give up his shares for pennies on the dollar like Leadon and Meisner did, but Frey left the group, not the other way around.

I'd bet dollars to donuts the Frey fanatics would have freaked out if Henley, Felder and the two other guys decided to just go on without Frey when he promised to rejoin the group, then left them all hanging in the CA studio and he never showed up.
    Heck they seem to be freaking out now that Frey has passed, and the Eagles will be reconstituted in some form without him.

`
    `

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    The biploar thing wasn't that nice, but may not have been far off the mark. I noticed that in his statement on Glenn's death, Henley buried the word "mercurial" among the complimentary adjectives. I don't think he meant to be insulting to Glenn, but rather to paint a realistic portrait of Glenn's personality, instead of stooping to the view that once someone has passed, the memories of them are perfect. The word does confirm, though, that Frey's moods were up and down.

Still, Felder could have used a less insulting word, as Henley chose to do.
    I think you were responding to a different poster, but the word "mercurial" stuck a memory from the HOF.
    So while I am not sure where the bipolar stuff is coming from, but didn't Jackson Browne also say mercurial about Frey in what I perceived as a very positive comment?

`
    `

Stuck on the Border

Vector, you've repeated your assertion that Leadon and Meisner only received "pennies to the dollar" for their shares. What is the basis of this?

I thought you might find this blog about bands, brands and corporations interesting. It was written by John Hartmann who was a manager for Geffen-Roberts (and is one of the men standing on the back of the Desperado album) and later had his own agency where he managed acts such as America and Poco.

One thing to consider is by the standards of the music industry, everyone in the Eagles, past and present, did very well financially.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Vector, you've repeated your assertion that Leadon and Meisner only received "pennies to the dollar" for their shares. What is the basis of this?

I thought you might find this blog about bands, brands and corporations interesting. It was written by John Hartmann who was a manager for Geffen-Roberts (and is one of the men standing on the back of the Desperado album) and later had his own agency where he managed acts such as America and Poco.

One thing to consider is by the standards of the music industry, everyone in the Eagles, past and present, did very well financially.
    I will take the time to read that link, thanks.

On a related note, I found Schmit's comment about how all bands seemed on the verge of breaking up prophetic.
    It would seem as if the music industry, especially as it relates to bands, are ridden with strife in the form of egos, greed, and chemical abuse. The Eagles were obviously not immune nor the only victims of it.

As to pennies on the dollar, lets be real for a moment. While Leadon & Meisner both are likely rich compared with most of us, they are likely paupers compared to Frey, Henley and probably even Felder.
    All were owners in a very successful and wildly popular band.
    [Granted Leadon left before they achieved super stardom with the combo of Felder/Walsh taking them to new heights, but Randy was there long enough to reap some of the rewards]

Still we are talking about two owners who walked away or were bullied out, sold their shares back to Eagles Ltd (i.e. Frey/Henley/Felder). Sure they still receive to this day royalties from any song they are credited with (provided it was not rerecorded and re-released). Still, as one of the original 4 owners of Eagles Ltd, when compared to Frey/Henley, both Leadon/Meisner are poor.

It would seem that the Eagles, just like the book says, "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

`
    `

Banned

Randy and Bernie feature prominently on the biggest selling album of the 20th Century, I'd guess that they earned more money in their short time in the Eagles than they have during the rest of their careers and are still getting regular royalty checks. It certainly opened a lot of doors for them too. I bet their incomes compare favourably with their Poco and Flying Burrito Brothers pals(?) and the vast majority of prominent 21st Century musicians

A handful of years intense work, followed by decades of regular royalty cheques, could be considered a more desirable option than decades of pushing product and mountains of cash, you're never gonna use.

I'm sure Bernie enjoyed his time back in the limelight during the History Of The Eagles Tour and made a tidy sum too but he's shown no urge to use it as a springboard to further ventures into the spotlight. I'm guessing that he's happy with his lot.

Loved seeing the recent pics (on L&M's Eagles Facebook page) of Randy hanging out with some LA musicians. If only he had a bass guitar strapped across his loins

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Randy and Bernie feature prominently on the biggest selling album of the 20th Century, I'd guess that they earned more money in their short time in the Eagles than they have during the rest of their careers and are still getting regular royalty checks. It certainly opened a lot of doors for them too. I bet their incomes compare favourably with their Poco and Flying Burrito Brothers pals(?) and the vast majority of prominent 21st Century musicians

A handful of years intense work, followed by decades of regular royalty cheques, could be considered a more desirable option than decades of pushing product and mountains of cash, you're never gonna use.

I'm sure Bernie enjoyed his time back in the limelight during the History Of The Eagles Tour and made a tidy sum too but he's shown no urge to use it as a springboard to further ventures into the spotlight. I'm guessing that he's happy with his lot.

Loved seeing the recent pics (on L&M's Eagles Facebook page) of Randy hanging out with some LA musicians. If only he had a bass guitar strapped across his loins
    You seem to agree with what I said in regard to their(Leadon/Meisner) wealth is likely greater than most of us will hope to achieve. And while you are likely correct that they are doing ok with what they are currently making, in the larger scheme of things, few people want less money than they might otherwise have.
    In specific relation to Meisner, if the stories of Frey/Henley are to be believed that they have paid for some of Meisner's medical bills, one wonders why someone who is financially well off, needs others to pay his bills.
    This alone would lead many to believe that Meisner's financial situation is wanting, especially in comparison to his former band mates.

Obviously money is and was a driving force when it came to Frey/Henley, and Azoff certainly backed the right horses as money is very important to him.

That said, I think some Frey fans are now getting more of a complete picture of the makeup of Henley. They feel betrayed and Frey marginalized, all in the name of the almighty dollar.
    Why else would he have not only gone back on his word of the Eagles being done after Frey's death, but agreed to some type of a East/West coast concert with a reconstituted Eagles.
    To your earlier point, Henley & Azoff have more money than they or their heirs could ever hope to spend. So the fans wonder why diminish Frey's legacy to make even more money?

`
    `

Stuck on the Border

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
    Mr Micawber from David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

ETA: just to clarify that I don't mean to suggest that any of them are in debt, just to point out that expenditure is also a factor.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-16-2017 at 01:04 PM.

As he stated Henley may very well have been in shock when Glenn Frey passed away and he declared the Eagles done.

I don't know what's changed.

Glenn Frey is still gone.

Banned

It was a feel good tale to hear that the Eagles helped Randy out with medical bills but it's not an accurate reflection of Randy's financial circumstances. It was a nice gesture, gratefully received, I expect.

I heard a couple of years ago that the UK has received overseas aid from countries that we've helped out in the past. We're supposed to be one of the richest nations in the world but it's still an honourable thing to do to accept generous donations.

I'm very comfortable with Henley changing his mind. He's the one who apparently said the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over before Hell Freezes Over It's good that he's opinion can be manipulated. He's just slipped the Deacon Frey story out, probably against an agreed protocol.

I don't think Don's chasing money as much as prestige. Who wants to be halfway up, when you're used to being top of the tree.